XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-21-2024, 02:36 AM   #1
HamboneN55
Rep
Drives: x1 35i

Help Please, N55 Starts but shuts down Immediately....thoughts?

Hey guys! I have a 2013 x1 35i with the n55.
I have already replaced the low pressure fuel pump and fuel pressure sensor.
After doing so the car finally starts but the new problem is that it takes many attempts to get it to run. It starts then shuts down immediately, takes anywhere from 5 to 10 starts to get it to a rough idle but after that it smooths out and runs just fine. If I start it up within 30 mins to a few hours it starts up without much problem but if I wait the next day I have to repeat the whole process like the fuel has drained back down or its starving again.
The check engine light is on and it says "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power" though it doesn't feel like reduced power when I drive.
I have a blue driver code reader but it doesn't seem to be able to get me any codes.
Anyway with my very limited bmw knowledge and research up to this point it seems like it could be the hpfp.....Any thoughts or recommendations on what's wrong or thoughts? Also maybe a affordable code reader so I can figure out the codes on her?
Thanks for reading this and whatever you guys can contribute!

Last edited by HamboneN55; 04-28-2024 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: bad title
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:19 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

That sounds frustrating. I assume you're stock, no mods? The MHD app has pretty good code reading abilities, it's pretty good for monitoring and codes, even if you stay stock.

A lot of times I see people with long cranks end up solving it with a new low pressure fuel pressure regulator (opposite side of the tank as your LPFP). I'd recommend googling long cranking n55, or n55 fuel pressure regulator or similar to see how closely your symptoms match those guys. Let us know how it goes, and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 10:46 PM   #3
HamboneN55
Rep
Drives: x1 35i

Hey wheela!
Yes its completely stock, I ended up getting that part you talked about because it did seem similar to what a few ppl where talking about and got in installed the other day.
Unfortunately I dont think thats the issue as well, I actually thought that would fix it haha.
I have a decent budget to fix this so Its no big deal. Its penies compared to taking it to my local bmw and having them work on it. Plus it gives me something to do.
So the symptoms are still the same and what's been replaced is Low pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel sender/regulator, and the fuel pressure sensor.
If anyone has anything else to add or have any ideas please let me know! Thanks! I'm not giving up till she starts up perfect!

UPDATE: Have been going down a lot of rabbit holes with this one...but what I have found is maybe its the Mass Air Flow Sensor. When I unplug it while the car is running it does nothing(stays running). from what I have herd
is the car should shut down. At least from the video I watched. what do you guys think??? Ill grab some cleaner tomorrow and see if that does the job but if that doesn't work I may have to buy a new one.
Also what's happening to my car is pretty much what's going on with this guys car.

His issue was a loose charge pipe....from what I can tell mine doesn't seem loose. Maybe I can run a smoke test and double check though...

Last edited by HamboneN55; 04-28-2024 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Update on progress
Appreciate 0