Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

X1 1.8 sdrive color...

Last night I've ordered my X1 and i'm very happy BUT...

still have hesitations about the color. I had a 116i saphire black and sold it. The metallic look wasnt too impressive to me unless washed and waxed. it was like a very very deep grey.

So my order went to jet black but after reading the threads in here about how sensible color is on the scratched etc I'm in doubts about my order.

I never wash my car my self but instead I'm giving it to the petrol station which most of them have no good brushes. Also the weather here in Greece most of the year is sunny and hot at least for 4 months in total (these 4 months are very hot). I can imagine that the jet black color will have no sun reflection thus will make the car boiled and will affect the performance as done on my 116i. Black saphire has this tiny crystal mirrors inside giving some short of sun protection, right?

Also there are full of bees and other flying tiny things flying during spring and summer when I usually travel so these are splashed on the car on the countryside roads and high streets thus leaving some signs on the color..

Chicken shit is also a problem here as we have lot of doves flying and shiting cars (thats is like acid!)..

JB I can imagine will be more impressive but I'm afraif of all of the above...

As you can see is the black's color nightmare here!

Any thoughts..?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
El_GrindCore
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d

I cannot add anything new, but telling you that I chose white after all the bickering I heard about black color. I was keen on black myself...but stepped back...

am I a coward?

YES XD but now white looks good to me... I guess self suggestion is a powerful force :P
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

I think you should go for the lighter colors. Alpine white, mineral white and titanium silver will hide dirt, insects and bird poo better. We have a metallic black car and it is almost impossible to hide marks of bird poo, even if you wipe it immediately.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Go for white. The only problem could be the notches. If the ground coat is black, you get the black scratches. Still better than the dust which is clearly seen on the black-coated car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Yeah white is better for dirt. But I got Jet Black! XD Checking out other black cars, I've figured that even when they're really dirty, it still looks good. I don't wash the car too often either.

Order still didn't came through though... I'm sticking with JB. I like the deep dark black feel of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
dimitris33
Private
Rep

anybody have a close photo of the jet black?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Seen these pics: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430013 ?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
constantinos19
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 soon

Dimitri,
i ordered my x1 in August but i still don't have it.
I ordered it in Alpine white( i am from Cyprus) and i think that lighter colours are better.

Na ta poume kai ligo sta ELLINIKA.Nomizo oti to mauro to metalliko einai ena katapliktiko xroma kai gia auto imoun kai metaksi autou alla opos les kai esi eimaste iliolousti xora kai protimisa to aspro.
Kai tora pou vlepo na kikloforoun eimai xaroumenos pou to ekana auto. An epimeineis sto mauro sou proteino to metalliko min kaneis to lathos na pareis to aplo. ALLA eimaste ELLADA.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitris33 View Post
Last night I've ordered my X1 and i'm very happy BUT...

still have hesitations about the color. I had a 116i saphire black and sold it. The metallic look wasnt too impressive to me unless washed and waxed. it was like a very very deep grey.

So my order went to jet black but after reading the threads in here about how sensible color is on the scratched etc I'm in doubts about my order.

I never wash my car my self but instead I'm giving it to the petrol station which most of them have no good brushes. Also the weather here in Greece most of the year is sunny and hot at least for 4 months in total (these 4 months are very hot). I can imagine that the jet black color will have no sun reflection thus will make the car boiled and will affect the performance as done on my 116i. Black saphire has this tiny crystal mirrors inside giving some short of sun protection, right?

Also there are full of bees and other flying tiny things flying during spring and summer when I usually travel so these are splashed on the car on the countryside roads and high streets thus leaving some signs on the color..

Chicken shit is also a problem here as we have lot of doves flying and shiting cars (thats is like acid!)..

JB I can imagine will be more impressive but I'm afraif of all of the above...

As you can see is the black's color nightmare here!

Any thoughts..?
Hi Dimitris33,

I lived Africa for many years and it has two things that does not go well with a black car...dust and heat.

In my opinion I would suggest you go for a lighter colour. I have a Titanium Silver X1 and find it does show the dirt as easily as my previous car which was a dark blue. Not that we have much of either up here in Scotland
Appreciate 0