Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Reclaimer
Registered
Rep
Drives: E84 2012

Brand new battery - no crank no start

Hi all,

Went away from BMW for a bit and came back again and bought the same model I had before. Timing chain got done by prev owner (2012 x1 xDrive 28i). 150k kms.

A week ago I had an issue with the FPR and threw a code, so I changed it but for whatever reason I was still getting long cranks and eventually no crank. Lights dancing on the dash, iDrive would go on and off randomly. Battery low warning sign also came up, so I called CAA to get a boost to at least get me to the store. Car struggled a couple of times but fires up. I was getting 4x4, ABS, traction control lights after the jump start.

I drove myself to the store without any event but on the way back and about a minute from home, I got an engine hot warning and low power, but I was able to pull into the driveway, shut off the engine and replaced the battery with the new one. New battery was reading 12.9v and old battery read 11.2v. Now after the install and key insertion, I get light, iDrive starts but a rapid clicking and no cranking. I'm getting the following codes but coulld be related to the failing battery:
- U1177, 321C, 36FD, 3B99, 3792, 377A, 31E9

I'm guessing something is off because of the lack of power, or the jumpstart blew a few fuses, the relay in the glovebox etc. I'll check in the daylight tomorrow but wanted to check if anyone else had similar issues.

Recording of the clicking noise here: https://streamable.com/8lrfzg
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

This is probably too late to help you, but I've seen behavior like this due to a bad ground. Might want to check the ground strap that connects between the driver's side motor mount and the chassis.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

I had a problem with the ground strap and would get intermittent starting issues. Ground cable fell apart when I pulled it out.
Appreciate 0