Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Towbar for X1 - Sydney, Australia

Hi All,

I have just bought an X1 (xDrive20d with a reversing camera) and I am looking at having a tow bar fitted. The price quoted from the dealer was AUD $3500 (which is actually more than what I paid for my trailer a few years back!). Has anyone in the Sydney / Wollongong area had a tow bar fitted either through a dealership or from an aftermarket supplier? If so how did it go, what did it cost and would you recommend them?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Nedlands
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 CF Comp, 2010 23 X1

I'm in Perth and got an aftermarket unit for less than $1000. Hayman Reece. I'm sure you will find someone around Sydney to do the same. No issues, it works very well. I have no camera but can't think why this would make a difference. The reverse sensors go off while reversing but you can stop that with a switch.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Remlaw Silo
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

The issue with the reversing camera (I think) is that it is suppose to zoom to make it easier dock the tow ball with the trailer coupling. I am not sure if an aftermarket tow bar setup would do this. Also the high cost of the BMW installed towbar is due supposedly to the time spent reprogramming the car's computer. I think that I read somewhere that if the trailer starts to fish tail the car computer will recognise this and start to take corrective actions (I need to find out more about this).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
I'm in Perth and have had an aftermarket bar fitted (same as Nedlands - a Hayman Reece). I have the reversing camera too and I'm told that I need to take the car to bmw so they can "turn on" the trailer view function in the software. At the moment though, I've not bothered as i can see the tow ball *just* in the normal view when i'm parking, reversing, etc. I'll get over to bmw eventually and see if they can't activate the proper view.