01-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Check Your Tires Pressure and Reset TPMS

Just wanted to share my experience.

Usually I rely on the TPMS to tell me if the tires pressure is low. Without any warning I've been driving without worrying. I was heading on a road trip and checked it before I leave and the rear passenger tire was 22 psi, the other passenger 28, fronts were 30. The recommended pressures are 35 front, 38 rear. No low pressure warning ever triggered. Inflated the tires to recommended and after 400 miles I checked again to see rear passenger was about 28 psi?!! Inflated again to see later it dropped. I reset the TPMS to recommended pressures and after that I got low pressure warning every day. It appears I've constantly been driving on low. Decided to tighten the valves with torque wrench set to 35 inch-pound but it keeps rotating since to torque it properly I have to remove the tire from the wheel. After two days no loss of pressure. It appears tightening the valves worked.

My advise is for people with TPMS to check their pressures since BMW do not reset the system from the factory. Meanwhile I will code off the acoustic warning and leave just the icon if appears.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Wow...good thing you caught that. Run-flats or regular tires?

I periodically check w/ a pressure gauge that I keep in the hatch. What annoys me is that, when I brought the X1 in for a 'low mileage' oil change before the end of last year (geez....makes it sound like it was so long ago...) they appear to have 'corrected' the tire pressures. I got a low pressure warning the next day or so and though maybe I had a puncture. When I checked pressures all the way around, all 4 tires were not near where I had them. However, the rear tires were the same pressure and the fronts were the same, al beit different, pressure. Pretty sure the dealership messed with, sorry...correct them. F'in hate that.
      01-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep

Pirelli P7 summer performance. I read somewhere that tightening the valve stems every year is required.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
webspoke
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x35i

The TPMS threw a warning when I had a tire drop down to 20psi because of a slow nail leak. Anything above that it seems to not care. I wish it showed the actual pressures like other makes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspoke View Post
The TPMS threw a warning when I had a tire drop down to 20psi because of a slow nail leak. Anything above that it seems to not care. I wish it showed the actual pressures like other makes.
After you inflate your tires to specified pressure reset TPMS andyou'll get warned after 20% drop.

I believe there's a coding option to show actual pressures on iDrive. Not sure if it's available only on F type cars though.l
Appreciate 0