XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
2014bmwx1
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw x1

Vanity mirror light

I have a 2014 X1 xdrive28i (Canadian version). It doesn't come with lights for the vanity mirror. Does anyone know if they can be installed or a possible solution for better lighting?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
I did an informal poll last summer and it was hit or miss to see them installed. Which does not answer your questions, but is still something I find odd to be missing.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Yarvis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 SDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
I did an informal poll last summer and it was hit or miss to see them installed. Which does not answer your questions, but is still something I find odd to be missing.
Me and my wife were just talking about this today. It seems to have lighted vanity mirrors, you need to have a lighting package. I posted on another thread if these vanity sunshades can be retrofitted without the expensive package, does anyone know???
      02-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

I notice this too, now personally I think that's a bit of a pi** take. With the amount BMW charges for their cars you would at least expect them to come with vanity mirror lights and not expect to have that as an optional extra!

In fact I'm not even sure if any other manufacturer doesn't even bother putting in vanity mirror lights! Even if they don't this is BMW we're talking about here.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy;*****212
I notice this too, now personally I think that's a bit of a pi** take. With the amount BMW charges for their cars you would at least expect them to come with vanity mirror lights and not expect to have that as an optional extra!

In fact I'm not even sure if any other manufacturer doesn't even bother putting in vanity mirror lights! Even if they don't this is BMW we're talking about here.
You should think it come stock and not as a option?
Remember a E46 where you needed to take electric windows in option only for the 2 front doors and again a 2nd option for the rear windows to be electric?

Be glad the option is there. A friend of me had a new car couple of years ago. A Skoda Octavia, he had heated seat in the back, the option didn't exist for BMW 3 series (back then you could take it in a 5 series). So BMW wanted to compare there 5 series with a Skoda Octavia?

Not sure you can built it after but when you see how they build in cable's for navigation, dashcam's,.... I think it should be possible. Do it with commen sence or ask someone handy with brain. Not the 1st car that burns down due to a extra built in light/led.

If you still need to order your car, just for light pakket option, you get the nice leds and the door handles ass well, already white leds, so nice in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1;*****347
You should think it come stock and not as a option?
Remember a E46 where you needed to take electric windows in option only for the 2 front doors and again a 2nd option for the rear windows to be electric?
The E46 was first released in 1998, we're now in 2014! I don't think it's unreasonable to expect vanity mirror lights as standard. Even bluetooth is standard now so not having something as simple as vanity mirror lights seems rather extreme!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy;*****443
The E46 was first released in 1998, we're now in 2014! I don't think it's unreasonable to expect vanity mirror lights as standard. Even bluetooth is standard now so not having something as simple as vanity mirror lights seems rather extreme!
Even then, I remember it was 400 euro (well, the euro didn't existed but calculated, should be between 400-430 dollar) back then for electric windows on a expensive car where cheap car/models where inoveted with standard electric windows.

It was extreme to see a small Peugeot with electric windows and next to that a BMW (3 times the price) with no electric windows.

No USB, Bluetooth, vanity mirror lights, AC,... it is just not only extreme but retarted that they're asking so mutch for it in option.
One's you have it you need to remember to take it the next time are you will mis it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Chrjy
Enlisted Member
Rep

As BMW owners we all know that everything is an optional extra I just think that BMW sometimes take it too far...soon they'll say the doors are an optional extra!!

I feel in this day and age there are some things that should come as standard such as vanity mirror lights, if they can add bluetooth as standard they should certainly not expect customers to pay for vanity mirror lights.

The worse thing is they dress most things up as a package so it's not like you can just say I don't want all the other stuff just give me the vanity mirror lights.

That was one of the issues I was having when speccing my X1, there were some things I wanted but because they were included as part of a package I decided to forget them as the other things in the package I wasn't interested in but am being forced to pay for them even if I didn't want them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Correct, if they ask money for it then they should at least ask normal prices.
Pakkets are fine as long if you could take the stuff seperatly ass well.

Also not cool when you change (for example) the colour of the leather that you get a other colour inlay. It makes the production cost less for them and again more expensive for us (to go induvidual if it is possible at all).

You could think "If you don't like it or don't want to pay for it then buy another brand." Well, customers could think like that but BMW can't, they will lose there customers due to that eventialy. Not when other brands gone do the same stuff but then the competition is high, have a look at MB directions now with there latest designer. (MB sport seats are so great now, before they didn't go that far but then the new navigation is so stupid looking where the old one was build in nicely.)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy;*****546
That was one of the issues I was having when speccing my X1, there were some things I wanted but because they were included as part of a package I decided to forget them as the other things in the package I wasn't interested in but am being forced to pay for them even if I didn't want them.
I know what you mean. I wanted cruise control and front parking sensors so had to order the 'Driver Comfort Package' which includes the lighting package (which I probably would have gone for anyway), but the parking sensors are only audible and the audio display is only a narrow strip in the radio. To get a visual display for the parking sensors and more info for the radio/iPod I had to order the Satnav which I won't use that much. When I was looking at Audis, they let you order most things individually and have packages that combine things at a lower price, but then again if you wanted a sunroof you also had to order the lighting package (which included the vanity mirror lights) so they're all the same.
Appreciate 0