Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
constantinos19
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 soon

Some questions

I recently took my X1 and i have some questions....
i noticed that when the doors are open there is no sign or sound about it in the car. Does anyone knows why?
Second: Can i connect my cell phone to the car without bluetooth?(because there is a place in the armrest and i am wondering if it fits only certain phones in it).
Third can i change the commands from the voice so to make calls easier?
Fourth where is the Parking light?
Finally sensors are working by themselves or do i need to push a button so to work?
Thanks! And have a happy new year
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantinos19 View Post
I recently took my X1 and i have some questions....
i noticed that when the doors are open there is no sign or sound about it in the car. Does anyone knows why?
Second: Can i connect my cell phone to the car without bluetooth?(because there is a place in the armrest and i am wondering if it fits only certain phones in it).
Fourth where is the Parking light?
Finally sensors are working by themselves or do i need to push a button so to work?
Thanks! And have a happy new year
Hi Constantinos,

I can answer some of the questions easily, others I will have to check so for the moment here goes:

Do you have option 644 (BT with cradle)? If so you need a plastic cradle for your spesific phone. The phone always connects via BT, the cradle has the power and on some phones a hard wired aerial connection. Other phones use a induction loop for the aerial, both connect using the shark fin on the roof for better gain.

No, not as far as I know. You can pre-record numbers by name though, so you then say something like Dial Name (it asks for a name) you say Home, and it dials your home number. I find this the quickest.

Putting the car into reverse always activated the rear sensos. The car also remembers that it was on and switches it on automatically whan you start the car again. If its in reverse and on it will stay on when moving forward as well up to 10km/hr. If you are only moving forward you have to use the button.

Hope this helps.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Q1, the warning for open doors does not sound unless you start moving the car. This is really stupid from BMW

What do you mean by "where is the Parking light?"
Do you mean where in the headlight the parking lamp is or the control for the parking light?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

I didn't quite understand all of the questions either...

Incidently, the one thing I find annoying is that the back-up alarm does not beep when you engage the reverse.
It did happen a couple times I engaged reverse instead of 1st gear, and it's when the car moved that I noticed.
By the same token, you might be close to an obstacle in front and have to reverse, and realize you have not locked reverse but 1st. Not good.
      01-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
there is no parking light but you have the speakers and depending on which side is approaching, from the right - left or back - front ..sounds from that side!

that whit thw door is the most stupid thing in BMW's

is like a chore to strat and then stop to close the door or the trunk
      01-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
geotah
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Hi to all and Happy New Year.
Konstantinos,
(Fourth where is the Parking light?)
a)If you mean how can you turn on the lights while you lock your car and go home, you can do this by pulling the high beam lever. This will turn car's lights on for the predefined time.
b)If you mean how can you have a side's lights when park on a corner, for example, you can use again the same lever but turn to left/right whichever side you want the lights to be turned on.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
constantinos19
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep

Thanks guys...........you helped me a lot.
By the parking light i mean: if i park at home or in any other place and i want one side of lights to be open for safety so to be noticed by others drivers.

And again you helped me a lot.
I also finds it really stupid for the doors.

Mario486 thanks!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantinos19 View Post
By the parking light i mean: if i park at home or in any other place and i want one side of lights to be open for safety so to be noticed by others drivers.
Oooookay ! You mean you'd like marker lights to stay on when parked... VW-Audi like huh ?
Well, it's usually activated with the turning signal lever (which makes sense since you want to be be able toactivate either L or R markers), so I guess it does not exist on the X1

I'm not a fan of that gizmo anyway... Used to drive a Golf and too often I inadvertently lower the blinker lever while exiting the car.

Hoping this addresses your question...
      01-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
constantinos19
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Oooookay ! You mean you'd like marker lights to stay on when parked... VW-Audi like huh ?
Well, it's usually activated with the turning signal lever (which makes sense since you want to be be able toactivate either L or R markers), so I guess it does not exist on the X1

I'm not a fan of that gizmo anyway... Used to drive a Golf and too often I inadvertently lower the blinker lever while exiting the car.

Hoping this addresses your question...
Yes thats it. Thanks....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

Hoping this addresses your question... ([/QUOTE]

it exists in X1 in mine it works very well, you activated with the turning signal lever left or right (i have xenon lights if that helps) you have to push litlr harder it it works very well,
if i remenber i take a picture today and post it..otherwise tomorow!
      01-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

People should read the car's manual. Once when you get th car and then again about a month later. Just sayin'.
      01-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Come on man,, it's much more fun to ask us EXPERTS !!!
      01-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Come on man,, it's much more fun to ask us EXPERTS !!!
This is a pretty gentile forum. Most other BMW forums have a RTFM icon that is used judiciously.
      01-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

I like the tone of it... I've seen much more stupid questions on other generic forums...

01-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that one. LOL.
      01-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I like the tone of it... I've seen much more stupid questions on other generic forums...

Except that in some instances the manual is pretty bad. Probably the worst is the very thin manual that explains the bluetooth and phone functions. Much easier to ask someone else or better still get somebody to show you.

Here is another challenge. If you have an X1 without the SatNav/I-Drive try to find in the manual where it explains how the parking fan works...go on, try and find it ...Its in there I promise but almost bloody impossible to find or understand. Lucky my dealer showed me. For that matter I suspect many X1 owners don't even know they have this function even after reading the manual from cover to cover.

(PS: If you cannot find it I will give you all a tip later )
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

There is a parking fan ?
      01-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
ognam
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20

According to the manual all X1 have an option in board computer which you can check the oil level, well i can say after an hour of hardly search this fucntionality doesn't exist at least in my car.

I'm also curious about parking fans. Could you explain it better?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Here is another challenge. If you have an X1 without the SatNav/I-Drive try to find in the manual where it explains how the parking fan works...go on, try and find it ...Its in there I promise but almost bloody impossible to find or understand. Lucky my dealer showed me. For that matter I suspect many X1 owners don't even know they have this function even after reading the manual from cover to cover.

(PS: If you cannot find it I will give you all a tip later )
Yeah, I read that they changed the big centre REST button to ALL, but can't remember where it went. I don't have an X1 (yet?) so will wait until all is revealed.

Good contest Mario.

I use the REST functionality in the winter. Can't see the ALL being that useful especially since the two temp knobs are right beside each other and rarely get changed (at least with auto air).
      01-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognam View Post
According to the manual all X1 have an option in board computer which you can check the oil level, well i can say after an hour of hardly search this fucntionality doesn't exist at least in my car.

I'm also curious about parking fans. Could you explain it better?
It's part of the radio controls believe it or not
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #21
constantinos19
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
[QUOTE Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

it exists in X1 in mine it works very well, you activated with the turning signal lever left or right (i have xenon lights if that helps) you have to push litlr harder it it works very well,
if i remenber i take a picture today and post it..otherwise tomorow!
A photo will be very helpfull.
euxaristo kai na se kala
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
It's part of the radio controls believe it or not
can you explain about the parking fan....