XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Operation of sunroof/sunshade

Spent 15 minutes trying to decipher the owner's manual (even finding it in the manual was a challenge). I won't share the page number; see how long it takes you to find it.
It's far less than clear; I can tip the roof easily enough, but it's confusing trying to close it without closing the sunhade as well.
Any suggestions on keeping things straight? It's a great system, and I love the large moonroof, but the operation is a PITA.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

one short pull on the level should just close the glass. one long pull should close the glass AND shade. I only knew this from my wifes mini.

also, if you lock the door with the key and hold it in the lock position it will close the glass.

the odd one, I closed the shade and left before it had finished. I think by walking away I got out of range before it completed so it was only half closed. funky.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

It you have comfort access, you can also close the windows and sun roof by holding the door handle.

As for closing it while in the car said above - one short pull on the level should just close the glass. one long pull should close the glass AND shade.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
If you tilt the glass, then push the button again, it will close the shade 90% so the car can vent without as much sun beating in. Hope all this doesn't confuse you too much lol
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
If you tilt the glass, then push the button again, it will close the shade 90% so the car can vent without as much sun beating in. Hope all this doesn't confuse you too much lol
Twix, I think this is perzactly the problem. I like to crack the vent to let hot air out in moderate weather; in truly hot weather it's worthwhile closing (or nearly so) the shade while cracking the roof. I'll try the 'lock the doors/close the roof' trick.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Like getting the trunk to actually pop, making the sunroof function consistently is something I've mostly given up on. I just push the button a dozen times and watch random things happen. All previous BMW's have worked clearly, but the X1 is like an AT&T customer service representative.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Seems kinda odd, I haven't had a problem with operating the trunk via my remote or using the sun roof. This is my first BMW and my first car with a sub roof.

I do have a problem figuring out why some people say they can use a standard Apple cable to play their iPod and my car won't accept the cable and tells me to go pound sand. For a 2014 MY cat, the connectivity is far below sub standard
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Like getting the trunk to actually pop, making the sunroof function consistently is something I've mostly given up on. I just push the button a dozen times and watch random things happen. All previous BMW's have worked clearly, but the X1 is like an AT&T customer service representative.
I'm happy and relieved to see I'm not the only one challenged by the roof/sunshade.
Tried closing the roof with the remote while locking the doors; it closed the roof, but also closed the sunshade partway, not a desired outcome.
One more switch would have made the whole operation far simpler.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, had a small epiphany today; there's a distinction between pressing the control on the ceiling and pressing AND holding...a quick press will close the roof, and a prolonged press will also operate the shade.
I feel like a dunce, but it does seem that it is more complicated than need be. I have a sneaking notion that mechanical switches are expensive, while having them serve multiple purposes with 0s and 1s is relatively cheap.
The other issue may well be available space for switchgear and adapting the switches for the options on a particular model.

We're in FL for a week or so; really didn't have much chance or reason to open the roof while we were up north. I would have been another couple months figuring it out if we'd stayed home!
Moon

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 02-24-2014 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0