08-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Static noise from speakers?

Hi all,

So I installed the Focal speakers about a year ago. No problems whatsoever since, absolutely loved the speakers. But starting about a week ago, I started getting a static noise coming from the left side door panel, from both the speaker and the tweeter. I thought it may have been interference of some sort, and realized I recently hooked up my phone to the bluetooth of the car. So, I tried disconnecting it, and still get the same noise. Any ideas?

It seems like the noise comes with the tone frequency, only occurring sometimes. The noise gets louder as I turn the volume up. I also thought it may have been a rattling noise, but I removed the door panel and held the speaker alone in my hand. Same issue. This leads me to believe that it may be a grounding issue perhaps?

Again, it only occurs from the left side of the X1, nothing on the right. My guess would be a grounding issue, but any other ideas? Also, would BMW be able to check this out under my warranty despite replacing the stock speakers with this Focal kit?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

If it's the same side (both woofer/tweeter), I doubt it's a problem with the speakers. That said, I would definitely have BMW check it out. Make sure they don't replace the speakers with OEM! I would have no problem saying you have the focal kit to them.

BTW, is the static left side front only or left side front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
dmegeath
Rep
Drives: X1

Try swapping speakers left side/right side; if the problem moves with the swap, you have a speaker problem; if the problems stays it is something else.

Perhaps other audio experts here can help - maybe the output of the sound system amplifier has a defect on the one channel/side?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
If it's the same side (both woofer/tweeter), I doubt it's a problem with the speakers. That said, I would definitely have BMW check it out. Make sure they don't replace the speakers with OEM! I would have no problem saying you have the focal kit to them.

BTW, is the static left side front only or left side front and rear?
Thanks! And it's the left front side only. Rear is working just fine. Odd thing is that when I move the balance to the front left in the tone settings, the noise goes away. Really confusing.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegeath View Post
Try swapping speakers left side/right side; if the problem moves with the swap, you have a speaker problem; if the problems stays it is something else.

Perhaps other audio experts here can help - maybe the output of the sound system amplifier has a defect on the one channel/side?
I think it's gotta be the amp. I actually did swap the speakers, and same problem with the right side speakers in the left front panel. It's even getting worse now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Thanks! And it's the left front side only. Rear is working just fine. Odd thing is that when I move the balance to the front left in the tone settings, the noise goes away. Really confusing.
Well, that's got to be something screwy with the amp and not the head unit I think. If it were me, I'd pull the back liner and reseat the amp connectors. There is a ground bolt near the amp that has 4 ground wires--I think one of them to the amp.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's got to be something screwy with the amp and not the head unit I think. If it were me, I'd pull the back liner and reseat the amp connectors. There is a ground bolt near the amp that has 4 ground wires--I think one of them to the amp.
Thanks!

I just went ahead and dropped it off at BMW. Hopefully they correct the issue, but if not, I'll follow your advice and try pulling the amp connectors. My money'so definitely on the amp, or some grounding issue. I'll post up what happens for reference if anyone else has a similar issue!

Last edited by squishy; 08-10-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks!

I just went ahead and dropped it off at BMW. Hopefully they correct the issue, but if now, I'love follow your advice and try pulling the amp connectors. My money'so definitely on the amp, or some grounding issue. I'll post up what happens for reference if anyone else has a similar issue!
When you dropped off your car did you tell the BMW service advisor that you had replaced the speakers?

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can_Car View Post
When you dropped off your car did you tell the BMW service advisor that you had replaced the speakers?
I did not. I'm sure they'll probably figure it out. Hopefully it doesn't affect my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Update: BMW said they can't do anything about the speakers under warranty. Figures. Called Crutchfield, and luckily I had a 1 year warranty on them, so they sent out new Focal speakers for me to replace them. Crutchfield is a great company, excellent customer service.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update: BMW said they can't do anything about the speakers under warranty. Figures. Called Crutchfield, and luckily I had a 1 year warranty on them, so they sent out new Focal speakers for me to replace them. Crutchfield is a great company, excellent customer service.
That is great service! So the problem was the Focal speakers???
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Quote:
That is great service! So the problem was the Focal speakers???
That's my guess. I figured I would go from there and see what happens. I'll also be replacing the wiring that comes with the Focal kit, so maybe that might do the trick. I'll keep this thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep

Problem solved!

Turns out it was the speaker. Really didn't think it would be, but I was wrong. Removed the door panel in 10 minutes, replaced speaker, tested it, put the door panel back on, done. Fixed. Never sounded better.

Two things, first, nothing should be taken away from Focal! Problems happen. Still, hands down, the best speakers I have heard in any car. Second, Crutchfield is awesome! Called them on Saturday evening and explained the situation, they quickly sent out another set without hesitation. Got the shipment on Tuesday (today), replaced today, and they e-mailed me a return label so I don't get charged anything. Had a 1 year warranty on these, luckily the warranty was to end this November. Highly recommend Crutchfield!!
Appreciate 0