XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

iPhone 5 adapter music & BMWApps

So my X1 has BMW Apps, etc. and I need the iPhone 5 adapter.

My dealer said it wasn't out when I purchased the car back in Jan so I waited. Last week I was on the BMWUSA website and found:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...NAP-IN-ADAPTER

So I ordered it.

It states in the description:
this adapter not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone.

For vehicles with BMW APPS, this adapter is required to fully utilize all features of this option.

The next day my dealer called me and said that the adapter I ordered will ONLY do BMW Apps, and not music. That sounds pretty ass-backwards to me, but I trusted him after he said he had several returns because they didn't play.

Now I'm wondering if this is actually the case or if he is mistaken.

Anyone have the adapter for an iPhone 5 or 5s that does music AND BMWApps?

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

The adapter is fairly new. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. We just plug in the phone directly and get everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

From what I understand, the only major benefit of using the "snap-in adapter" is that it connects the exterior antenna to the case of your iPhone. But to use the snap-in, the iPhone must not be in any case whatsoever. Using a USB from the front console to the phone gets you almost everything else other than some minor add-ons, which I've yet to see specified anywhere. I've just got a USB to Apple Lightning cable plugged into that USB port with the cable laying in the well under the climate control/presets. I really only even use that when I'm on a long road trip. For any short trip, the phone's bluetooth connection covers all my needs YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just like the clean hidden look/function of the snap-in. It keeps me from having the cords dangling and laying in the car. Yeah, I get it. Small annoyance, but it's one that just bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

We had the snap-in in the Z4 and loved it. Then when the phones changed, we used the usb connection, but it was still hidden in the arm rest instead of the console.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

The dealer tels me iPhone 5 only half the things works. For iPhone 5S nothing works. A good adapter for iPhone 5 and 5S isn't out yet.

Frustrating it is.

I searched for a alternative. Have a look, the holder is very small, easy and good, the cable isn't long and will do just fine, it is still clean in the car because I hate 'stuff' around me.

Smartphone holder 25 euro:
Kenu Airframe Portable Car Vent Mount
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

Charging cable 25 euro:
Griffin USB-naar-Lightning spiraalkabel
http://store.apple.com/be-nl/product...-12-m?fnode=45

Have a look at this app as well, not sure you guy's heared about Coyoté.
This 'Waze' is a free alternative on it. It is a navigation and is used to share traffice info.

Waze
https://www.waze.com/nl/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
balljack
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 | X1 35i | Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerX1 View Post
The dealer tels me iPhone 5 only half the things works. For iPhone 5S nothing works. A good adapter for iPhone 5 and 5S isn't out yet.

Frustrating it is.

I searched for a alternative. Have a look, the holder is very small, easy and good, the cable isn't long and will do just fine, it is still clean in the car because I hate 'stuff' around me.

Smartphone holder 25 euro:
Kenu Airframe Portable Car Vent Mount
http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

Charging cable 25 euro:
Griffin USB-naar-Lightning spiraalkabel
http://store.apple.com/be-nl/product...-12-m?fnode=45

Have a look at this app as well, not sure you guy's heared about Coyoté.
This 'Waze' is a free alternative on it. It is a navigation and is used to share traffice info.

Waze
https://www.waze.com/nl/
Thanks for posting this. I love the look of the smartphone mount you mentioned. I'm a fan of Waze too. I use it all the time when I'm using my other car - even though it has Nav, albeit crappy. With this mount, it'll make it easier for me because mine keeps falling off especially on a sunny day. Not to mention that I think the windshield mount takes away a couple thousand dollars off from the value of the car (Ha ha ha).

I almost bought the iPhone 5/5s adapter for the X1 but my dealer told me that it only supports basic functions. I was advised to wait since a newer version will come out soon. The SA told me that it's scheduled to come out early 2014 but I haven't heard of any announcement from BMW yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Since I'm one to always have the newest most recent iPhone, I've just come to accept that I won't be getting any snap in adapters ever. By the time they have the adapter for one phone, I will be on to the next one. Personally I don't really find the need to have anything in the BMW apps. I have all of my music in the iPod section of my iPhone, so bluetooth streaming works just fine. If on a long trip, I suppose it's nicer to plug it into the car so you can get a few more functions and charge the phone. But that's sufficient for me.

In a perfect world there would just be a little shelf with a USB port under the armrest and I would be able to plug my phone in there instead of in front of the shifter, and that would give all of the BMW app functions. I don't know why BMW feels the need to have these specialized plug in adapters. Nobody I know carries their iPhone without some sort of protective case anyway, so it's more of an inconvenience than a convenience.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

First I bought the adapter as well but because BMW told me over phone the media snap in adapter could do all for the S5, when I bought the damn thing same info. So I went to buy a iPhone S5 instead of a Samsung Galaxy 4 mini.

After the snap in didn't work (just charging, yeah, 185 euro for a mobile phone charger/holder) I returned the thing.

This holder and charger cable does the trick for me.
I guess snap in adapter for iphone 5S (5?) won't come out. Maybe as already sated when most people have a newer iPhone or Galaxy and/or even sold there Beemer.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I'm starting to re-think waiting on the bmw snap-in at it's crazy high cost, and looking at alternatives. A friend of mine turned me on to the ProClipUSA mounts:

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...th-a-case.cmsv

Now just trying to find the right mount. My only requirements for that are that 1 - No drilling. 2 - No vent clips.

I like how the cable is there semi-permanently. Just drop phone in & go.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M, 2011 328i Cab,

I have tried to find a phone mount that I could attach to the passenger side cup holder to no avail. If anyone has found something that could be used to hold their phone in this, I'd be most interested in hearing about it...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y View Post
So I'm starting to re-think waiting on the bmw snap-in at it's crazy high cost, and looking at alternatives. A friend of mine turned me on to the ProClipUSA mounts:

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...th-a-case.cmsv

Now just trying to find the right mount. My only requirements for that are that 1 - No drilling. 2 - No vent clips.

I like how the cable is there semi-permanently. Just drop phone in & go.
ProClip mounts are fantastic. I have them in both of my VWs--they are very sturdy, custom fit to your car AND device, and articulate in all directions so you can get your phone at that exact angle you want it. Outside of their very high cost, they are perfect.

However, they only have two mounting positions for the x1, both of which seem problematic to me.

The one on the driver side A pillar would be impractical because a) no matter how you route your data/power cable to the phone from the usb/power port, it's gonna suck, and b) if you are right-handed, it would be awkward to actually use the touch screen.

The one that goes over the vent area on the center console is what I use in my current cars, and the location is perfect for easy use, proximity to power port, and good placement for preserving more vital peripheral vision while driving. However, on the x1, it seems like there would be no way to use it without the phone obstructing your view of the nav screen. This is likely true for an iPhone and almost certainly true if you use one of the much larger android phones. Keep in mind that ProClip mounts have a 'bottom' that the phone rests in so there is no way to move the phone down vertically, and they also end up elevating the phone 3-4 inches off the face of the dash, so that would result in even more obstruction--as the phone gets closer to your eye, it blocks out more of what is behind it.

Of course, until someone actually installs one, we won't really know how impractical (or useful) it is. I don't have my x1 yet, so I can't hold my old one up and eyeball it, sadly.

Thanks to Beemerx1 above, I ordered and just received the Kenu AirFrame vent mount, and it actually is really nice. Very sturdy for what it is, and looking at the vents in the x1, I believe it will be a great fit. It might not be as useful as a ProClip can be (with the vent mount, the phone will be farther away from my eye, and not tilted or angled ideally for me as the driver), but i believe it's the best possible given the constraints of the x1, and should be able to fit completely below the nav screen.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
John Richard
Rep
Drives: 2014 White, X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyguy View Post
I have tried to find a phone mount that I could attach to the passenger side cup holder to no avail. If anyone has found something that could be used to hold their phone in this, I'd be most interested in hearing about it...
There was a post in the Mini forum a couple years ago the suggested this mount from MOUNTEC. It uses the CD slot and is very stable with no vibration. The cord is a Belkin and is available from Amazon. A very clean installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #13
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Charging cable is about the same.
Benefit is, not only is it curling (like a pigs tail) but lso it is a black iphone cable. Something iphone doesn't has, lol.

Will make a photo with my tablet so you could see how the iphone is mounted in the X1.

Very funny (well irritating) that we need any of the solution here shared.
I do understand BMW, it is Mac for a great part that isn't releasing the pin outs etc. Then again, sue there asses.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #14
RouterGuy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Coupe

I have a 2015 X1 with the Connect snap-in (84-21-2-351-308). Audio and apps work perfectly with the iPhone 5S.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Shredjim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x28 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
ProClip mounts are fantastic. I have them in both of my VWs--they are very sturdy, custom fit to your car AND device, and articulate in all directions so you can get your phone at that exact angle you want it. Outside of their very high cost, they are perfect.

However, they only have two mounting positions for the x1, both of which seem problematic to me.

The one on the driver side A pillar would be impractical because a) no matter how you route your data/power cable to the phone from the usb/power port, it's gonna suck, and b) if you are right-handed, it would be awkward to actually use the touch screen.

The one that goes over the vent area on the center console is what I use in my current cars, and the location is perfect for easy use, proximity to power port, and good placement for preserving more vital peripheral vision while driving. However, on the x1, it seems like there would be no way to use it without the phone obstructing your view of the nav screen. This is likely true for an iPhone and almost certainly true if you use one of the much larger android phones. Keep in mind that ProClip mounts have a 'bottom' that the phone rests in so there is no way to move the phone down vertically, and they also end up elevating the phone 3-4 inches off the face of the dash, so that would result in even more obstruction--as the phone gets closer to your eye, it blocks out more of what is behind it.

Of course, until someone actually installs one, we won't really know how impractical (or useful) it is. I don't have my x1 yet, so I can't hold my old one up and eyeball it, sadly.

Thanks to Beemerx1 above, I ordered and just received the Kenu AirFrame vent mount, and it actually is really nice. Very sturdy for what it is, and looking at the vents in the x1, I believe it will be a great fit. It might not be as useful as a ProClip can be (with the vent mount, the phone will be farther away from my eye, and not tilted or angled ideally for me as the driver), but i believe it's the best possible given the constraints of the x1, and should be able to fit completely below the nav screen.
Scott - now that you have your X1, would you please give us a review on the Kenu Airframe vent mount? You have an iPhone right?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredjim View Post
Scott - now that you have your X1, would you please give us a review on the Kenu Airframe vent mount? You have an iPhone right?
I do! We have the mount and love it. It's a tight fit on the x1 dash to have a phone mounted and be below the iDrive screen and above the center controls and this mount makes the most of it. Once you get a hang of it, it's pretty easy to place and remove the phone with one hand, and because of it's design, it's easy to move the phone up and down to be right where you want it. The holder is also much deeper than an iPhone is thick, which makes it possible to place it at an angle so it is slightly tilted towards the driver on it's vertical axis.

Once we started using ours, and loving it, I've purchased 4 as gifts, and people love them.

It looks like the next iPhone will have a bigger screen, and possibly come in two larger sizes on release. I'm certain the smaller of the two (4.7") will fit in this mount, but the larger one (5.5") might not. So, if you are planning on upgrading, it might be worth it to find out. The larger of the two will be around the same size as the Galaxy Note 3, so if that fits, then it should fine. (source: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/17/...hone-6-note-3/)

You can see more photos of it here: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987575
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Thought this would be good a place as any to link to my set-up at Amazon:

Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - Black - $25

Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - White - $25

1.5 foot Lightning cable, perfect for car - $14

Dual USB Car Charger, 2.1 Amps for much faster device charging - $20

These have all worked great for me, I especially love having short cable that stays out of the way and the dual USB charger is great for rodtrips when we're trying to keep two iPhones and an iPad charged.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #18
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Has anyone removed the snap-in holder?
It's HUGE, takes up tons of space in the small center console, makes it hard to get to the storage space, and I'm not paying $200 for a snap-in adapter.
      06-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #19
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

Yes, it's not all that difficult Search either this forum or bimmerfest.com.

for example http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...e+phone+cradle
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Just wanted to post a quick update to this topic, Kenu has released a new larger model of their Airframe vent mount called, of course, the Airframe+. It is meant for the big phablets like the Galaxy Note or the newly announced iPhone 6 Plus.

Here is a link to it on Amazon: Kenu Airframe+ Car Mount for Phablets

With a little luck I'll have both the iPhone 6 Plus and one of these mounts in a couple weeks and will post a short review here.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #21
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

ON a related topic; has anybody tried this product?

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Apple-iPho...bmw+ipod+cable
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #22
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

So I got my iPhone 6 Plus today, and I got this (Kenu Airframe+ Car Mount for Phablets) last week, and they work perfectly together. Very snug fit, and there is still space under the nav screen for the phone without interfering too much with the climate controls. I'm very satisfied. Plus, the new, larger Airframe is more black the grey so it blends in much better with the vents when not in use, a definite plus.

Appreciate 0