XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

11-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

SOLVED: How to use large capacity USB Flash Drive for your audio collection

Hello all,

I always wanted to use a flash drive as my main audio source instead of connecting my iPod or phone on the USB input. I wanted to eliminate any temptations from all kind of curious individuals that peak inside my vehicle, and not worry to connect, disconnect, forget the phone in the car, etc.

These days, you can get USB flash drives no bigger than a thumb that will easily offer you 64Gb or larger capacity, which will allow to take in your vehicle a lot more albums, or maybe even your whole collection.

There were however many complaints from the users that BMW does not accept flash drives (or thumb/stick drives) that are bigger than 32Gb. The explanation is that if you go to a 64GB or a bigger USB stick, then it will likely be formatted as exFAT or NTFS which the car does not currently recognize. Most 64GB sticks cannot be formatted as normal FAT32 because they do not support variable sector/cluster sizes. The FAT32 it is more common for many devices, and our case is no exception.

Windows operating system offers only exFAT or NTFS formats for drives that are bigger than 32Gb.
So I found on internet a software that will allow you to format any drive in a FAT32 format fast and easy. Just download the link and run the software. It is very easy, even for the ones that are not very familiar with a software. Pick the drive, select the format and after you are ready, just copy and paste your songs.

Big thanks to this guy that made it possible, I wish I could offer him a beer!

The sugestive picture attached was taken from BMW website.

I hope it is valuable for you, as it is for me. Happy listening!

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
taxpro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i, 2001 540iA

Garage List
Nice! Tracus, how large of a thumb drive did you format using this tool and found that the entire capacity was usable?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxpro View Post
Nice! Tracus, how large of a thumb drive did you format using this tool and found that the entire capacity was usable?
Thumb drive, 64Gb was the one that gave me trouble and is the biggest one I own so far. There are still few that are coming FAT32 initialy but those are exception. But even with those, if you need to do a format, you will need the tool since the OS will not do it.
I did not buy a 128gb yet but I am planning to do that.
I used the soft though for a few 512Gb desktop SSD and they are working perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 07:21 PM   #4
Packard42
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

128BG FAT32 thumb drive

I have been using a 64GB thumb drive for a while with no problems but my CD collection has grown. This time, I'm using a 128GB thumb drive that is USB 2.0 and it came formatted FAT32. PNY brand. Copying files now. Hope it works.
The 64GB drive is USB 3.0 and has a red tab, so 3.0 does not appear to be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
JPriami
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 28i

Interesting..I just got a 2014 x1 E84. I wasn't able to use the USB for music yet. Didn't know why. I'll have to give FAT32 a try. Thank you.

(Edit)
FYI: I tried a 128Gb format to FAT32. Still no dice for me.

Last edited by JPriami; 04-11-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 04:52 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
Interesting..I just got a 2014 x1 E84. I wasn't able to use the USB for music yet. Didn't know why. I'll have to give FAT32 a try. Thank you.

(Edit)
FYI: I tried a 128Gb format to FAT32. Still no dice for me.
It should work. try a different software or try a different stick
Appreciate 0