XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
sage75
Rep
Drives: F10 Deep Sea Blue

X1 - Retrofit Xenon Part Numbers?

Hi, please advise whether my X1's standard halogen lights can be replaced and fitted retrofit basis with the BMW Xenon front and LED rear lights.

I need to know the part numbers of the retro fit BMW Xenon Front Lights and LED Rear brake lights so that I can inform my local country BMW dealer.

Anyone who has doen this as a retrofit, please reply.

(I do not want to go the aftermarket methods but want to stick with the Genuine BMW Xenon)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
jaxxsson
A man's reflection
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

As I heared from my dealer he said it was still not in retrofit kit. please let me know if it works with you. it also is not possible to install the led rear lights just by swapping. there are more mods needed
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Abdulll
Rep

xenon conversions and led rear tails lights are a NO NO on our cars SAGE ... far too complicated than thought - CODING, HEAD LAMP LEVELING DEVICE, WIRING HARNESS. and all sorts of Hoo Doo's ... i can give you the parts numbers if your still interested....... lets stick to the candle lights provided by BMW .. at least they are original BMW candles.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Abdulll
Rep

just one more thing - if you really need xenons, you can buy a aftermarket xenon kit -( BULBS AND BALLAST KIT) - with CAN BUS canceller - do some mods fit it and "wallah' it works really well - but BMW warranty goes thru the backdoor....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
poscher
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX Sti 9 Spec C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
just one more thing - if you really need xenons, you can buy a aftermarket xenon kit -( BULBS AND BALLAST KIT) - with CAN BUS canceller - do some mods fit it and "wallah' it works really well - but BMW warranty goes thru the backdoor....
hey Abdul, I did a stupid thing by getting a set of original xenons, I want to get them fixed but haven't had the time to take it to the agent and figure out a way...

Honestly the X1 we get is a disgrace to BMW, its as basic as things could get.

Any things that you retrofitted into your X1?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
ecoveon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3 - G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscher View Post
hey Abdul, I did a stupid thing by getting a set of original xenons, I want to get them fixed but haven't had the time to take it to the agent and figure out a way...

Honestly the X1 we get is a disgrace to BMW, its as basic as things could get.

Any things that you retrofitted into your X1?
OK, I just completed the Xenon fit for my X1. Well its really easy if you bought the Valeo OEM Xenon lights as a full set.

This is what worked for me, it was relatively easy.

First make sure you bought the RHD version, if its a LHD then you will be dazzling on coming traffic and your lights will not give you the required right side visibility.

So assuming you got the RHD then these are the steps.

1. Unfortunately you also need to buy a new FRM3 control unit even though your vehicle has FRM3, about 300 euros.

2. 10 meters of wire, 6mm will do. You also need the end connectors for the sockets.

Remove the 4 trox screws from your halogen head lights and fix the xenons.

You need to add two wires to the head light socket. GND wire in Pin 2 and the D1S supply wire in Pin 5. Do not connect the GND to the earth bolt in the car, instead splice your other GND wire (Pin 4) and connect it to that.

Connect the L & R wires from Pin 5 to Pin 41 in the FRM3 control unit socket.

Now take the car into your dealership, replace the FRM3 and code it, just make sure to add $522 in the VO.

You should have a perfectly working Xenon without any error or PWM issues (flickering).

OK, this will not add the auto leveling, DRL's or head lamp washers. Like in the Halogen you need to use the manual headlamp adjustment.

Thats it.

I also added the LED tail lamps, same process, add a supply wire to Pin 4 and connect it to the Pin 16/18 in the FRM3. Then get the dealer to code it. You could get the Blackline version as it will look visually different and more sporty.

The caveat - The above process may or may not work. Some dealers will also tell you that it will invalidate the warranty, so please check the issues before you do any work.

BMW is expected to release an official retrofit kit by January 2012.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ecoveon; 09-06-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
still-hide
Registered
Rep

Hello, i will be also upgrade my X1 (production 03.2011 with Halogen light) to the LED Tail light (Xenon is not so important). I read this very interessting thread but i have some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoveon
1. Unfortunately you also need to buy a new FRM3 control unit even though your vehicle has FRM3, about 300 euros.
I wonder about that you need a new FRM3, why you need this? Which part number has your old FRM3? From which production year is your X1? I have the FRM3 with following part number: 61359249086. This module may be is the "FRM3 max" and is compatible with Xenon and LED Taillight. Do you have a another FRM original?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoveon
I also added the LED tail lamps, same process, add a supply wire to Pin 4 and connect it to the Pin 16/18 in the FRM3.
Also, i wondering about your wire to the Pin's. Why Pin 4 and where at your car? In the lights at the tailgate or at the side of the car?

I now at my car are the wires at Pin 4 for the LED-Lights at the tailgate and on Pin 5 on the side (Pin 4 is there for Back Drive Light).

Greetings, Heiko

Last edited by still-hide; 12-27-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Sorry for digging up old thread but this could be a life saver for me as I MUST have HIDs in my X1

Ecoveon - are you able to explain a bit more..

* Do you have a link to where you get the Valeo OEM Xenon lights ?
* Do the Valeo OEM Xenon lights have the auto leveling?
* Can we use something like this which has no autolevelling / dynamic features but comes with the bulbs and ballasts
http://www.magdatom-car.eu/magdatom-...Bmw-X1-E84/573

* Why cant we use the existing FRM3 and just code that ?
* What is meant by " just make sure to add $522 in the VO"

* Did you need a new wiring harness or did you just figure out the pins/wiring with what you have?

Oh I called BMW parts they said the Retrofit kit is not available for my VIN?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Official retrofit is not available, so I bought my xenon headlights from ebay and everything else from my dealer. Now they are retrofitting my xenons as a special case and I will receive my car tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I can
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Ps: yo do need wires, leveling modules, and everything in order tomget it work "officially"
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
Official retrofit is not available, so I bought my xenon headlights from ebay and everything else from my dealer. Now they are retrofitting my xenons as a special case and I will receive my car tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I can
Wow nice work!
here in Australia they wont touch it if its not factory..

Can you tell me where you got the parts and how much they were?
Appreciate 0