Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Zoogleboogle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240 xDrive (on order)

Gas Mileage over first 1000 miles

After reading tons of negative gas mileage threads, I'm here to try and alleviate the anger a bit!

I will start by saying, I get about 22 mpg on average right now. Thats because I give it a little gusto out of the corners, at lights/stops, etc. If you pop the car into eco pro mode or drive conservatively - it easily gets 30+

I got 33.2 mpg on a 30 mile highway trip down to our corporate building for work last week. Merged onto the highway with Eco Pro, put in cruise at 75, slowed down to 55 for a bit of traffic, and back up to 75 before getting off the exit, about 3 miles of side roads then I was there. 90% highway driving.

People need to remember what kind of engine this car has. If you get the turbo spun up, it'll obviously burn through a lot more fuel. Coast along conservatively and it will get the mileage that it claims to. In fact - I have the xdrive, so 33.2 is above what I was expecting anyway. Especially for a ~3800 lb car.

On times when it would really hit my wallet (Long drives) It gets 30+ mpg.

My commute is 4 miles, it's 2 miles down the road, merge onto the HW for 1 mile, then get off for a mile. That's terrible for gas mileage, but pretty fun

as to make this not boring - heres my baby:

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Pinz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

It's all about how you drive and where you drive. I don't have an X1 or a turbo engine, but mine has a big engine and one conservative, 19 mile commute home I got about 26 mpg. Now that was about 70% highway. Usually it's around 18.5, and if I drive it aggressively it can get as low as 17 or 16.

This is with a NA engine, so with a turbo there would be an even bigger difference between conservative driving and aggressive driving as the engine runs A LOT harder when boost pressure is high. This is why it will use a lot more gas when you give it gas than a non-turbo engine. This is not a bad thing, it's the beauty of turbo that you can use a relatively smaller, fuel efficient engine but get the power that you need when you need it (at the expense of lower mileage).

My Honda gets about 24 mpg when I drive conservatively. When I drive aggressively it doesn't go down that much. Why? Because I don't get that much more performance out of it when I drive aggressively. There's not a whole lot of difference there unlike the BMW. This is another thing that makes BMWs fun to drive, power at your disposal. With great power comes great responsibility though, you can shoot yourself in the foot so to speak unlike the Honda which doesn't have the same power potential and so forces you to be more economical.
      07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
jcx1
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x drive 28i

Well, you've done better than I have--or rather, it sounds like you've done about the same as I have while having more fun. I recently passed 1,000, too. The onboard computer showed 22.6 mpg; measured by the odometer and gallons pumped, I did a bit better, at 23.2 mpg. This is about half interstate highway driving and half mileage-sapping urban/suburban driving. I've kept Eco Pro on most of the time and driven gently. For my next tank, out of curiosity, I'm going to go into Sport mode and let the chips fall where they may.

And if we're doing pictures:

IMG_1604 by joc1787, on Flickr
Appreciate 0