Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
atmcclain
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Question Ordering X1, undecided on tech package

Hi -

I'm finalizing my X1 order and interested in anyone can convince me one way or another on the tech package.

I'm torn because I've just never been a fan of OEM navigation systems (although I've never used one from BMW before). They appear to be outdated so quickly vs. what I can get from a $120 TomTom, and then you're stuck with it. Obviously it's great to have it built in w/o the wires, but I rarely use Nav and on the longer trips where I do, using an external system is no hassle.

But I know with BMW nav also = iDrive. I've read about it on their site (obviously), but I would love any opinions on if/why iDrive is indispensable or otherwise worth the relatively high price of the package. Would it be silly to order the car without it?

Thanks! - ATM
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
wcinvest
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (awaiting delivery)

iDrive is the only expensive feature I am getting right now on the car unless I change my mind and do something like get the ultimate package.

I do agree with you that a cheap GPS will probably give directions better from a routing perspective then the BMW navigation system and probably be much less expensive to update.

Nevertheless, I decided to go with it since I feel as though it will make other features such as bluetooth/cellphone integration, satellite radio(which is the only other option I'm getting right now), iPod/MP3 navigation etc. so much better. CNET and other websites now pretty much all say that the current iDrive system is one of the best infotainment systems out there even if the navigation itself isn't the best.

In my situation, I figure iDrive cost $2500 after i figure in tax/increased insurance costs and I'll probably get $1000 of that back if I sell the car 5/6 years after it is delivered.

The built in Navigation part of the iDrive system on the big screen is probably only worth $800 to me. The other parts are worth perhaps $1000 to me.

And since I always wanted a system like this, not regretting getting it is worth the other $700

I would check the system out in person or at least look at some youtube videos.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

It really just depends on how much you enjoy technology in the car. Like you, I never needed the NAV very much, and when I did, would just use the cheaper TomTom.

I rarely listen to the radio, don't talk on the phone, and could care less about Facebook and Twitter since I don't have any friends. I don't have iDrive in my 135i and don't miss it - I use my car for driving.

However, my wife likes listening to music (you can download 8GB onto the HD), uses her phone occasionally, and frequently needs directions for travel, so we are getting the tech package in our X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
atmcclain
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
I rarely listen to the radio, don't talk on the phone, and could care less about Facebook and Twitter since I don't have any friends.
Ha! Sounds like me exactly. Maybe we should be friends.

Appreciate the input from both of you!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

I'm in roughly the same boat. I don't need navigation. I rarely drive somewhere I might require it and even then I can actually read a map if I have to, dinosaur that I am.

But I'd like to have a greater sense for how useful having the screen is for music and phone use.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Kind of a mixed bag so far. I've only been in my wife's X1 a handful of times, but it does stream from her phone effortlessly, but doesn't show artwork. Haven't programmed a single thing into the nav yet, and may not for the life of the car. Being able to customize more settings than our non-nav 1er is nice, but certainly not worth the money.

For me, even though we have it on the X, it actually seems like more of a must have on the newer F-series cars and is still something you could easily skip on the older, E-series cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I didn't really want the Nav but I really wanted Park Distance Control and the back up camera so didn't have a choice. I rarely use Nav and have it in my 335 as well. You can get the map updated but there is a charge for the software update.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Jabloomf1230
Rep
Drives: 72 3.0CS, 05 330xi, 13 X1 x28i

The main advantage is the voice control is broader than just your smartphone telephone commands (when it works). I find that the phone-based GPS apps are more flexible than what BMW provides in the built-in NAV units. And then you have to decide if a somewhat flawed system is worth $2,500.

There is a succinct post somewhere in this forum from somebody who said that BMW knows cars, but that when it comes to electronics, they should consult with Samsung or Apple. The guy went on to say that he tried to make a call via the voice control and it changed the temperature on his air conditioner setting.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
jbc77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2013 X1 s28i

I have an X1 on order with nav. My wife has a '12 X3 with nav as well. Yes, its expensive but its far superior to a cheap portable nav. Superior graphics, hi fi sound, split screen with intersection or interchange details, and integrated points of interest and traffic. I really like BMW's nav and would always choose it. Plus with a portable unit you always have to take it down and stow it when parking. Otherwise you are inviting break ins.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
atmcclain
Registered
Rep

Well, ended up deciding that it was worth it after all. And since we wanted the premium package, with tech added on might as well order ultimate and get the whole deal...

So it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcclain View Post
Well, ended up deciding that it was worth it after all. And since we wanted the premium package, with tech added on might as well order ultimate and get the whole deal...

So it goes.
Yup, I too ordered the Ultimate Package, it saves you money.

I can't afford not to get it!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

That is pretty funny. Today I came to the same conclusion and my preferred configuration is the Ultimate package despite not needing lots of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
MSportX1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcclain View Post

So it goes.
Without tech package, the screen becomes a small storage, and the iDrive control becomes a hole to hold coins. They look no good. With tech package, they make the interior look more luxury. Even you do not use the navigator and iDrive, the luxury looking itself is worth $500. The ultimate is a combo package. You get the Drive Assistance package almost for free ($200). The Drive Assistance package is worth $950 as standalone package. So, go to get the ultimate package.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Totally agree with MSportX1, I got the Technology Pkg as part of the Ultimate Pkg mainly so I didn't have to stare at that ugly cubby in the dash, which would have taken place of the nav screen, and also the hole where the iDrive control would be. Never thought I would use it much but now don't know what I'd do without that info screen. Plus, it really classes up the interior.

Last edited by Jim2013X1; 09-14-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
Spanadog
Rep

Took delivery of my new X1 last week and it has not got the navigation/i-drive. I tried to change the spec and order the tech package a few weeks ago but was told that it was not possible as car had gone into production. Obviously I was a wee bit gutted and was kicking myself for not ordering it initially- HOWEVER I am really really pleased now that I hadn't forked out the extra money!! This is due to the fact that I only really wanted it for music/telephone and not really the navigation side. Anyway I think that maybe this new facelift model is slightly different from the older model that I test drove in that it now comes with the ipod interface as standard. I am really impressed with the fact that I can play my ipod through the stereo and that I can also use my phone via the stereo and steering wheel all without paying for any extra technology upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
ykolin
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006 e90

i'm not sure if bmw includes usefull techs in navigation for $2500
personally i was thinking about buying a new iPad with data plan, and for the time i own this car i use my iPad as a navigation, and many more. i can take it with me to the swimming pool and read magazines, or browsing internet, or using it for business, you name it.
since i wanted the xenon lights , i guess i have to add the whole ultimate package instead.
i hate paying for something that is never going to be used.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
TX65
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1 S

Didn't bother with the tech package when I ordered mine. I will put a mount for my IPad in and be good to go.
      09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
I'm in roughly the same boat. I don't need navigation. I rarely drive somewhere I might require it and even then I can actually read a map if I have to, dinosaur that I am.
Welcome to the dino club.
I really dislike most GPS/NAV systems in that they provide a kite-flying-behind-the-car point of view, and you can really only relate to the next turn, not three turns ahead.

I want a MAP view, with North up, with an option for keeping the car centered.
The Garmin devices have a map view, but your car will drive off the map, and it takes multiple key presses to recenter.

Can BMWs map system do a proper map view, or are you limited to the non-map turn-direction interface?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #19
jwjarrett
Registered
Rep

Just picked up my X1 last week and, after worrying about not buying the technology package during the entire production and delivery period, I'm now happy that I didn't buy it. The reason is that I use my iPhone for almost everything, including music and GPS/navigation, and the X1 stock stereo's iPhone connection allows me to see and pick from all playlist names from iTunes and see all song names on the stereo screen. When I ordered the car, I thought that it would have to play my iTunes music through the Aux input on the stero, but I didn't expect to be able to control my iPhone and see the song/playlist names on the stereo text screen. So, I was very pleasantly surprised when I found that I could see and control my music on the iPhone while driving home from the dealership the first night. In addition, while listening to music this way, my navigation app (Waze) on my iPhone still works through the car speakers and the iPhone turns down the music volume automatically when the navigation messages are spoken. Also, the X1's bluetooth cellphone works flawlessly, and again the iPhone turns off the music when using the phone and then turns it back on again when finished. I'm sure that the X1 technology/ultimate package would have been much better and probably worth the money, but the X1 stereo and my iPhone work well enough as a technology package for my needs.

Last edited by jwjarrett; 10-08-2012 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
If you can afford it I don't know why someone wouldn't include the technology package with their purchase. Integration of directions , real time traffic, Bluetooth phone, rear camera, music, etc......the Japanese definitely have better electronics, but then you wouldn't be driving the ultimate driving machine. BMW Nav isn't bad, just isn't as good as Acura's. Add BMW apps and you can check your Facebook, steam Pandora music, and convert voice messages to text and vice versa.

Comparing One of Apple's apps or Tom Tom to an integrated navigation system is like comparing an AM/FM radio with mono sound to the Premium sound system with Sirius XM- both give you talk radio and music, but the listening experience is totally different. Integrated navigation systems come with updates so you can always expand and improve upon it in the future.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 10-10-2012 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0