01-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Xpander
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N51,LCI,M-Sport,6MT

Roof Box on X1

Dear fellow X1 owners,

Anyone use a roof box to transport skis? Which one did you get? What's your experience with it?

I'm looking to buy a roof/cargo box that I can use to transport skis up 190 cm in length but also use it to transport cargo in warmer weather.

According to bmwusa the BMW roof box 460 (that's 91" long) fits but after reading Thule's website I'm worried that it's too long. Especially since I read somewhere that BMW oem roof boxes are just rebadged Thules.

According to Thule, the biggest one that fits the X1 is their sonic large 634 (that's only 73" long) and fits skis that are only 158cm long.

With the hatch opened, I measured how far forward a 90"+ box would stick out without interfering with it and it pretty much goes all the way to half the length of the hood. Seems dicey to install something that long. What do you guys think?

Yakima seems to think some of their longer ones fit but I'm all worried that there will be issues.

Any feedback suggestions are welcomed!
      01-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
look here and here
      01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
JY888
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 ML550 & 2013 X1 i35 xLine

I have the Roof box from the Powder Ride Edition, I also have the K2 Skis (still in the box). See the link:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erEdition.aspx

I'm looking to sell them, I bought that edition because it had all the options I wanted and it was the only xline they had in stock.

PM me if you are interested, the only concern would be shipping I'm in Minnesota
Appreciate 0