XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #23
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Grovsnus is probably referring to the E series 3 series. A e92 xdrive is within 40lbs of the X1, and is the identical speed.

A new 550i is definitely faster than the X1, as is the new 3 and 4 series. The transmission is a huge help as well, being 8 speeds and faster shifting.

One thing I do find interesting though is that my tuned X1 is the fastest AWD N55 in the world, including 3 and 5 series. You heard that right - there is not a single AWD N55 bmw faster, regardless of how they are tuned. I don't really get why this is, my only thought is that the X1 is set up to launch better than the 3 series due to a fluke of weight distribution or suspension for some reason. This really shouldn't be the case and I can find no logical reason why, but I haven't seen any other n55's come close to 11.9 @ 117mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #24
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Grovsnus is probably referring to the E series 3 series. A e92 xdrive is within 40lbs of the X1, and is the identical speed.
First, he said this:

Quote:
Stock, it's likely the second fastest non-M gas-burning beemer on the road.
Which can't, in anyway, be said to be even remotely correct.

Why would he be referring to a model that's a few years old?

And even if he was, equal is not faster. He thought his car weighed less.

And, while an E90 xdrive is certainly close, don't they trap faster stock? With all else being equal, the 335's aero advantage wins out. So, yet again, the X1 is certainly a slower car, even if it's only after 80 or 100.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #25
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post

One thing I do find interesting though is that my tuned X1 is the fastest AWD N55 in the world, including 3 and 5 series. You heard that right - there is not a single AWD N55 bmw faster, regardless of how they are tuned. I don't really get why this is, my only thought is that the X1 is set up to launch better than the 3 series due to a fluke of weight distribution or suspension for some reason. This really shouldn't be the case and I can find no logical reason why, but I haven't seen any other n55's come close to 11.9 @ 117mph.
We thought it was interesting the first 10 times you said it.

But I'll bite, because I think you've over-stated. You mean fastest 1/4 mile you've seen. Not necessarily the "fastest" car.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26730

In that thread, you even admit you think he'll be almost a half second faster than you in the 1/4.

So naturally, you don't think you'd pull him on the highway...so you don't think you have the fastest N55 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
First, he said this:

Which can't, in anyway, be said to be even remotely correct.
I agree with you, as stated above.

Quote:
Why would he be referring to a model that's a few years old?
Because he was talking about his buddy's car he raced. Statistically speaking, there is far higher of a chance it was an e series.

Quote:
And even if he was, equal is not faster. He thought his car weighed less.
The difference between a X1 and a e90 xdrive is infinitesimal - it is small enough that the slightest of differences in tires, traction, etc would make a difference. It is small enough that he could have thought his car was faster in a race even if it is not.

Quote:
And, while an E90 xdrive is certainly close, don't they trap faster stock? With all else being equal, the 335's aero advantage wins out. So, yet again, the X1 is certainly a slower car, even if it's only after 80 or 100.
The x1 is nearly identical to the 335 xdrive in aerodynamics.

BMW X1 drag coefficient: .32
BMW X1 frontal area: 2.34 sq.m

BMW 335i drag coefficient: .30
BMW 335i frontal area: 2.17 sq.m

In other words, the BMW 335i only has 1.8 square feet less frontal area than the X1. Keep in mind this may change for the M-Sport versions, I could not find published specs for the M-Sport kits.

With that info, we can compute lost horsepower at a particular mph.

At 100mph, the X1 has a power loss of 53.7 horsepower. The 335 would have a power loss of 46.7 horsepower.

The upshot? The X1 is aerodynamic enough where the difference between it and the 335i at 100mph is only 7 horsepower. Less than an intake, less than natural variances between engines.

There are undoubtedly stock X1s that are faster than stock e9x xdrive cars at every speed, right from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #27
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
We thought it was interesting the first 10 times you said it.

But I'll bite, because I think you've over-stated. You mean fastest 1/4 mile you've seen. Not necessarily the "fastest" car.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26730

In that thread, you even admit you think he'll be almost a half second faster than you in the 1/4.

So naturally, you don't think you'd pull him on the highway...so you don't think you have the fastest N55 xdrive.
Forgot about him, good find. But the reason I probably forgot about him is because that was curiously his last post on the forums, and as typical with Vargas numbers have not been posted with this car to the best of my knowledge.

Though theoretically, a stage 2 turbo setup would be faster than a stage 1 like I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #28
lenwood
Rep
Drives: 2013 x135i msport

modded

i have an x1 msport with the dinan flash and the alpina trans flash. under heavy acceleration 90% of the power goes to the rear wheels. i"m very happy with my cuv performance thank you very much.
Appreciate 0