XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #45
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
No problem Mario and good luck trying to get a freebie. Also I forgot to mention that if you don't already have them you will need to carry a tool to remove the inner part of the valve and also a compressor or pump.

Picking up my X1 on saturday. The tyres are Michelin Primacy ( summer ones!). Strange choice of tyre for a 4 x 4 car. Any problems and I'll need to consider changing them.
I have given up on the tyre question on the X1. Mine is shod with Pirelli Cinturatos (225/50/17) and is only 2 mnths old. You say yours will have Michelins and another member says his has Dunlops. I don't understand Bmws chopping and changing.

In addition my dealer said my tyres were all season and they have the right symbol for it, yet Pirelli say they are Summer tyres??? Aaaaaargh.......I give up Sod it, I am getting my winter tyres fitted on Saturday
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #46
DUH CAR
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: is everything!

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up No regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Sod it, I am getting my winter tyres fitted on Saturday
Good man. You won't ever regret having winter snow tires.
__________________
His: 2007 E93 335i
Hers: 2012 E84 Deep Sea Blue xDrive28i with HK, CA, PDC, Nav+Prem+Conv+Light Pkgs
DUH CAR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #47
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Good man. You won't ever regret having winter snow tires.
Heh heh looking forward to it. Been the snowiest winter here so far for many years. 3 feet in the last 2 weeks. BMW are fitting them and storing my summer set for free.
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #48
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

I confirm.
When I had 2 Winter tires fitted, a snowstorm was building. My 2WD SDrive was fishtailing all over the mechanic's parking lot.

I pulled away one hour later with my 2 Nokian, and it was day and night. Even on the steep hill to my place, I deliberately stopped the car, and it hauled back up again with hardly any wheel spin.

2WD + Winter tires + DTC gets you our of most situations in my opinion, especially in an urban environment.
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #49
DUH CAR
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: is everything!

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I confirm.
When I had 2 Winter tires fitted, a snowstorm was building. My 2WD SDrive was fishtailing all over the mechanic's parking lot.:
You should always have 4 winters. Two on the front for stopping and steering and two on the back for traction (and to a lesser extent stopping). IMHO.
__________________
His: 2007 E93 335i
Hers: 2012 E84 Deep Sea Blue xDrive28i with HK, CA, PDC, Nav+Prem+Conv+Light Pkgs
DUH CAR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #50
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
You should always have 4 winters. Two on the front for stopping and steering and two on the back for traction (and to a lesser extent stopping). IMHO.
You are absolutely right, however I had more trouble moving than stopping when driving on snow/ice !
As the tires are "lost" (the X1 is leased) and unless we take another X1 in January 12, the tires will be useless beyond that. So 2 rear Winter rubbers make for an acceptable compromise!
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #51
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
You are absolutely right, however I had more trouble moving than stopping when driving on snow/ice !
As the tires are "lost" (the X1 is leased) and unless we take another X1 in January 12, the tires will be useless beyond that. So 2 rear Winter rubbers make for an acceptable compromise!
You going to get the XDrive on your next lease?
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #52
alexmcred
Private
 
alexmcred's Avatar
 
Drives: 318d GT M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ireland

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I have given up on the tyre question on the X1. Mine is shod with Pirelli Cinturatos (225/50/17) and is only 2 mnths old. You say yours will have Michelins and another member says his has Dunlops. I don't understand Bmws chopping and changing.

In addition my dealer said my tyres were all season and they have the right symbol for it, yet Pirelli say they are Summer tyres??? Aaaaaargh.......I give up Sod it, I am getting my winter tyres fitted on Saturday
Very odd I have summer conti sport contact 2's 225 50 r17's H rated on my X1. Backs are very quick wearing
alexmcred is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #53
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
You going to get the XDrive on your next lease?
Hi Mario,

No, the tax bracket on 4WD company vehicles here triples the amount you have to pay for a 2WD. Not worth it.

Besides I really like RWD cars... I drove Caprices, CrownVics CVPI and Magnums SSP when I was in Ontario, and never got stuck anywhere.

With only 2 winter tires on a RWD, you just have to be careful when turning sharply on ice or snow, as the car will have a tendency to go straight and oversteer (as if you were driving a FWD) because of the enhanced traction on the rear wheels, which is the opposite of its natural behaviour otherwise (RWDs understeer and thus fishtail).

As BigDave said earlier, ideally you should get 4 Winter tires...


*** By the way, all-season tires should have the mention M+S, as in Mud & Snow"
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #54
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Hi Mario,

No, the tax bracket on 4WD company vehicles here triples the amount you have to pay for a 2WD. Not worth it.

Besides I really like RWD cars... I drove Caprices, CrownVics CVPI and Magnums SSP when I was in Ontario, and never got stuck anywhere.

With only 2 winter tires on a RWD, you just have to be careful when turning sharply on ice or snow, as the car will have a tendency to go straight and oversteer (as if you were driving a FWD) because of the enhanced traction on the rear wheels, which is the opposite of its natural behaviour otherwise (RWDs understeer and thus fishtail).

As BigDave said earlier, ideally you should get 4 Winter tires...


*** By the way, all-season tires should have the mention M+S, as in Mud & Snow"
I agree on the RWD, they are a lot more fun to drive. The X1 is the first 4x4 I have actually bought although I have a fair bit of experience driving 4x4s through past work. Its also my first diesel. Saying that the X! is rear wheel biased until you need it. I bought the X1 primarily as a small and safe family load lugger and added the XDrive as we go off the beaten track regularly in the highlands. Must say though that I am chuffed to bits about both (4x4 and diesel) as it just gives me that added confidence in mud/snow on farm tracks. I am really enjoying the car but at the end of the day when I want some fun I take out the wee Mini Cooper. It has a lot less power and is slower than the BMW but boy is it a blast. Everything feels fast
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #55
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Got my Winter Tyres

Had my winter tyres fitted this morning. The only ones that BMW do for the X1 in the UK at the moment are the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. Did a bit of reading about them and they seem OK. Interesting how they work, if you want have a look here Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Anyway, we are forcast heavy snow tonight so I shall have a go

For the record, they are non-RF on steel rims with plastic BMW wheel covers. The covers are not bolted to the rims as I think someone mentioned on here. It looks like they are but you can just pull them off, which I will do to fit chains. On a dry road they are slightly noisier than my Pirellis but the ride is slightly softer as can be expected.
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #56
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

You bought your Winter tires from BMW ?
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #57
matthewuk
New Member
 
Drives: X3 xDrive20d
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Had my winter tyres fitted this morning. The only ones that BMW do for the X1 in the UK at the moment are the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. Did a bit of reading about them and they seem OK. Interesting how they work, if you want have a look here Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Anyway, we are forcast heavy snow tonight so I shall have a go

For the record, they are non-RF on steel rims with plastic BMW wheel covers. The covers are not bolted to the rims as I think someone mentioned on here. It looks like they are but you can just pull them off, which I will do to fit chains. On a dry road they are slightly noisier than my Pirellis but the ride is slightly softer as can be expected.
My bad - I thought they were bolted on...sorry.

This review was enough to persuade me the tyres are a very decent option. Yes a bit more expensive getting them from BMW but they swap them twice a year (and valet your car each time!) and store your unused wheels.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...2/verdict.html

Did you get the goodie bag with the torch as well?
matthewuk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #58
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Matthew, could you elaborate on "a bit more expensive" please ?
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #59
matthewuk
New Member
 
Drives: X3 xDrive20d
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Matthew, could you elaborate on "a bit more expensive" please ?
BMW charge 840 but that includes steel wheels, trims and all the wheel swap service.

Currently cheapest on the internet (for the same size) I can find is 231 each. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...110&sowigan=Wi

So BMW are cheaper!

Proper price is probably more like 150 each. So a 240 premium gets the steel wheels, trim and all the BMW service elements. Each change takes '1 or 2' hours according to the service manager (I think they need to balance them and, of course, check them in and out of storage - it's certainly a little more involved than just swapping wheels) so I feel far from ripped off.
matthewuk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #60
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

I paid 260 for 2 Nokian WR32, so it would have come to 520 for 4. 25 for the swap... 550 roughly (without steel rims).

Well, you didn't do too bad indeed.
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #61
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
BMW charge 840 but that includes steel wheels, trims and all the wheel swap service.

Currently cheapest on the internet (for the same size) I can find is 231 each. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...110&sowigan=Wi

So BMW are cheaper!

Proper price is probably more like 150 each. So a 240 premium gets the steel wheels, trim and all the BMW service elements. Each change takes '1 or 2' hours according to the service manager (I think they need to balance them and, of course, check them in and out of storage - it's certainly a little more involved than just swapping wheels) so I feel far from ripped off.
Gatekeeper, As Matthew says above it works out to 210 per tyre but that includes rims/trim, 2 free changes/year and storage of the alternate set. Cheapest I could find the same tyres for are 169 per tyre. But then nobody has them in stock after the bad weather we have had. Another thing is that in the UK some insurance companies have problems/issues with after market rims/tyres. Having BMW fit them retains all the warranties/insurance etc. Hope that makes sense?

Matthew, not got the set yet as they are out of stock. Did manage to convince them to give it to me for free so its on order.
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #62
tompak23d
Private First Class
 
tompak23d's Avatar
 
Drives: 328iA xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sweden

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

Isnt it possible for you to buy winter tyres for the Scandinavian market. They are outstanding in every test. The winter tyres you guys use is "continental tyres". Those tyres are a long way from real winter tyres.
Here is some examples of Nordic winter tyres without pikes, have you heard about them???

Continental ContiVikingContact 5
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

What say you???
tompak23d is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #63
mario486
Mario
 
mario486's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland/Alba

Posts: 981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
Isnt it possible for you to buy winter tyres for the Scandinavian market. They are outstanding in every test. The winter tyres you guys use is "continental tyres". Those tyres are a long way from real winter tyres.
Here is some examples of Nordic winter tyres without pikes, have you heard about them???

Continental ContiVikingContact 5
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

What say you???
Hi Tompak, I have done quite a lot of research into winter tyres here in the UK and have not come across any of those that you mention. I think our winters are not severe enough. As far as I can tell the difference between your winter tyres and the "continental" ones are that yours are an even softer compound and designed for very low temps. I don't think your tyres would last very long here with our mix of dry then icy, cold then warm roads. I suppose ours are a balance between the two extremes.
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try!" - Master Yoda
"Always in motion is the future" - Master Yoda
"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is" - Master Yoda
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
mario486 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #64
matthewuk
New Member
 
Drives: X3 xDrive20d
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scotland

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
Isnt it possible for you to buy winter tyres for the Scandinavian market. They are outstanding in every test. The winter tyres you guys use is "continental tyres". Those tyres are a long way from real winter tyres.
Here is some examples of Nordic winter tyres without pikes, have you heard about them???

Continental ContiVikingContact 5
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

What say you???
To be honest, we probably don't need them and I'm not sure how good they would be on a usual winter day in the UK. Our winter is relatively mild and I think regular winter tyres designed to work very well at 7C and lower (common) and well enough in snow and ice (relatively rare) are a very good fit in the UK.

Our winters are probably like your summers on most days!!
matthewuk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #65
Gatekeeper
Captain
 
Gatekeeper's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320d Security
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: France

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

Mild Winters might be a thing of the past... It's the third consecutive Winter here where there is substantial snow falls and low temperatures (- 19c in DEC 09, and we hit a - 12c last Friday !). I mean,this is the kinda stuff I used to encounter in Eastern Ontario !
__________________
"Let our manners distinguish us from our enemies, as much as the cause we are engaged in"
Gatekeeper is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #66
DUH CAR
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: is everything!

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
I think regular winter tyres designed to work very well at 7C and lower (common) and well enough in snow and ice (relatively rare) are a very good fit in the UK.
You are correct sir! Regular winter tires have a softer rubber compound as normal rubber gets hard like a hockey puck at low temps = less grip. You can run the winters at higher than 7C, but they would wear a little faster than normal tires.

The trade-offs are the duration of low temps, cost of changing and how badly you need the extra traction and control. Here in Canada I run my snows from Nov to April, so it's worth it.

I had used the Nokian Hakkas a few yers ago on my Miata and it went like a tank through the snow! They are great tires.
__________________
His: 2007 E93 335i
Hers: 2012 E84 Deep Sea Blue xDrive28i with HK, CA, PDC, Nav+Prem+Conv+Light Pkgs
DUH CAR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST