XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

04-14-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
JPriami
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28i

Noises that seem odd.

2014 x1 28i e84 sport

Bought this vehicle used with 102k miles a week ago. Haven't driven it a whole lot. But enough I'm noticing weird noises.
The engine noises I'm hearing are likey normal from some videos I've seen.

But here is the noise that's a bit concerning. When you take off from a stop. With the windows down to hear better. I'm noticing a noise that starts to build up then goes back down when the transmission shifts. Trans seems to shift about the 2k mark. It sounds like it's coming from the mid range of the vehicle. So I was curious if it's either an exhaust leak or if there are any vacuum lines going to the transmission that could make noise.

If I'm stopped in park & vary the RPMs I don't really hear the noise. So thats why I'm more thinking it's a transmission related thing vs the exhaust leak.

Just a little complaint I'd like say..BMW what were you thinking with no dip sticks for the engine oil or the transmission oil? Yes we have sensors (at least for the motor). But if you buy a used vehicle. You have no way of knowing the shape things are in oil wise. Sometimes just a simple visual inspection of the oil with your human senses is best. You can instantly see the level, the colors & odors with a simple dip stick check of things.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:40 AM   #2
jawry2
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 drive 28i

Maybe start with changing the transmission fluid. Is it possible the fluid has never been changed?
Appreciate 0