Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
I'd find a n20 intercooler option, the big 7 inch may be too much pressure drop and not help you much to make more power. If oem intercoolers are the same for n20 and n55 then it will fit, but I didn't look it up to verify.

"How does your catless downpipe smell while driving and at stop lights? I've read various responses from the Subaru forums of catless DPs smelling less after a tune and some say the still smell like rotten eggs. Does the auto/start feature help at stoplights with the smell too?"

I have no cats, the downpipe and the secondaries have been removed, full custom exhaust setup all stainless, borla catless front pipes from 335 into vibrant resonators and then a maganflow muffler into a modified Active Auto version 1 135 rear section. Sounds great, but fumes are an issue... idling in traffic with windows down you can definitely smell exhaust. e85 changes the smell a bit so its not that bad. It doesn't not smell like rotten eggs at all. I dont have start/stop in n55 car.
Not sure if i'm reading that right, but you're running E90 N55 midpipes?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #24
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Yes e90 downpipe and front pipes are same as n55 X1. They are different in the rear of the car as the e90 335 splits to dual outlet.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #25
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
BMW guy said he liking a rk flash tune at the moment
supersprint ,Italy said relocating charcoal canister for fuel tank for dual rear exit exhaust mod? hmm works
wagner intercooler on to do list ,
took stock IC out and cleaned it when in replaced chargepipe, next project when funds allow

oil catch can seems to be in line for intake tract n55 oiling and walnut blasting @75k was a must do ,had i known about flash tune while it was all apart, would have sent it out then ,when intake was off for oil filter housing gasket

the mods listed for your car are a great roadmap for future 35I mods have been contemplating a downpipe and rk tune what ,intercooler seems logical choice and custom exhaust

your info has been greatly appreciated for my little car as getting it in shape was the first priority, many hours of labor later i am enjoying not wrenching on it for a little while while planning the next mod

proteus290
austin tx

Last edited by proteus290; 02-20-2020 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: updated
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #26
Xdrive35i2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus290 View Post
BMW guy said he liking a rk flash tune at the moment
supersprint ,Italy said relocating charcoal canister for fuel tank for dual rear exit exhaust mod? hmm works
wagner intercooler on to do list ,
took stock IC out and cleaned it when in replaced chargepipe, next project when funds allow

oil catch can seems to be in line for intake tract n55 oiling and walnut blasting @75k was a must do ,had i known about flash tune while it was all apart, would have sent it out then ,when intake was off for oil filter housing gasket

the mods listed for your car are a great roadmap for future 35I mods have been contemplating a downpipe and rk tune what ,intercooler seems logical choice and custom exhaust

your info has been greatly appreciated for my little car as getting it in shape was the first priority, many hours of labor later i am enjoying not wrenching on it for a little while while planning the next mod

proteus290
austin tx
what is a "rk" tune? I recommend to just use MHD and be done with it. No ECU removal required since Nov 2019. Get the basic upgrades, charge pipe, downpipe and intercooler. You will have good power already. When you are ready, step up to a Pure Stage 2 turbo and get a custom tune. Based on what i read, oil catch can doesn't do much for the N55 engines. Spend your money on something else.

I have a full Supersprint exhaust system - front, mid and muffler. Even with the mid-resonator pipe, it is loud as hell. At around 1500 -1700 rpm when under heavyload, there is drone; however, beyond 2k rpm, there is no drone. When close to redline, the car sounds crazy amazing.

This is coming from a guy with a E63 M6 as well...
Mod List: Twisted Tuning MHD tune, XHP3, ER Charge Pipe, catless DP, ER Competition FMIC, Pure Stage 2 Turbo, PURE High Flow Inlet Pipe, ER Outlet Pipe, GFB DV (Plus), Gruppe M intake, Supersprint full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #27
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
RK Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
what is a "rk" tune? I recommend to just use MHD and be done with it. No ECU removal required since Nov 2019. Get the basic upgrades, charge pipe, downpipe and intercooler. You will have good power already. When you are ready, step up to a Pure Stage 2 turbo and get a custom tune. Based on what i read, oil catch can doesn't do much for the N55 engines. Spend your money on something else.

I have a full Supersprint exhaust system - front, mid and muffler. Even with the mid-resonator pipe, it is loud as hell. At around 1500 -1700 rpm when under heavyload, there is drone; however, beyond 2k rpm, there is no drone. When close to redline, the car sounds crazy amazing.

This is coming from a guy with a E63 M6 as well...
RK Tune is a customised tune that has ECU to be bench flashed,
As a rookie to all this new info, I listen and learn,
My last trip to Hendricks BMW dealership in Austin, finally found a chatty Parts guy/Mechanic, He was telling me about "RK Tune" Bench flash out of New York, I had the ECU intake manifold out when i Walnut Blasted valves.for a few weeks Had to pull intake for new oil filter housing gasket oring.

At that time Was just trying to get engine back together after several weeks of downtime for lengthy parts orders, and many new parts,wanted to test and drive again before any more new parts changes or mods .

Question: How do u like supersprint Downpipe? Any better fit with the flex coupler on down pipe?

Super sprint exhaust is pricey, Wagner DP seems worthy also has flex fitting on down pipe

Any one have some news on race AFE N55 Race Downpipe Fitment with resonance tube to reduce Drone? does it work?

And will there be clearance on E84 Chassis to fit it?

Super sprint telling me dual exit Exhaust on E84 requires relocation of charcoal canister box for fuel tank, but it will fit,would like some more info and a few pics of different exhaust installation notes for E 84. N55 fitment. This engine needs to breath better seems very restricted.

Wagner 7" inter cooler or VRSF? Any one better than the other? which ones is the best for ongoing mods and fits up the best/ charge pipe is VRSF and instlled after OEM CP Broke,

when i took oem intercooler out to clean it upper pipe to turbo seems to be loose, maybe o rings shrunk up, seems to wiggle more than it should ,looked at VRSF upper turbo pipe to replace it next time when intercooler goes in,

so many items to research as my budget permits me to gather new parts for the next round of mods

proteus 290
Austin Tx
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #28
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive35i2014 View Post
Do you have the Supersprint catless "front pipes" (secondary cat delete)?

Do you have the Supersprint "Centre pipe" or "Centre exhaust" (linked below)?

Video/sound clip request please!

Center pipe
https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...xhaust.aspx#!/

Center exhaust
https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...xhaust.aspx#!/
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #29
citizenboyo
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 28i X1

Sorry, Might be a dumb questions but what exactly do oil catch cans do? Do they prevent gas from recirculating into the engine or is it engine oil?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #30
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenboyo View Post
Sorry, Might be a dumb questions but what exactly do oil catch cans do? Do they prevent gas from recirculating into the engine or is it engine oil?
It's oil. Or rather, oil particulates. Oil vapors in the head and block are routed through the PCV valve, back to the intake, so they can be ingested and burned, rather than vented to atmosphere (for emissions/EPA compliance). Normally not a huge issue, since the fuel would spray the valves on the way into the engine, keeping them mostly clean. With the newer Direct Injection systems, the injector sprays into the cylinder itself (kind of like how the spark plug sits). So, add together oil vapors, hot valves, and lack of cleaning fuel spray, the oil and other carbon byproducts begin collecting and burning onto the valves (similar to oil coking). This buildup restricts airflow, changes the air flow pattern into the cylinder, and eventually begins to cause misfires. In extreme cases, the crumbling bits can come loose and ruin a valve seat or bend a valve.

So, after that novel, the oil catch can is installed inline with the PCV system. The air with oil vapors goes through the can, and through a series of baffles. The oil (and moisture I believe) is allowed to condense back to liquid form (or at least get trapped in the can/baffles). Every so often, just pull the can (some have a screw on can like an oil filter) and empty it out. By eliminating and/or reducing the oil vapors going down the intake, the less buildup that will form on the valves. Also helps to keep the rest of the intake cleaner (throttle body, temp and airflow sensor, etc). The charge pipe and intercooler are known places where oil will condense, and make a mess during disassembly.
Appreciate 2