Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

New changes to improve the X1.
Major equipment and other options, competitive price, new design wheels as well as the exterior finish balanced Sparkling Brown.
BMW is definitely brown massifying this for several of their cars X5, 2-Series, 4-Series, but also the manufacturer of cars that opted for this more earthy tones.
I wonder if replacing the rare Marrakesh Brown or continue on sale?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
The BMW X1 is known as a pioneer and global market leader in the premium Sports Activity Vehicle and SUV segment – it is a prime example of sheer driving pleasure, bold design and premium character that is unrivalled in its class. In the spring of 2014, the compact BMW X is raising the standard for this segment even higher with eye-catching exterior accents, a more refined interior ambience and innovative equipment features.
Sure, premium character with those cheap ass plastics. The Audi has a nicer interior, so does the Evoque. And the GLA. And the not premium CX-5
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
There is hardly a difference??
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
Sure, premium character with those cheap ass plastics. The Audi has a nicer interior, so does the Evoque. And the GLA. And the not premium CX-5
I test drove a 2014 Subaru Forester Premium manual yesterday. The MSRP on that car was just below $25k. It had AWD, rear view camera, Bluetooth, power driver seat, cold weather package, auto dimming rear view and side mirrors (no sunroof unfortunately on the manual). The dealer can add aftermarket leather and navigation for less than 2k. The soft-touch plastics on the dash felt nicer than the X1. The car weighs about 3250 lbs. Seriously I was thinking why X1 costs 14k and weighs 500 lbs more than the Subie. Still trying to decide between these two cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #27
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I test drove a 2014 Subaru Forester Premium manual yesterday. The MSRP on that car was just below $25k. It had AWD, rear view camera, Bluetooth, power driver seat, cold weather package, auto dimming rear view and side mirrors (no sunroof unfortunately on the manual). The dealer can add aftermarket leather and navigation for less than 2k. The soft-touch plastics on the dash felt nicer than the X1. The car weighs about 3250 lbs. Seriously I was thinking why X1 costs 14k and weighs 500 lbs more than the Subie. Still trying to decide between these two cars.
My mom has the new 2014 Forester, her's is the Limited with the leather, navigation, etc. I've driven the car quite a few times, and here is how I would compare them:

1) Forester is significantly larger and has much more rear space room and a little bit more trunk room.

2) If you compare a Forester vs. base model X1 (no fancy interior trim that comes with the different packages), the interior design is rather similar. Both have areas of soft touch plastic, both have some hard plastic, and both have silver painted plastic which is supposed to look like aluminum.

3) For the money the Forester has more features for the dollar.

4) The X1 handles much better and is much faster.

So basically it comes down to how much you value performance. The difference in performance is not small. If that is not very important to you, then the Forester is an excellent car. It's comfortable, and performance is decent, but it's not a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
My mom has the new 2014 Forester, her's is the Limited with the leather, navigation, etc. I've driven the car quite a few times, and here is how I would compare them:

1) Forester is significantly larger and has much more rear space room and a little bit more trunk room.

2) If you compare a Forester vs. base model X1 (no fancy interior trim that comes with the different packages), the interior design is rather similar. Both have areas of soft touch plastic, both have some hard plastic, and both have silver painted plastic which is supposed to look like aluminum.

3) For the money the Forester has more features for the dollar.

4) The X1 handles much better and is much faster.

So basically it comes down to how much you value performance. The difference in performance is not small. If that is not very important to you, then the Forester is an excellent car. It's comfortable, and performance is decent, but it's not a BMW.
Thanks for this info. I found it very helpful. The forester is taller (66 in vs 60), I believe you seat a couple of inches higher. The rest is due to higher roof line. Other than that they are about the same width and length (180 vs 176). So practically in terms of parking space requirements with rear view camera standard on Subie I would say they are the same size, unless you get rear view camera on X1.

The power in the manual forester that I drove was adequate (I guess low curb weight and no sunroof helps a lot here). An X1 with AWD and sunroof weighs more than 3800 lbs. The Forester weighs only 3250 lbs. With sunroof and CVT I guess it will feel much slower. I agree that X1 is much faster but for me the performance of Forester manual was OK and the fact that you had to push it adds some fun factor, vs X1 where you have to hold back to avoid tickets and 15 mpg.

I noticed X1 handled better, even with sunroof, but the fun factor of better handling in X1 is partially offset by manual transmission in the Forester, for me at least.

I have not driven an X1 without sunroof, has anyone noticed a difference in handling? I guess the sunroof weighs about 80 lbs, and being that high it should be noticeable even in regular driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #29
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

I have the base x1 28i with no sunroof. I don't feel any difference between the one with and w/o sunroof. an 80 pound sunroof is only half a person... I don't think you can detect that. Like the above said, it boils down to what you want. If you don't value performance and acceleration that much, then go with the subie, plus you get to save a couple grand. But if money was not an issue for me, I'd definitely get the x1.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M, 2011 328i Cab,

love the brown leather…tried to beg and bribe for saddle brown in my mineral grey M-sport but to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I found it very helpful. The forester is taller (66 in vs 60), I believe you seat a couple of inches higher. The rest is due to higher roof line. Other than that they are about the same width and length (180 vs 176). So practically in terms of parking space requirements with rear view camera standard on Subie I would say they are the same size, unless you get rear view camera on X1.

The power in the manual forester that I drove was adequate (I guess low curb weight and no sunroof helps a lot here). An X1 with AWD and sunroof weighs more than 3800 lbs. The Forester weighs only 3250 lbs. With sunroof and CVT I guess it will feel much slower. I agree that X1 is much faster but for me the performance of Forester manual was OK and the fact that you had to push it adds some fun factor, vs X1 where you have to hold back to avoid tickets and 15 mpg.

I noticed X1 handled better, even with sunroof, but the fun factor of better handling in X1 is partially offset by manual transmission in the Forester, for me at least.

I have not driven an X1 without sunroof, has anyone noticed a difference in handling? I guess the sunroof weighs about 80 lbs, and being that high it should be noticeable even in regular driving.
If you find yourself cross-shopping an X1 and a Forester, my recommendation is to spend an hour or two driving each.

If, after doing that, you feel like the Forester is a strong fit for your objectives, buy it. The economics will be much better than with the X1.

If, after doing that, you feel like nothing other than the BMW will speak to your soul, you can buy it without second-guessing.

I just don't find that a feature-to-feature on-paper comparison works in that situation. Both are really good cars with differing appeal.
      12-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #32
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1963 View Post
I have the base x1 28i with no sunroof. I don't feel any difference between the one with and w/o sunroof. an 80 pound sunroof is only half a person... I don't think you can detect that. Like the above said, it boils down to what you want. If you don't value performance and acceleration that much, then go with the subie, plus you get to save a couple grand. But if money was not an issue for me, I'd definitely get the x1.
Well, it is like half a person sitting on roof. The moment at center of gravity of the car should be comparable to at least a full size adult in the car, if not more.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #33
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:

I will say the Forester drives very nicely for what it is. Compared to other Japanese small SUVs like the RAV4 and CRV, the Forester feels very European. Even with the CRT it's not slow. But compared to just about all other small SUVs, the X1 is really fast. The X1 drives more like a sports sedan than an SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #34
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

This might sound very minor and lack of any functionality, but a cluster visor covers with "soft-touch material highlighted by lapfolded seams" does bring the X1 up to par with the expected BMW, Audi and Benz premium elegance. The current rock hard plastic does bring the car interior quality level down a notch.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
If you find yourself cross-shopping an X1 and a Forester, my recommendation is to spend an hour or two driving each.

If, after doing that, you feel like the Forester is a strong fit for your objectives, buy it. The economics will be much better than with the X1.

If, after doing that, you feel like nothing other than the BMW will speak to your soul, you can buy it without second-guessing.

I just don't find that a feature-to-feature on-paper comparison works in that situation. Both are really good cars with differing appeal.
+1

After I totalled my wife's 2010 Subby Forester last spring, we test drove the Rav4, new Subby Forester, MB GLK 350 and X1 as potential replacments.
Nothing came close to the handling and performance of the X1.
She loves her X1.
Only problem is - I'll never get her back into the cheaper cute-utes again.