Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
hessan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 2.5

Oil change harsh traffic condition interval

Hi there,
I live where everyone is in traffic non stop. The average person puts 7k mikes on their cars per year. Was wondering how fast should oil change intervals be if living in extreme traffic conditions. Oil services here recommend 2500 -3000 miles. Sounds right?? Assuming using quartz LL01 oil
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

The harsh traffic conditions will yield poor fuel mileage. Poor fuel mileage will mean more liters of fuel burned per distance traveled. Oil change interval is determined by liters of fuel burned. That said, your oil change interval will be shorter than others driving in conditions less harsh than yours.
Go with what the computer tells you or do like me and change the oil at what you think the half way point might be. Based on what you've said, the half way point for your X1 should be about 5K miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

I dont live in a severely congested area but I use mine mainly on city driving with stops signs or traffic lights on almost every mile. One day I got a call from my dealer that the car is due of an oil change. I just found out that my car has notified them. it was still at around 7K. The following day, upon turning on the engine, I got the notification.
Appreciate 0