Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
trek8000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Alpine White

Opinion on BMW brand car care products

Hi, I just picked up my first BMW car .... an X1 35i Alpine White with Black Leather interior. Love it! I want to do much of the detailing myself when the Chicago weather allows it but was wondering what the best brand car car products are for the exterior and leather interior. I see that BMW sells their own brand however there are sooo many other brands that claim to be the best. I just want to stick with a brand that has a good result even if it is the BMW brand. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Hey

I've got a black sapphire X1 with black nevada leather.

I use a Turtle Wax leather cleaner on the inside. It's Ok and quick, but I'll be moving over to MERs cleaner in the future as it has better reviews generally.

There's a host of exterior products you can buy. This is what I use when detailing the X1...

1) Snow foam the car with orginal Snow Foam and add a shot of Autoglym bodywork shampoo
2) Wash with Autoglym shampoo (tbm)
3) Dry with Kent drying towels
4) Clay with Meguiars clay bar using Meguiars NXT quick detailer as a lubricant
5) 1 or 2 coats of Poorboys Black Hole
6) 1 or 2 coats of Poorboys Nattys Wax paste, or Swissol Samurai wax (had this for years)
6a) If I'm pushed for time I just put a coat of Autoglym Super Resin polish on
7) Tyres coated with Autogylm Instant Trye Dressing. I think this is great stuff!
8) All rubber coated with Poorboys Trim Restorer
9) All 'metal silvery' bits cleaned with either Autosol or Autoglym metal polish

The wheels I clean seperatley. Autoglym Custom Wheel Cleaner, dry, and a coat of MER Wicked Wheel Wax.

These are the products that work for me and are affordable. You can spend a fortune on cleaning and get some products that are just rubbish or don't work on there own.

Black Hole (IMHO) only works on well prepared paintwork and without a decent coat of wax on top... it's not worth using. However... it does hide swirls very well.

Good luck with the detailing

J.

Last edited by fdpxfunix; 10-01-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

I think BMW Brand used to be Zymol (but now I don't know who makes it).

I would check out AutoGeek.net; they have a massive selection of quality detailing products. They have guides, starter kits, etc. This would be your best bet. At least, this is where I'll be going to pick up some stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys products. It works well, it's priced right, and they have just about everything you could need. There are good alternatives for sure, but if you're looking for one-stop shopping, CG is a good option. Oh, and the stuff smells fantastic!

https://www.chemicalguys.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

I find the BMW brand stuff quite cheap and very good. I use the wash and wax mostly and wheel spray and interiour silicon based plastics preserver. The leather cleaner/care (all in one bottle) is pretty good too and has UV protection. Doesn't smell fantastic like some leather treatments do but seems to do the job well.
Appreciate 0