XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Ordered new X1 and got few questions :)

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum to post. Though I have been sneaking through posts for few months now already, I ordered one today so thought of finally getting involved as well I'm from Australia and just had my order go through today for X1sdrive18d M Sport, Alpine with manual transmission, loaded with most packages available here along with black front grilles I was wondering if M Sport makes any difference on the performance compared to X-Line sdrive18d coz they only had this X-line for test drive and the overall response/performance wasn't much of a wow factor. Felt like just another car... ESP after test driving Mini Cooper, I realised that the engine sound, throttle response on X1 was bit dull or is it just me...
Also, would those sunroof, electric heated seats and the lighting options affect the responsiveness/performance of the car?

Jay
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The m sport comes with a different suspension. That's really the only non-cosmetic feature. All those add-ons will make it slower sure to the added weight, especially the glass roof. That glass roof will also hurt handling by a big margin because of its massive weight at the highest point of the car.

An 18d is an 18d no matter which line you choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

I've just picked up an 18d xDrive, and my first impressions are that it is not as fast as my previous VW with similar power, but that is more likely down to the engine still being tight and my reluctance to push it too hard just yet. My daughter has a Mini Cooper which certainly shifts, but that is a petrol and a much smaller car. It all depends on what you are used to. The beauty of the diesel is that it pulls great from low revs and holding on to the gears is no benefit.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Thanks Twix and Royleblue for the replies.. I thought that M Sport suspension and the M Aerodynamics would help a bit on the performance. Also heard somewhere that on M Sport the vehicle will get the higher top speed compared to other lines??

@Royleblue when you said that diesel pulls great from low revs, do you mean the pick up is good even in high gears?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
It does have a higher top speed, because BMW has raised/removed the limiter.

The aerodynamics will help very little as the car sits too high off the ground for any aero bits to make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

[QUOTE=jaeezzy;15536378]Hi guys, I'm new to this forum to post. Though I have been sneaking through posts for few months now already, I ordered one today so thought of finally getting involved as well I'm from Australia and just had my order go through today for X1sdrive18d M Sport, Alpine with manual transmission, loaded with most packages available here along with black front grilles I was wondering if M Sport makes any difference on the performance compared to X-Line sdrive18d coz they only had this X-line for test drive and the overall response/performance wasn't much of a wow factor. Felt like just another car... ESP after test driving Mini Cooper, I realised that the engine sound, throttle response on X1 was bit dull or is it just me...
Also, would those sunroof, electric heated seats and the lighting options affect the responsiveness/performance of the car?

im so jelly that you are able to order a manual tranny with your X1....
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Concur with Gangsta re: the manual tranny.
A moot point, as my bride can't drive a stick.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
@Royleblue when you said that diesel pulls great from low revs, do you mean the pick up is good even in high gears?
Haven't been able to try the X1 much as I picked it up on Saturday then had to leave it at the airport on Monday morning for a week in Germany but my previous Audi and VW diesels pulled well from below 2000 rpm. Cruising at 70 mph you could still accelerate sharply if needed without dropping down from sixth.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Twix: Thanks.. so lowering the suspension could make those stiffer suspension and M aerobits actually make the difference..

Gangsta: Aussies have a different perception to manual tranny I guess.. I had to pay extra for the deposit for manual coz the dealer feared I might later change my mind to automatic so he kept asking me if it was definitely manual .. also they are hard to sell later but it's alright for me coz I don't intend to, at least not at this stage

halfmoonclip: lucky my bride doesn't drive

Royleblue: Ya I guess X1 won't disappoint coz it has 320 torque from 1750 - 2500 RPMs as per the spec.. but just that while driving X1 sdrive18d X-line didn't feel that torque or may be it's just me.. will see to it once I get hold of mine

Last edited by jaeezzy; 03-04-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The m sport is lowered I believe 10mm from the factory. H&R and AC Schnitzer both lower about 30mm (20 for m sport) and Dinan had told me his spring kit will do 20mm (10 for m sport).

The only lowering that will make a difference in high speed acceleration is more power.

Although, top speed, down force and fuel economy will ever so slightly increase.

Last point to make; KW makes a coilover kit which you can probably get 3" of lowering out of.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

jaezzy : i just wish we could order up a manual tranny and diesel here in the states, i my self would love to have one since i do a lot of mountain driving. that would be a perfect comb for me, so enjoy your new ride player...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #12
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Twix: Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind for future may be but now.. nooo can't afford to void my warrantly.

Gangsta: I will in couple mths
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Twix: BTW, just went through the M Sport items in "Build my BMW" on their site and they say "without lowered chassis" for sport suspension setting.. they mention just stiffer settings for springs & dampers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
My dealer installed my AC springs and said they will warranty both the spring and the labour as if it was factory parts.
Appreciate 0