Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

09-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Turbo noise 23d

Hi there. My 23d has a very disturbing turbo noise between 1600-2500 rpm. When the car was brand new, the sound wasn´t there, now at 7000 km it is really disturbing. Anyone else out there with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Traveller
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d SE

Disturbing noise - 23d

Hello Tompak,

In response to your turbo noise experience, I took delivery of a 23d engined XDrive in July this year.

While driving the car on flat roads at any speed/revs the car/engine is a delight to drive.

However, drive the car up steep terrain (north yorkshire moors in this case)where the engine is working very hard, the experience is somewhat different and disturbing to say the least on each and every occasion.

It would seem that the noise is more resonance than turbo which comes and goes depending on rev range and extent of load on the engine, and once the road flattens out the noise disappears completely again regardless of engine speed.

Prior to purchase I did read a road report on this model / engine that stated that it was gruff when worked hard.

This gruffness was not apparent while driving my dealers demo model prior to purchase though it was all flat road driving with no inclines within a 20 mile radius unfortunately as I would not have placed an order had the gruffness become apparent at that time.

My advice to prospective purchasers of this model would be to test drive thouroughly in very hilly terrain.

I do not think that this experience is unique to my car as other related threads on this subject can be read elsewhere on this forum.
Appreciate 0