XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

07-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

DIY: Cabin Filter

This is about the easiest thing you can do for maintenance so there is no reason not to do it yourself.

What you need.
8mm socket/nutset

Your hands
New filter (64 31 9 313 519) or similar, there are a few different brands to choose from

Open your hood and locate and remove 6, 8mm screws:

Different angle:

Now I'm sure you could just remove the top 4 and flop it over, but I wouldn't bet the bottom tabs will last long doing that.

Old vs new.

Remove the old filter, 3 plastic tabs hold it in on the bottom. Flip the filter out from the tab side.

Slide the new filter in top first, be sure it seats firmly against the corner tabs.

All set, now is a good time to clean up the cover and the tray under your car, I'm sure it's filthy. Mine was.

Put your 6 screws back in and bob's your uncle.
Be careful not to drop any screws, there are a lot of places those things can land under the cover that only satan himself will ever find again.

Between this guide and the set of instructions that may or may not come with your filter, there is no excuse not to do this yourself short of free maintenance work at the dealer.

Last edited by kiloTHREE; 07-12-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
outlawdevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

although probably a bit late now, you could buy a roll of activated carbon sheet and tape it over the filter you know like the Tesla. lol. BTW great write ups. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
louisli
Rep
Drives: X1 2011 X25I

good job!
Appreciate 0