XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I still think the average luxo car has wheels that are too big. 225/45 is not a lot of sidewall, I used to run that on my Saab and switched to 225/50. LIKE NIGHT AND DAY.

Our X1 has the base 17's under it, 225/50, i prefer it that way. Still, need new rubber so found Goodyear Eagle Sport tyres for $160 a pop, cheap for CDN prices. Gonna throw them on and see how she goes, keeping the run flats for the lease return as they are down to 5 or 6/32nds in some parts of the tyre.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #24
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Continental ExtremeContact DW

I replaced the Continental ContiSport Contact runflats on my F30 328i with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW in the same size: 225/45ZR-18. The improvement in ride quality was dramatic. Road noise dropped off significantly, especially when hitting expansion joints or potholes. That high frequency "thwack!" the runflats made is completely gone.

With proper selection of a replacement "traditional" tire, you can have your cake and eat it too, with no loss of steering response or grip. I have a second set of wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak (also NOT runflat) for the winter, so I'm always optimized for the conditions. Couldn't be happier.

I'll be purchasing a 2015 X1 xDrive28i for my wife tonight and, as soon as we take delivery, I'll be ordering another set of these tires for the new car. This is a no-brainer.

I also have one of these in each of my cars:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+compressor.do

04-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #25
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Personally I stick with RFT because I have tire warranty and the roads here are HORRIBLE. Potholes going into Boston are atrocious, in addition I've gotten a few flats. I'm happy to have tire warranty and rft. Ill sacrifice comfort for saving 1000 a year without a second though or a look back.

With that said I will be moving to Arizona within the next year or so, where the roads are nice and smooth so I have been looking at Non RFT tires to replace my winter set. I like Conti's and Michelin for tires. I had both in the past with good experiences, on my e90, and would recommend them to you as well. The way I look at it go for DW's if you want a decent tire at a reasonable price. They are track proven and a cost efficient choice. If you want to go for high end take a set of Pilot Sports and you will be rewarded with excellent grip and a long lasting tire. Also a note on the conti's they tend to get noisy when worn.
      04-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #26
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Inland Pacific NW roads are pretty smooth, with the exception of N. Idaho, but it seems like the worse the roads are, the more you benefit from non-runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #27
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
I replaced the Continental ContiSport Contact runflats on my F30 328i with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW in the same size: 225/45ZR-18. The improvement in ride quality was dramatic. Road noise dropped off significantly, especially when hitting expansion joints or potholes. That high frequency "thwack!" the runflats made is completely gone.

With proper selection of a replacement "traditional" tire, you can have your cake and eat it too, with no loss of steering response or grip. I have a second set of wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak (also NOT runflat) for the winter, so I'm always optimized for the conditions. Couldn't be happier.

I'll be purchasing a 2015 X1 xDrive28i for my wife tonight and, as soon as we take delivery, I'll be ordering another set of these tires for the new car. This is a no-brainer.

I also have one of these in each of my cars:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+compressor.do

As I said in my initial post in this thread my opinion is not popular. Maybe you guys don't drive aggressively or have different benchmark. For me personally the handling and steering was not acceptable with non RFT tires. I had UHP all seasons though, a summer tire is an improvement, but the change was so dramatic that I can't believe it can by fully compensated by a summer tire.

For those who have switched to non RFT, does the car roll in turns or not? Does it dive under braking or not? If it does it means you have lost what makes a BMW a BMW. If it does it means you are happier with a non sport car than a sport car. There is nothing wrong with that but you should be honest in your assessment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
As I said in my initial post in this thread my opinion is not popular. Maybe you guys don't drive aggressively or have different benchmark. For me personally the handling and steering was not acceptable with non RFT tires. I had UHP all seasons though, a summer tire is an improvement, but the change was so dramatic that I can't believe it can by fully compensated by a summer tire.
The difference in performance between even the most high performance all season tire and a mediocre summer only tire is dramatic. If you've never driven on a Pilot Sport 2 or a Continental ExtremeContact DW, then you have no idea what you're missing. (Well, you do now!)
      04-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #29
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
The difference in performance between even the most high performance all season tire and a mediocre summer only tire is dramatic. If you've never driven on a Pilot Sport 2 or a Continental ExtremeContact DW, then you have no idea what you're missing. (Well, you do now!)
I had Potenza RE50 which is a more aggressive tire than DW, so I have driven a summer tire.

The difference in performance between RFT and non RFT is well beyond the difference between summer and all season.

Also my all seasons (Kumho 4x) were rated high for steering response and dry traction, so they were as close to a summer tire as you can get in an all season tire.

Either way I am happy with suspension set up and driving comfort of my X1 with 18 inch wheels. If I wanted a softer suspension I would get 17 inch wheels. I don't want it any softer than this and that is the reason for buying a BMW over a toyota or mercedes or any other car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #30
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The difference in performance between RFT and non RFT is well beyond the difference between summer and all season
A reasonable experiment would be switching from run flat to non-run flat of the same brand and model tire. That's at least attempting to hold everything, other than sidewall stiffness, constant.

My C6 Corvette Z51 is currently on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 run flats. I'll be changing them out this summer and will go to the PS2 non-run flat. Will try to remember to follow up here with observations.

Don't know what tires the new X1 is coming with, but I'll be switching them soon. I'll probably go with Michelin PS2 or Super Sport, inspired by PleaseAdvise's reminder of how good they are. I had the PS2 on my 2001 540i 6-Speed and loved them.
      04-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

For those who have switched to non RFT, does the car roll in turns or not? Does it dive under braking or not? If it does it means you have lost what makes a BMW a BMW. If it does it means you are happier with a non sport car than a sport car. There is nothing wrong with that but you should be honest in your assessment.
You've lost what makes a BMW a BMW by buying a small SUV, i know it's only 4 inches but that makes a a heck of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #32
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You've lost what makes a BMW a BMW by buying a small SUV, i know it's only 4 inches but that makes a a heck of a difference.
Well, I was expecting to be criticized for this, but nobody actually answered my questions about body roll and diving. I am still interested to hear about your experience with precisely body roll and diving and steering response (e.g. dead spot near the center).

BTW X1 is not 4 inches higher, it is about 1 inch higher than an E91. The other 3 inch is the taller roof.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #33
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Body roll hasn't changed perceptibly, but mine is stock height +.3" I think your idea of stiff sidewalls on a RFT making a car "more like a BMW" is a pretty ignorant thing to say. I'll go back to the stockers in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #34
OmegaMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M6 V10 Manual

Tire vs. Car And Their Symphony of Interaction

Quote:
M Sport suspension that is stiffer than the standard
I think that is the crux of what you are experiencing and not the tire as much. IMHO

As you know the X1 doesn't have a true sport mode that modifies the suspension. The X1's "Sport Mode" occurs when the gear shift is moved to the left which simply downshifts and thereafter shifts at a higher RPM. So your suspension on the M is always in sport.

I have an X1 base model and a M6. I enjoy driving both of them for different reasons, but enjoy the handling and the ride of the X1. Really.

The X1 is the other family car (step daughter drives it mostly) and I take it when I am either skiing or mountain biking or have to drive into Denver to park in tight spots.

After purchasing the car, I ended up replacing the run flats with Goodyear All Season 225/50R17 94H SL Eagle LS2 run flats. No qualms on those tires, but I don't necessarily push them at all times under race conditions.

I have pushed the car though, (when the kids were not in it mind you) and even though the 17's are H rated (the stick of the tire is definitely different) I enjoyed the overall handling of the tires in as much as the handling of the car; from what can be achieved with the tires/car combination.

Now due to my driving my M6 I know what a stiff ride feels under varying circumstances when swapping out the Electronic Dampening Control to different modes. I also put all season's performance tires on the M6, the non run flat Goodyears actually. I believe that Goodyear designed the tires for different types of cars of course, but each tire provides what the car can achieve.

I recommend that you drive a standard X1 with the target run flats/non run flats and see if that brings any insights as to the feel of what you want from the car in terms of roll and other items.

For it may be a car upgrade you seek and not necessarily a tire upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #35
p@dre
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I replaced the OEM Pirelli Cinturato P7 r-f 225/50R17 94W runflats on my x1x28i with a new Sparco wheels and set of Michelin PSS in the size: 225/45ZR-18 on front & 255/40ZR-18 on the rear. Now I'm testing.

- grip on dry surface is better
- more comfort in daily driving
- you can use more force in braking, before start abs (i think, it might be a good reason to change oem brake pads

Last edited by p@dre; 05-01-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #36
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyB View Post
Interesting, read numerous reviews of run-flats and impression are that they are less safe because of much higher frequency to get a puncture compared to non-RFTs. All the reviews did not recommend run-flats implying that they are less safe because of the increased likelihood of punctures, excessive wearing, and lower mpg because of the extra road friction.
very on point here👏👏👏
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #37
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Not all RFTs are uncomfortable. While I agree that the stock Continental Contact 18" are harsh, Bridgestone Driveguard certainly has a plusher ride.

RFT provides the added safety and convenience not having being stranded. Our X1 is our family car and mostly driven by my wife. She will never change tire by the roadside. Waiting for road side assistance may take a while depending where and when. RFT would enable her to drive to the nearest service station/safe location or back to our home where I have 2 sets of spare BMW wheelsets to swap in. It's just a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #38
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
RFT provides the added safety and convenience not having being stranded. Our X1 is our family car and mostly driven by my wife. She will never change tire by the roadside. Waiting for road side assistance may take a while depending where and when.
I fully agree.

I have made a partial switch to non-RFT. My summer tires are standard, but I chose to stay with RFTs for my winter tires.

If my wife was the primary driver of our X1, I too would absolutely have RFTs on it fulltime.