Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Additional weather stripping around the doors

The one item I really dislike on our M-Sport is the really crappy sealing around the doors. Especially around the running boards. The OEM seals have gaps at both ends that allows dirt and water to get sucked up into the dead space. It would not be so bad except when the water drains out there are lovely black streaks.

As such, I am looking at adding additional weather stripping that would seal all along the bottom of the door. I am looking for something like this weather seal.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...839090391.html

I would install it all along the bottom of both the front and rear doors. Air would still be able to come in and given the running board is plastic it water gets trapped there should not be an issue with rust.

Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

5 months of owning X1, those ugly black patches all around the door sills and the boot sills have always baffled me. I was thinking maybe it's new there are still grease that rain sweeps down to the sills creating those patches and was waiting for it to eventually stop Let me know how sealing works out for you.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

I like your idea but you may not like the unintended side effect of more/better seals. The Ford F-150/F-250 crowd has been doing this for years to reduce noise, etc. but 100% of them report the following consequence:

More effort is required to close the doors than before. The usual force won't close the door, you will have to give it a harder push from now on. Some folks drilled or cut little holes into the rubber every few inches to let the rubber tube "exhale" faster when closing a door, with some marginal improvement but were not able to completely eliminate the additional effort needed to close the doors after performing this modification.

If you can accept the above drawback, then you'll likely be satisfied with the end result.
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0