BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

A decade of sales success : BMW X-series Vehicles and Future X4, X3 35iS, X3M

A decade of sales success : BMW X-series Vehicles.

When X5 was introduced in 1999 We went straight to the top of the segment.
By offering the more car-like Sport Activity Vehicle.
Customers appreciated that it's core BMW attributes were enhanced and kept intact by the introduction of the X5.

When we introduced X3 in 2003 We created a new segment for a premium medium class Sport Activity Vehicle. A car that sits below 700,000 units sold since introduction, and about to be replaced by the second generation X3.

In 2006 we introduced the second generation of X5 and inherited the E53 X5's crown at the top of the segment. In Late 2007 we introduced a new Concept to the Sport Activity field , an SAV with the appearance of a Coupe and the worlds first Sport Activity Coupe. The BMW X6.

Since the introduction of the X6, the original forcast of X6 sales was 40,000.
Today X6 sales have doubled that target thanks to it's blend of looks,performance and dynamism.
X6 sales continue with sheer growth in each quarter with other key markets proving more popular than existing target markets.

The success of the X6 led to the creation of the X6M mainly intended for developing premium markets both X5M and X6M have proved to be profitable for BMW's M Division.

The introduction of the X1 falls in line with BMW's current small,compact and D segment strategy. And is the first model to develop the 1er product portfolio further. The quest for an entry level Sport Activity Vehicle that enhanced the youthfulness of the 1 series in the solidity of a typical X vehicle, begun with another new segment for the premium market.
As X1 has brought customers from existing BMW products , X1 also has a higher amount of customers leaving other brands for the X1.
X1 has also reached it's target demographic and appealed to a younger customer base. Since it's November introduction to the market, BMW X1 has sold over 40,000 units , highly significant for a volume model ahead of a US introduction in the near future.

The second generation of X3 takes and progresses everything customers love about the E83. And reverse engineers everything they didn't .
New X3 brings a new fresher looking but taut exterior with an constantly improved and upgraded interior. Driving Dynamics improve to offer a more sporting drive and current technology signifies the X3 as a car of this era in fact then underpinnings are the first showing of the upcoming BMW 3er (F30).

And for the future?

BMW are keen to capitalize on the success of the X6 by offering a "downsized" version of the X6 Sport Activity Coupe Concept with an X4,
Designed in a similar concept to the X6 , BMW can make the X4 cost effectively by sharing underpinnings, interiors, engines, technology and manufacturing with the BMW X3.

With the BMW X3 about to be launched BMW will hold an establishment period of two years to determine if the second generation is a run-away success. And if so they are in the process of evaluating an X3 35iS using the same engine from the relevant Z435iS and US only 335iS. And an X3M using the powerplant from the upcoming 1M. No decision will be made until the car is deemed to have had a successful market integration and customer demand is evident.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

A good article and interesting news. It is inevitable that SUVs shall become smaller, many of them already do.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

BMW is going the way of mercedes IMO. They should make the 3, and 5 series smaller, and do away with all X models except the X5, which should also go on a diet. Im sure many disagree, but i preferred when the model line was simple. I had an original x5 that i since traded in for a Q5 because the X5 became too large, and the X3 (pre face lift) was just too ugly. Also, ///M division is not AMG. Every model does not need a high performance version. The x3M is just dumb if you ask me. If you want to make a performance version, use the "is" designation instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Thanks Scott for posting this.. The possibility of an X3M has me

I will need to part ways with the E83 for this beast
      08-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
oh man I would love to drive X4!!!!!!!!!! I already so love X6
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

No...no....please god no! NOOOOO!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

Seems like the goal is diluting the ///M "brand." I used to think ///M was something very special but not so much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

YAAAAAAAAY
Lets have more X cars than the regular line-up !!

lets see X1,X3,X4,X5,X6 (5 SAV's ??) and than we got, 1,3,5,6,7 this car's can actually be distinguished from each other and serve a purpose to DIFFERENT audience in each class, i can't see X1,X3,X4 being that different from each other that they would need to have another model created for it, like seriously, x3 and X1 are already almost the same size, where is X4 gonna fit in ? TOO Mannnnny X vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
BMW is going the way of mercedes IMO. They should make the 3, and 5 series smaller, and do away with all X models except the X5, which should also go on a diet. Im sure many disagree, but i preferred when the model line was simple. I had an original x5 that i since traded in for a Q5 because the X5 became too large, and the X3 (pre face lift) was just too ugly. Also, ///M division is not AMG. Every model does not need a high performance version. The x3M is just dumb if you ask me. If you want to make a performance version, use the "is" designation instead.
No manufacturer will ever make a car smaller than the previous generation. Customers are always asking for more space. The X5 and X3 got bigger, so we got the X1.

Look at the Ford Explorer over the years. It was small, then it got bigger, then it replaced the Expedition, then they built the Escape (about the same size as the original Explorer) to fill in the void.

Also, some of us don't need a vehicle as large as the X5 and 3 series wagons are very scarce and don't carry quite the same amount of cargo as a X3.

I personally would love to see a X3M. There are already X5M and X6M, so what would be the issue? If BMW can make money at it, you will be damn sure that they will build it. I would, it only makes business sense.

This is full to the front seats and very close to the roof.
      08-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I appreciate that you're so open with us on the forums, Scott. Other companies would get their PR panties in a bunch if they had this level of communication with their customers.

That all said, please pass on this message to the appropriate groups at BMW: "Is there nothing that you won't slap the ///M badge onto?"

Why are there two production M SUVs, and a third one on the way? Why are M cars heavier than their non-M equivalents? Why are free-spirited high-revving NA engines being phased out in favor of turbos? In this enthusiast's humble opinion, the company has lost sight of what it made it so great in the early days of its introduction to the US.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
aMetalhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

I don't mind the M badge on more products anymore. I fought the idea bigtime when the X5M and X6M were first announced, but now seeing all their rave reviews I'd love to see an X3M.

Might as well embrace the fact that the M badge is no longer exclusive to the 3 and 5 series. Soon we'll also have a 1-series with the M badge. As long as these cars represent the M badge well, I don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

If you read the original post you can see clearly "Evaluating" and no decision has been made.

BMW evaluate every idea and decision put forward from the marketing department, a concept on paper can only go one way but a full working concept can deliver a more realistic reaction.
There are lots of projects and ideas that have started on paper leading to working prototypes for a proper evaluation. And we have built prototypes of such models you can only dream of and that includes ideas discussed for the M Division, who have their own "Skunkworks" and that is how they came up with the M5 CSL and the car that everybody is excited about the BMW 1M Coupe, a car that not only began in the heart but took a working prototype to convince the BMW Board to green-light this car.

As of X3M and X3 35iS they will not make a decision until the X3 has had a successful establishment period. The E87 1er also had an establishment period of two years allowing to determine if the car is successful and allow a full product rollout which is what happened with a 3dr Sporthatch , Coupe and Cabrio. A Touring was also developed for the 1er as was a Sedan but these were removed to prevent clashing with the lower entry 3er sedan and Touring in Europe, especially in high priority European fleet markets.

The X4 however is ready to go. And it looks very sporty , a bit sleeker than the X6 and adds a trunk similar to the GT allowing it's concept idea as a Sport Activity Sedan. It takes some design cues from the new X3 but reverses them , for example that character line on the X3 is reversed on the
X4 by having the line shoot upwards to the A-Pillar instead of downwards to the wheel arch.

As for X3 35iS and X3M , two bodyshells will be shipped from Spartanburg to Munich where they will build evaluation models of the proposed strategy.
Both might arrive or just one , As of now it is too early to determine because we have to see how the market takes to the new F25 X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
sco77harris
Rep
Drives: honda civic

personally im not a fan of m versions of the x5 x3, maybe an m version of the x6 and if there is an x4 are more acceptable as they are inherently more sporting cars.

I think BMW should explore an x2 as well and really corner the suv market, as a 20 year old i like the x1 but it doesnt quite do it for me, i can imagine an x2 being very appealing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I appreciate that you're so open with us on the forums, Scott. Other companies would get their PR panties in a bunch if they had this level of communication with their customers.

That all said, please pass on this message to the appropriate groups at BMW: "Is there nothing that you won't slap the ///M badge onto?"

Why are there two production M SUVs, and a third one on the way? Why are M cars heavier than their non-M equivalents? Why are free-spirited high-revving NA engines being phased out in favor of turbos? In this enthusiast's humble opinion, the company has lost sight of what it made it so great in the early days of its introduction to the US.
I appreciate that you continue to inform us even after all the verbal assault you get from people on this forum
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Nerd View Post
YAAAAAAAAY
Lets have more X cars than the regular line-up !!

lets see X1,X3,X4,X5,X6 (5 SAV's ??) and than we got, 1,3,5,6,7 this car's can actually be distinguished from each other and serve a purpose to DIFFERENT audience in each class, i can't see X1,X3,X4 being that different from each other that they would need to have another model created for it, like seriously, x3 and X1 are already almost the same size, where is X4 gonna fit in ? TOO Mannnnny X vehicles.
Not really there are 4 different versions of the 1 & 3 series, 2 different versions of the 5 series, 2 versions of the 6, the X5 and X6 are different versions of the same car as the X4 will be to the X3. So if you say there are 5 different SAV's then there are 13 different cars in the regular car line up, 14 if you count the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #17
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I appreciate that you continue to inform us even after all the verbal assault you get from people on this forum
Scott is the man.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

SCOTT26, can you confirm how many seats the X4 will have? I'm planning to order an X3 in the future but an X4 sounds interesting. Also, will it be as practical as the X3? Until I saw the X6 up close, I didn't realise how impractical it was in comparison to the X5 with the low rear roofline. It is more of a touring SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

X4

Get the X4 to market as fast as possible. I'll put in a pre-order the day its announced. I love the X6 but its a shade to big and slightly above my budget, but I want a sporty all wheel drive vehicle to haul a light amount of equipment for backpacking trips in the snow.

X4 -- Can't wait!

Oh -- will it have the split rear wheel differential that the X6 has? I want it for snow performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

thanks for sharing SCOTT26, i appreciate it.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I have read some articles few months ago about the x4 and I loved the idea of BMW making one. I like the new x3 minus the front lights (I believe they made lights a bit uglier on purpose so that x5 buyers do not stray away from the x5, which happened in the audi q5 vs q7 battle) and I would really really like to know whether they will make lights more slick for the x4.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #22
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

X3's cargo space is actually larger than X5. BMW has managed to build a fat one without providing additional space. I wonder how the new X3 will compare.