Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Centre Console Removal

Does anyone know how to take apart the centre console?
I'm looking to wrap my trim but I can't find how to remove the trim in the console so I can tuck the wrap around to have a cleaner finish.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

There are 6 screws you need to remove but before that you will have to remove the following:

- Center console cover along with the shift knob
- Rear center console cover
- Center armrest
- Foot control trim panel
- Handbrake cover
- USB/AUX port
- Black shiny plastic radio cover.

In the attached image:

- you need to remove rear center console cover to access screws '1'
- handbrake cover for screw '2'
- center console cover and shift knob for screws '3'.
- for screw '4', there's a screw cover which you will have to pry out to access the screw.

Be careful while taking the shift knob and center console cover out as there's cable connection - one that connects the gear knob and the other connects the iDrive controller.

Unplug any cable connections under the rear center console cover. I had to unplug quite a few as I have baseplate and center console DVD.

Also, pull the handbrake as far up as possible.

Check if there's anything on the way.

Now you are ready to pull it out You will have to pull it towards the rear and lift up from the rear. Now, just a heads up, in my case I have few clips on top of the center console storage that was hitting the radio housing so broke a clip but still couldn't remove the center console completely as I hadn't remove the USB/AUX port as I just couldn't . So be careful while removing the center console. I had to get it done with it only half removed as I was just installing a cable for 6NR retrofit. I will be doing it again as I have to install more cables as there's audio sync issues on the videos. So, good luck
Attached Images

jaeezzy...

Last edited by jaeezzy; 09-01-2016 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
There are 6 screws you need to remove but before that you will have to remove the following:

- Center console cover along with the shift knob
- Rear center console cover
- Center armrest
- Foot control trim panel
- Handbrake cover
- USB/AUX port
- Black shiny plastic radio cover.

In the attached image:

- you need to remove rear center console cover to access screws '1'
- handbrake cover for screw '2'
- center console cover and shift knob for screws '3'.
- for screw '4', there's a screw cover which you will have to pry out to access the screw.

Be careful while taking the shift knob and center console cover out as there's cable connection - one that connects the gear knob and the other connects the iDrive controller.

Unplug any cable connections under the rear center console cover. I had to unplug quite a few as I have baseplate and center console DVD.

Also, pull the handbrake as far up as possible.

Check if there's anything on the way.

Now you are ready to pull it out You will have to pull it towards the rear and lift up from the rear. Now, just a heads up, in my case I have few clips on top of the center console storage that was hitting the radio housing so broke a clip but still couldn't remove the center console completely as I hadn't remove the USB/AUX port as I just couldn't . So be careful while removing the center console. I had to get it done with it only half removed as I was just installing a cable for 6NR retrofit. I will be doing it again as I have to install more cables as there's audio sync issues on the videos. So, good luck
I don't need the whole centre console out, just the black trim around the shifter and I drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanpaglia View Post
I don't need the whole centre console out, just the black trim around the shifter and I drive.
Ok then you can just pry out the black trim around the shift knob. I take them off using just my nails Once out, pull the shift knob upwards carefully to remove it as there's a cable connection. Once out, unplug the cable and your trim along with the shift knob should come off. Now, you can just pull the center console cover from shift knob area to remove it as well. Again, there's iDrive controller cable that you'll need to remove before you can completely take off this cover. They are all clips so all you need is trim panel removal tools if you don't have nails like mine

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok then you can just pry out the black trim around the shift knob. I take them off using just my nails Once out, pull the shift knob upwards carefully to remove it as there's a cable connection. Once out, unplug the cable and your trim along with the shift knob should come off. Now, you can just pull the center console cover from shift knob area to remove it as well. Again, there's iDrive controller cable that you'll need to remove before you can completely take off this cover. They are all clips so all you need is trim panel removal tools if you don't have nails like mine
I have the shift nob in the picture. I just pull it off? Straight up?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
I have the shift nob in the picture. I just pull it off? Straight up?
Ya straight up. Grab the knob and pull it straight up but do it in a controlled way so that you don't pull it hard all the way up and disconnect the cable as well and break the cable or sth. When I did this, it just disconnected the cable but better if you can avoid it. Once out you can then disconnect the cable properly and there'll be a gap there. But before this just pry out the trim. You can then just use your hand to pull the center console cover from there. See pic below..
Attached Images

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
m3_tristan
Be Original.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ya straight up. Grab the knob and pull it straight up but do it in a controlled way so that you don't pull it hard all the way up and disconnect the cable as well and break the cable or sth. When I did this, it just disconnected the cable but better if you can avoid it. Once out you can then disconnect the cable properly and there'll be a gap there. But before this just pry out the trim. You can then just use your hand to pull the center console cover from there. See pic below..
There are no screws under the I drive nob?
I'm ordering my warp now
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
There are no screws under the I drive nob?
I'm ordering my warp now
Ya there will just be a cable from the iDrive controller to detach. Dealing with screws is only when you have to remove the whole center console out.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0