XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #23
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Question

Any opinions on whether to "warm up" in Efficient Mode opposed to Sport/Sport+?

Not sure it is warranted, but I seem to leave in Efficient until I get the temp needle moving. Then switch engine mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet View Post
Any opinions on whether to "warm up" in Efficient Mode opposed to Sport/Sport+?

Not sure it is warranted, but I seem to leave in Efficient until I get the temp needle moving. Then switch engine mode.
It's really simple, don't rag it until the oil warms up enough to do it's job properly. Doesn't matter what mode you're in..

Also I can gurantee driving cars (especially performance cars) like miss daisy causes nothing but issues. My previous car wasn't getting much of a workout and the disks / brakes kept rusting / ceasing.

I had a Focus ST, moved jobs (somewhere near me) and I was stuck doing 30MPH all the time. Until an engine management light came on because it was clogged up. Took it for a good dash down some B roads and it was happy again.

They aren't delicate flowers that need to be fettled lightly, they like us need exercise every now and again to clear out the system.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #25
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
lol

I actually RTFM the other night and it says on page 168,

Drive away immediately
Do not wait for the engine to warm-up while the vehicle remains stationary. Start driving right away, but at moderate engine speeds.
This is the quickest way of warming the cold engine up to operating temperature.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #26
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STOOF View Post
lol

Drive away immediately
Do not wait for the engine to warm-up while the vehicle remains stationary. Start driving right away, but at moderate engine speeds.
This is the quickest way of warming the cold engine up to operating temperature.
Good luck driving your car in -20 with your windshield all frosted. Most people who idle their cars do it because they need to get the heater going so they can see to drive otherwise no one likes to waste gas. In warm weather, yeah get in the car and drive...
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2016, 03:52 AM   #27
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian View Post
Good luck driving your car in -20 with your windshield all frosted. Most people who idle their cars do it because they need to get the heater going so they can see to drive otherwise no one likes to waste gas. In warm weather, yeah get in the car and drive...
This
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:28 AM   #28
Blackhawk878
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 and F15

A garage for your precious usually helps with a frosted windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #29
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk878 View Post
Sorry only a two car garage, F30 ends up staying out chillin....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #30
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
in my area good luck being gentle on the throttle when you have to merge with rush hour traffic
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #31
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
OBVIOUSLY you don't get in and drive away when your window is frosted.

I know a lot of ppl that wait 5-10 mins letting the car warm up before driving away. Not just to defrost their windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #32
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk878 View Post
And if I could bring a garage with me wherever I went, this would make sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #33
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Hit continious redline in cold start for quicker warm up !
Than it goes really slower ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
Followed by another bearing failure thread.
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #34
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Doesn't the defroster work without the engine running?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think initial cold start up would create the most wear. Idling damage after that point for the reasons stated in the OP's link I question. With direct injection I don't think fuel/low temps wash away oil, and with these low tolerance engines rich fuel isn't migrating to cylinder walls and washing away oil
MPG seems like the only liability.

I idle for about a minute, thinking that heat expansion and oil flow helps before acceleration loads are placed on the crankshaft large end bearing shells. I also like getting some heat migration to rear main seal before transmission loads and engine loads twist the drivetrain even ever so slightly.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #36
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOOF View Post
lol

Drive away immediately
Wait... do you mean listen to the BMW engineers as opposed internet experts? WHAT!!! Non-sense!!!
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #37
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Start the car.

Scrape the windows... takes a minute.

Drive off.

It idles for a minute or so max and you are off. Pretty consistent with the owner's manual with a simple "I need to clear windows first" step.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #38
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Doesn't the defroster work without the engine running?
Err, some people don't really understand those of us that drive in the North face some significant issues, and I'd imagine it's the same for Canada, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, etc.

You park your car, come out a few hours later, and the entire thing will be frosted up. Most of us have ice-scrapes, but depending on what is happening, precip, moisture in the air, etc., you simply have to heat up the inside of the car to have a chance of getting it off. Snow is now big deal when it's warmer, but when it's colder you have to wait until the car/windows warm enough so you can scrape it off, so your car is going to sit there idling no matter what. When it's 15 degrees F and higher, sure, once you can see outside, no problems and drive moderately, but when the temps start falling significantly below that, it's not really possible to drive without first heating up the car some, the temperature gradients make fogging and other significant, the fluids are very sluggish, etc. I keep my car in a warm garage every night, but I have a life and sometimes that means parking it for an hour to several hours, as well as at work. It doesn't get cold enough here that we need the pre-heaters they have in Fairbanks, but even there, you can't get a pre-heater everywhere and it's more of a "first-come-first-serve" issue where if you get lucky you can find one. Then there's the age old issue of living close to the highway. I mean, are you going to drive around in circles for a few minutes, exposing yourself to more danger than necessary so the car can get warm enough to accelerate up to highway speeds, or let it idle for a similar amount of time, which is probably a notional difference at most?

These kinds of articles are always directed at the mean of a population, someone that lives in a fairly temperate climate, where when it's below 70F people throw on a jacket. Down to the twenties or so, moderate driving works pretty well to warm up the car, but many people think it's the "end of the world cold" well above that, so these articles are usually directed towards those people.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #39
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Err, some people don't really understand those of us that drive in the North face some significant issues, and I'd imagine it's the same for Canada, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, etc.

You park your car, come out a few hours later, and the entire thing will be frosted up. Most of us have ice-scrapes, but depending on what is happening, precip, moisture in the air, etc., you simply have to heat up the inside of the car to have a chance of getting it off. Snow is now big deal when it's warmer, but when it's colder you have to wait until the car/windows warm enough so you can scrape it off, so your car is going to sit there idling no matter what. When it's 15 degrees F and higher, sure, once you can see outside, no problems and drive moderately, but when the temps start falling significantly below that, it's not really possible to drive without first heating up the car some, the temperature gradients make fogging and other significant, the fluids are very sluggish, etc. I keep my car in a warm garage every night, but I have a life and sometimes that means parking it for an hour to several hours, as well as at work. It doesn't get cold enough here that we need the pre-heaters they have in Fairbanks, but even there, you can't get a pre-heater everywhere and it's more of a "first-come-first-serve" issue where if you get lucky you can find one. Then there's the age old issue of living close to the highway. I mean, are you going to drive around in circles for a few minutes, exposing yourself to more danger than necessary so the car can get warm enough to accelerate up to highway speeds, or let it idle for a similar amount of time, which is probably a notional difference at most?

These kinds of articles are always directed at the mean of a population, someone that lives in a fairly temperate climate, where when it's below 70F people throw on a jacket. Down to the twenties or so, moderate driving works pretty well to warm up the car, but many people think it's the "end of the world cold" well above that, so these articles are usually directed towards those people.

^

It's been around -15 to -35C the past few days, and usually around -20's in the mornings, so my car usually has frost on the windshield, and I don't have a garage unfortunately.

I have to get up each morning and start my car and leave it to idle for 10-15 minutes max depending on the temperature. While I go back in, shower, brush teeth, and throw on clothes for the day. And when I come back to the car, it's completely defrosted and ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #40
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

I have to get up each morning and start my car and leave it to idle for 10-15 minutes
Exactly.

And cars cold-soak real fast in those temps, more than an hour or two inside somewhere and you're back to the start.

Much of the time, the ice and frost here can not simply be scrapped off cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #41
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I don't drive above 2500/3000rpm until the redline is all the way at operating level and I usually still wait until the oil temp gauge starts moving as well.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #42
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
^

It's been around -15 to -35C the past few days, and usually around -20's in the mornings, so my car usually has frost on the windshield, and I don't have a garage unfortunately.

I have to get up each morning and start my car and leave it to idle for 10-15 minutes max depending on the temperature. While I go back in, shower, brush teeth, and throw on clothes for the day. And when I come back to the car, it's completely defrosted and ready to go.
I don't think people who live in moderate climate get what we go through in the middle of winters here, no sense in discussing this any more...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 01:49 AM   #43
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Start the car.

Scrape the windows... takes a minute.

Drive off.

It idles for a minute or so max and you are off. Pretty consistent with the owner's manual with a simple "I need to clear windows first" step.
That's what I usually do except when it's minus 30, then it might take more than a minute...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #44
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Interesting. Seems almost everyone on this thread is an Engineer.
The only way to warm up your engine without increased tear and wear is by having auxiliary heating installed. (another benefit is that your car is warm and ice-free)

Everything else is bogus and tends to make no significant difference. Period.
Appreciate 0