Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
ALF64
Rep
Drives: X1 sDRIVE AUTO

Exclamation X1: Noise And Wind

Hello

A few days ago I read this forum and I have a X1 recently, I was very surprised how many people who complain about the same as I have complained to BMW, the car is very noisy in my view.

1 .- Long ago the engine noise at low speeds
2 .- For the 75-80 miles is also very loud noise in the latter case air, that is streamlined, the end is, a problem of sound insulation.

The engine noise problem is due in large part it is NOT BLANKET INSULATION MOTOR NOISE. INCREDIBLE. Neither the X1 or the Series-1 have the blanket Motor, the problem is that X1 is heavier and makes the engine makes more noise than the Series-1.

And no one told me when I bought the car that had no insulation blanket ENGINE NOISE, is something I understand a mark at this level and price should be taken into account.

I have consulted on the possibility of BMW's MANTA ENGINE NOISE INSULATION or adapt a blanket of X3 and not advise me to do yourself.

I recommend that you do get my e-mail complaint to the Customer of BMW because if you asked many people believe will end the MANTA ENGINE NOISE ISOLATION as in the other BMW models. It's been other times in the past.

Who does not complain I guess that does not bring anything.

Another problem is noise they make car mirrors to 75 miles / h, long aerodynamic noise, it seems that is because they have saved money on the rubber on the doors, on the other X series models are rubbers of double doors and X1 are simple, isolated half the noise.

The tires are the single door that uses the Series 1 and of course the X1 is far greater and greater volume more noise which makes friction with the air, should have the same rubber insulation that the series X, so when you go to 120km / h looks like it will lift a great wind, a lot of noise as if the window was not closed. Surely you feel the same, send it to Customer Service and you can double Gum at the Gates.

Greetings
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF64 View Post

Hello

A few days ago I read this forum and I have a X1 recently, I was very surprised how many people who complain about the same as I have complained to BMW, the car is very noisy in my view.

1 .- Long ago the engine noise at low speeds
2 .- For the 75-80 miles is also very loud noise in the latter case air, that is streamlined, the end is, a problem of sound insulation.

The engine noise problem is due in large part it is NOT BLANKET INSULATION MOTOR NOISE. INCREDIBLE. Neither the X1 or the Series-1 have the blanket Motor, the problem is that X1 is heavier and makes the engine makes more noise than the Series-1.

And no one told me when I bought the car that had no insulation blanket ENGINE NOISE, is something I understand a mark at this level and price should be taken into account.

I have consulted on the possibility of BMW's MANTA ENGINE NOISE INSULATION or adapt a blanket of X3 and not advise me to do yourself.

I recommend that you do get my e-mail complaint to the Customer of BMW because if you asked many people believe will end the MANTA ENGINE NOISE ISOLATION as in the other BMW models. It's been other times in the past.

Who does not complain I guess that does not bring anything.

Another problem is noise they make car mirrors to 75 miles / h, long aerodynamic noise, it seems that is because they have saved money on the rubber on the doors, on the other X series models are rubbers of double doors and X1 are simple, isolated half the noise.

The tires are the single door that uses the Series 1 and of course the X1 is far greater and greater volume more noise which makes friction with the air, should have the same rubber insulation that the series X, so when you go to 120km / h looks like it will lift a great wind, a lot of noise as if the window was not closed. Surely you feel the same, send it to Customer Service and you can double Gum at the Gates.

Greetings
Get another car.
      04-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

The car sound is really good IMO. I like the gruntness of it. I'm not sure if yours sounds different. Wind noise is there yeah but it's ignorable. That's why we got nice big mirrors! But yeah the only certain fix is to get another car heh.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
bradschaching
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 sDrive18i

can't understand

I could hardly understand what ALF was saying. His English was terrible! If I could understand half of what he was compaining about, I might be able to join in the discussion!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Costin
Rep
Drives: x1

X1 mirror noise

I have tested the X3 wondering if the double rubber on the doors/frame reduces the noise....Nop same noise starting at 120 km/hr. Engine noise insulation is better than X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradschaching View Post
I could hardly understand what ALF was saying. His English was terrible! If I could understand half of what he was compaining about, I might be able to join in the discussion!
Guy's probably a Brit from London... Whaddaya expect !!
      05-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kres7787 View Post
The car sound is really good IMO. I like the gruntness of it. I'm not sure if yours sounds different. Wind noise is there yeah but it's ignorable. That's why we got nice big mirrors! But yeah the only certain fix is to get another car heh.
Yeah the mirrors are quite large, bat ears my wife calls them. I like them, means I can see whats going on around me for a change.

Wind noise, not much different from my previous VW Golf.

Engine noise, again I quite like thegruffness and the growl. Much nicer than the whine from a small petrol.

If you want refinement go for the new 5-series. Its bloody good but a. Its expensive b. Its too big for our narrow streets and c. No 4x4.

Remember to compare apples with apples folks.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I just spent the day with an X1. Mix of city, highway and secondary roads. If anything I was impressed by how quiet the car is. Yes, there is engine noise - but I like that - if not I am sure that there is a Buick in your future. The 2.8 is a a bit loud at idle - if the windows are rolled down. After that is is smooth and there is very little road noise. The ride was very good. My only remark is that some of the interior materials are of a lower quality than in an X5 for example. But after all it is a much less expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I just spent the day with an X1. Mix of city, highway and secondary roads. If anything I was impressed by how quiet the car is. Yes, there is engine noise - but I like that - if not I am sure that there is a Buick in your future. The 2.8 is a a bit loud at idle - if the windows are rolled down. After that is is smooth and there is very little road noise. The ride was very good. My only remark is that some of the interior materials are of a lower quality than in an X5 for example. But after all it is a much less expensive car.
Hi Slalom, interesting comment, was that the new T4 2.8 you drove?
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Slalom, interesting comment, was that the new T4 2.8 you drove?
I believe so, as we in Canada have only 1 engine choice (turbo 4)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I totally agree with him, indeed above 120-130km/hr you start hearing a lot of wind noise... so I just turn up the radio , and I love hearing the roaring sound of the 2.8i as it accelerates and revs up, it is amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

I would love to compare the 2.3d with the 2.8i T4 back to back. I have always been a petrol fan but unfortunately there is no petrol model available in the UK and BMW UK say they are not introducing one.

Saying that the diesels are also amazing, good performance and class-leading economy, but I cannot say they are the smoothest. I think some of the criticism levelled against the X1 in terms of noise and vibration are justified and down to these diesels.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
ALF64
Rep
Drives: X1 sDRIVE AUTO

I totally agree with all, above 120-130km/hr you hear a lot of wind noise... bmw fake
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Alf64 - see you've done the 2nd post here I find the road/tyre noise a bit intrusive at higher speeds. Wind and engine noise is just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Alf64 - see you've done the 2nd post here I find the road/tyre noise a bit intrusive at higher speeds. Wind and engine noise is just fine.
Road noise is very tyre dependent. My winter non-RF Dunlops are a lot noisier at speed than my summer RF Pirellis. Must be down to compound and tread differences.

Of course road surface also has a influence.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Hi Mario, yes it depends on the road surfaces - it's on the old ones that noise becomes apparent, on better ones it's not a problem. I would have the same summer RF Pirelli P7 Cinturatos as you.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Road noise is very tyre dependent. My winter non-RF Dunlops are a lot noisier at speed than my summer RF Pirellis. Must be down to compound and tread differences.
Do you have the Dunlop Wintersport 3D or Wintersport M3? I wanted to buy the 3D for next season. But if they are noisy I might change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
Do you have the Dunlop Wintersport 3D or Wintersport M3? I wanted to buy the 3D for next season. But if they are noisy I might change my mind.
I have the 3D ones. I said they were noisier than the summers but really don't find it too bad. It may have something to do with the fact that the tread is chunkier, if that makes sense. One thing I can say is that they are bloody amazing. One of the best surprises I have had in a long time. I would not go through a winter without them ever again.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
I have the 3D ones. I said they were noisier than the summers but really don't find it too bad. It may have something to do with the fact that the tread is chunkier, if that makes sense. One thing I can say is that they are bloody amazing. One of the best surprises I have had in a long time. I would not go through a winter without them ever again.
That sounds good. I think I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0