XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Window Tint

What are your thoughts on using window film?
My main concern would be to block out excess heat, not to make it "pitch black".
I know high quality brands/films offer 10 year or "lifetime" warranties, and I've seen installers doing it in Ferraris and other high-end cars; but my main concern is: if they ever need to peel it off, will it come out ok without leaving a mark?
(Heard lots of reports about defrosting lines being ripped apart when removing the film; wouldn't like that to happen!)

Better yet, I definitely loved the idea of using a window film that gets darker in the day, and lighter at night: photochromic window film - like this guy put in his M3.

Sadly I can't find any more info on this type of film, nor I suspect I would be able to find any installer for it here in Portugal.

So, what are your thoughts/experiences regarding window tinting? Recommend it? Pros and cons? Problems? Forget about it?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

I'll have the window tints tomorrow or the other day for around 200 Euros. I want to protect the black seats from sun and it will also block the heat as you said. 3M material will be used and the place is the best in town. I'll upload some photos for you as soon as it is done.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
I'll have the window tints tomorrow or the other day for around 200 Euros. I want to protect the black seats from sun and it will also block the heat as you said. 3M material will be used and the place is the best in town. I'll upload some photos for you as soon as it is done.
Cool! If you can please post some close-up photos of the window edges, as well as how it looks in the rear window on the defrosting lines and the dot pattern on the edges.

(Though, from what I read, it might take a couple of weeks until it actually "sets in".)

Have you asked if there is any chance of problem if you ever decide to remove the film?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Cool! If you can please post some close-up photos of the window edges, as well as how it looks in the rear window on the defrosting lines and the dot pattern on the edges.

(Though, from what I read, it might take a couple of weeks until it actually "sets in".)

Have you asked if there is any chance of problem if you ever decide to remove the film?
Hi nick I got the windows tinted today. I got the pictures with my mobile phone while it was being done but unfortunately I've lost the data cable of the phone. Promise you'll have the HD quality pictures tomorrow. I can say that If you find the No2 3M film there in Portugal, don't hesitate. Color is not so dark, inside is still visible, just like the original factory darkened windows.

Just wait for the photos
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

I'll be waiting for it!

I have found a reputable 3M installer nearby, unfortunately their website has been hijacked (doesn't sound very "reputable" I know) and I'll have to go there in person to see how they are.
From what I've read in some forums, they're the ones installing the film in high-end cars for "high-profile" football players, etc... So i guess they must do a good job.

... Can't wait to see your pics and see how it looks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

By the way, I also asked about the peeling issue. 3M is harder to peel when compared with the other korean brands. But in any way the adhesive left on the window can easily be cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
I'll be waiting for it!

I have found a reputable 3M installer nearby, unfortunately their website has been hijacked (doesn't sound very "reputable" I know) and I'll have to go there in person to see how they are.
From what I've read in some forums, they're the ones installing the film in high-end cars for "high-profile" football players, etc... So i guess they must do a good job.

... Can't wait to see your pics and see how it looks!
I'm so sorry to say that but it rained all day here And the car is covered with mud.

I still can't find the data cable of my blackberry, I'm mailing the photos right now, I'll upload them in an hour or so. Photos are not so good but at least you'll have an idea how it looks like
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Thanks. Will have a look when I get back home later tonight.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Here is my baby bimmer and her new face after the surgery. Hope you'll enjoy. HQ pictures coming soon












Last edited by mozdal; 04-20-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Wow. Indeed looks great! That's exactly the "tone" I'd like to have.

Some more questions if you don't mind:
1)Did you also tint the front windshield - or just all the other windows?
2)Do you have to wait a few days till you can use the windows?
(and how long till it's completely "fixed"?)
3)Did you notice any difference when driving at night?

Really nice work, I'll be waiting for the high quality pics.
I sure would like to see some closeups of the rear window, and how it looks on the defroster lines and the dot pattern edge.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Wow. Indeed looks great! That's exactly the "tone" I'd like to have.

Some more questions if you don't mind:
1)Did you also tint the front windshield - or just all the other windows?
2)Do you have to wait a few days till you can use the windows?
(and how long till it's completely "fixed"?)
3)Did you notice any difference when driving at night?

Really nice work, I'll be waiting for the high quality pics.
I sure would like to see some closeups of the rear window, and how it looks on the defroster lines and the dot pattern edge.
Thanks Glad you liked it. I didn't tint the windshield. I always like clear view while driving so all the windows except the windshield. There is a 2 day period for films to fully stick to windows so it is recommended not to use the windows for 2 days. I don't know when it will stick completely but according to them it will take some time. At night it is almost the same view from the mirrors. Auto-dimming still works perfectly. I guess it is because of the quality of 3M. If you really plan to tint the windows I recommend that you stick with the 3M.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Just for reference, can you tell how much you paid for the complete job?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

I paid 350 Turkish Liras, that roughly equals 175 Euros. That was the most expensive tint application in town
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

You're indeed lucky!
In here I have prices for nearly 400€(!) for the high-end ceramic LLumar film (12years warranty.)
I'm still waiting to get a quote for the 3M film... But I expect it to be about the same prices...

... And not to mention we have to pay extra 200€ for vehicle inspection and updated vehicle registration papers if we want to tint the driver and front passenger windows!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
mozdal
Private First Class
mozdal's Avatar
Turkey
8
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
You're indeed lucky!
In here I have prices for nearly 400€(!) for the high-end ceramic LLumar film (12years warranty.)
I'm still waiting to get a quote for the 3M film... But I expect it to be about the same prices...

... And not to mention we have to pay extra 200€ for vehicle inspection and updated vehicle registration papers if we want to tint the driver and front passenger windows!
Wow! That is too much for a window tint And how much was the 3M? Inspection is a bit expensive too but it at least makes it legal. Here in Turkey, if you don't have an excuse like a health report it is forbidden to tint the front windows. 100 Euros ticket and a scratch on the tint from the officer is the prize, 3 tickets and your car is banned from traffic But they rarely fine for window tint unless it is super dark or the officer is in his bad day
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #16
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
5
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: X1 23d
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Yes, it's really expensive.

As for the 3M, the shop that installed it has closed, and the new shop that opened in there now works with LLumar as well...
From what I've researched, LLumar is very good as well, the drawback being that for the same "tint-level", the 3M can block more IR.
On the other hand, the shop prides in doing very high-quality installs (they specialize in custom multimedia installs - redoing dashboards and such, even for Ferraris and everything looks like factory built.

But with those prices, I guess I'll only make up my mind when I actually get my X1...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST