Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #1
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Run flats or not?

I have a 35i M-sport that the tires will need to be replaced soon.

Are folks replacing with runflats or are they changing over to regular tires?

Also, what are you running for tires and would you buy them again?

Last edited by healeydays; 09-26-2021 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Following.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #3
Scratchboat
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i

I replaced mine with Michelin Run Flats - Mercedes MOE

I purchased my 2015 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport as an CPO and it was equipped with the factory-fit Pirelli 18" all-season Run Flats. When it was time to replace those I found some 225/45R-18 MICHELIN PRIMACY MXM4 ZP MOE at a very good price at tirerack_com. Paid lest than $140/tire after rebate; they're not that cheap now.

However, these tires provide a more comfortable ride than the Pirellis, and they are quieter, too (not as much "thumping" from road irregularities). I'm happy with them and would buy them again if I can get them at a reasonable price.

PS - It's a bit confusing navigating the Pirelli SSR (Self-Supporting Run-Flat) vs Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure) vs Mercedes MOE terminology, but near as I can figure these specific Michelin tires have comparable distance/speed capabilities after a puncture to the Pirellis, but also pass Mercedes requirements for MOE ride-quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

I'm running a square set up of 18" factory size FALKEN
ZIEX ZE960 A/S. ... great handling, reasonable price, long lasting, over 50k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
05X3lover
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 Dark Gray X1 AWD

Dump the run flats, it will transform your vehicle. Any quality tire will work, doesn't have to be some Z-rated big bucks version. You'll notice a huge difference getting rid of the run flats in any case.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

N o t . . . . . . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 09:05 PM   #7
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

I also have a 2015 35i msport that I bought CPO, and i've always just replaced with the factory run-flats. I see lot's of people talk about how much they suck, but what specifically are the complaints about? I'm MHD stage 2+ with catless DP and Wagner IC, and xHp stage 2, and I've never had any traction issues. Even break boosting off the line they just hook up.
I'm in Minnesota, and even in winter/snow the traction is great. They seem to handle okay, but I guess I haven't compared to anything else. Are the run-flats just noisier, or bumpier? Or not handle as well? I'm honestly asking, not sure what i'm missing out on by sticking with them. I guess they don't seem to last very long, but that's probably more my driving than the tires, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I also have a 2015 35i msport that I bought CPO, and i've always just replaced with the factory run-flats. I see lot's of people talk about how much they suck, but what specifically are the complaints about? I'm MHD stage 2+ with catless DP and Wagner IC, and xHp stage 2, and I've never had any traction issues. Even break boosting off the line they just hook up.
I'm in Minnesota, and even in winter/snow the traction is great. They seem to handle okay, but I guess I haven't compared to anything else. Are the run-flats just noisier, or bumpier? Or not handle as well? I'm honestly asking, not sure what i'm missing out on by sticking with them. I guess they don't seem to last very long, but that's probably more my driving than the tires, lol.
Different strokes for different folks... here in Florida, I run summer tires year round and run flats are noticeably harder and not as grippy as a premium summer tire. BMW equips tires for a wide range of use. My preference is a non run flat with a tire plug sealant kit for an extreme event. We don't offroad the X1. It's mainly comfort and handling for me and more of a selection of tires and sizes
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Scratchboat
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i

As much as I would *like* to ditch the run flat tires, I don't want to live with the risk of being dependent on AAA if/when I get a flat tire while traveling. I experienced a flat tire with a rental car on Maui's "Road to Hana" and that rental had NO spare tire - just an air pump and a can of Fix-a-Flat. I had to stop every 5-10 miles and refill the tire from the air pump - a completely miserable experience. I'd prefer to live with run flats than sign-up for that experience again!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchboat View Post
As much as I would *like* to ditch the run flat tires, I don't want to live with the risk of being dependent on AAA if/when I get a flat tire while traveling. I experienced a flat tire with a rental car on Maui's "Road to Hana" and that rental had NO spare tire - just an air pump and a can of Fix-a-Flat. I had to stop every 5-10 miles and refill the tire from the air pump - a completely miserable experience. I'd prefer to live with run flats than sign-up for that experience again!
You were lucky. I rented a Mustang from Hertz in Arizona a month ago and we got a flat in a real bad part of Phoenix. No spare, no air pump, no can of Fix-a Flat and Hertz saying they'll send a towtruck. 3 hours later a truck shows up, Hertz throws us in a Lyft and takes us to get another car, but all they had was a family van left that day.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Even the run flats are kind of a joke. I got a flat after picking some people up from the airport. Turns out you're not supposed to go more than 30-40 mph with them, and even then don't go more than like 50 miles max. I'm in a metro area, and had to do 35 on the shoulder of freeways to get them home, then by the time I got hone, I didn't have enough miles left in the tire to comfortably get to the stealership, so I still had to call a flatbed and get towed. For a flat tire. I don't understand why they didn't give us a spare. When I bought the car, I just assumed the run-flats were so you could keep driving until a more convenient time to throw on the spare, I didn't realize it didn't actually come with a spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #12
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear about your guys' flat tire stories. No spare tire is such a crappy reason to get stuck somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I gotta say the stock Conti runflats saved our vacation a few years ago. The passenger rear tire got ripped by a piece of road debris causing rapid deflation. We were on the highway heading south. Thank God the RFT allowed us to limp to the nearest tire station (which was closing in 15mins) to have it replaced. We were able to continue on our vacation journey thereafter!
Modern RFTs are better than the early ones in terms of ride quality. I'm not strafing corners with this X1. As a family car RFT is a good trade-off for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #14
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by healeydays View Post

I will keep it simple.

NOT
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #15
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by healeydays View Post

I will keep it simple.

NOT
Agreed. NOT
      10-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #16
jaykaybimmerguy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchboat View Post
Well you can only drive 50 miles on a run flat, so you'd be screwed either way. In my opinion run flats feel much stiffer which is a nice way to go if you like that sort of thing. I swapped my bald Conti's for a brand new set of Yokohama Avid Ascent GT's and they perform very well. Definitely a lot more "bounce per ounce", but they stick to the road in the rain that we see on the West Coast of Canada. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #17
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
Agreed. NOT
NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT

I did not wait for the run flats to be worn down. Sold them to some who wanted them for a lease return.

Michelin Sport Pilots - have an extra wheel which is spare.

Note: even having a spare does not mean if you trash a tire you will get a replacement. Most shops have a limited supply. So while running a spare you might have to wait 2-3 business days for a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #18
davidji
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Even the run flats are kind of a joke. I got a flat after picking some people up from the airport. Turns out you're not supposed to go more than 30-40 mph with them, and even then don't go more than like 50 miles max.
I was told there are run flats rated to 100 miles. Haven't looked.

If you don't have run flats, carry a good plug kit. E.g. Safety Seal. And of course something to inflate a tire.

My last car flat wasn't really pluggable - short sidewall tear. Yeah I hear of people installing several plugs, and If I had that instead of a spare, I would have tried. Doubt it would have worked though.
Appreciate 0