12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #45
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
No problem Mario and good luck trying to get a freebie. Also I forgot to mention that if you don't already have them you will need to carry a tool to remove the inner part of the valve and also a compressor or pump.

Picking up my X1 on saturday. The tyres are Michelin Primacy ( summer ones!). Strange choice of tyre for a 4 x 4 car. Any problems and I'll need to consider changing them.
I have given up on the tyre question on the X1. Mine is shod with Pirelli Cinturatos (225/50/17) and is only 2 mnths old. You say yours will have Michelins and another member says his has Dunlops. I don't understand Bmws chopping and changing.

In addition my dealer said my tyres were all season and they have the right symbol for it, yet Pirelli say they are Summer tyres??? Aaaaaargh.......I give up Sod it, I am getting my winter tyres fitted on Saturday
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #46
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thumbs up No regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Sod it, I am getting my winter tyres fitted on Saturday
Good man. You won't ever regret having winter snow tires.
      12-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #47
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Good man. You won't ever regret having winter snow tires.
Heh heh looking forward to it. Been the snowiest winter here so far for many years. 3 feet in the last 2 weeks. BMW are fitting them and storing my summer set for free.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 03:06 AM   #48
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

I confirm.
When I had 2 Winter tires fitted, a snowstorm was building. My 2WD SDrive was fishtailing all over the mechanic's parking lot.

I pulled away one hour later with my 2 Nokian, and it was day and night. Even on the steep hill to my place, I deliberately stopped the car, and it hauled back up again with hardly any wheel spin.

2WD + Winter tires + DTC gets you our of most situations in my opinion, especially in an urban environment.
      12-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #49
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I confirm.
When I had 2 Winter tires fitted, a snowstorm was building. My 2WD SDrive was fishtailing all over the mechanic's parking lot.:
You should always have 4 winters. Two on the front for stopping and steering and two on the back for traction (and to a lesser extent stopping). IMHO.
      12-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #50
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
You should always have 4 winters. Two on the front for stopping and steering and two on the back for traction (and to a lesser extent stopping). IMHO.
You are absolutely right, however I had more trouble moving than stopping when driving on snow/ice !
As the tires are "lost" (the X1 is leased) and unless we take another X1 in January 12, the tires will be useless beyond that. So 2 rear Winter rubbers make for an acceptable compromise!
      12-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #51
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You are absolutely right, however I had more trouble moving than stopping when driving on snow/ice !
As the tires are "lost" (the X1 is leased) and unless we take another X1 in January 12, the tires will be useless beyond that. So 2 rear Winter rubbers make for an acceptable compromise!
You going to get the XDrive on your next lease?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #52
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Quote:
I have given up on the tyre question on the X1. Mine is shod with Pirelli Cinturatos (225/50/17) and is only 2 mnths old. You say yours will have Michelins and another member says his has Dunlops. I don't understand Bmws chopping and changing.

In addition my dealer said my tyres were all season and they have the right symbol for it, yet Pirelli say they are Summer tyres??? Aaaaaargh.......I give up Sod it, I am getting my winter tyres fitted on Saturday
Very odd I have summer conti sport contact 2's 225 50 r17's H rated on my X1. Backs are very quick wearing
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #53
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
You going to get the XDrive on your next lease?
Hi Mario,

No, the tax bracket on 4WD company vehicles here triples the amount you have to pay for a 2WD. Not worth it.

Besides I really like RWD cars... I drove Caprices, CrownVics CVPI and Magnums SSP when I was in Ontario, and never got stuck anywhere.

With only 2 winter tires on a RWD, you just have to be careful when turning sharply on ice or snow, as the car will have a tendency to go straight and oversteer (as if you were driving a FWD) because of the enhanced traction on the rear wheels, which is the opposite of its natural behaviour otherwise (RWDs understeer and thus fishtail).

As BigDave said earlier, ideally you should get 4 Winter tires...

*** By the way, all-season tires should have the mention M+S, as in Mud & Snow"
      12-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #54
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mario,

No, the tax bracket on 4WD company vehicles here triples the amount you have to pay for a 2WD. Not worth it.

Besides I really like RWD cars... I drove Caprices, CrownVics CVPI and Magnums SSP when I was in Ontario, and never got stuck anywhere.

With only 2 winter tires on a RWD, you just have to be careful when turning sharply on ice or snow, as the car will have a tendency to go straight and oversteer (as if you were driving a FWD) because of the enhanced traction on the rear wheels, which is the opposite of its natural behaviour otherwise (RWDs understeer and thus fishtail).

As BigDave said earlier, ideally you should get 4 Winter tires...

*** By the way, all-season tires should have the mention M+S, as in Mud & Snow"
I agree on the RWD, they are a lot more fun to drive. The X1 is the first 4x4 I have actually bought although I have a fair bit of experience driving 4x4s through past work. Its also my first diesel. Saying that the X! is rear wheel biased until you need it. I bought the X1 primarily as a small and safe family load lugger and added the XDrive as we go off the beaten track regularly in the highlands. Must say though that I am chuffed to bits about both (4x4 and diesel) as it just gives me that added confidence in mud/snow on farm tracks. I am really enjoying the car but at the end of the day when I want some fun I take out the wee Mini Cooper. It has a lot less power and is slower than the BMW but boy is it a blast. Everything feels fast
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #55
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Got my Winter Tyres

Had my winter tyres fitted this morning. The only ones that BMW do for the X1 in the UK at the moment are the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. Did a bit of reading about them and they seem OK. Interesting how they work, if you want have a look here Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Anyway, we are forcast heavy snow tonight so I shall have a go

For the record, they are non-RF on steel rims with plastic BMW wheel covers. The covers are not bolted to the rims as I think someone mentioned on here. It looks like they are but you can just pull them off, which I will do to fit chains. On a dry road they are slightly noisier than my Pirellis but the ride is slightly softer as can be expected.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #56
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

You bought your Winter tires from BMW ?
      12-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #57
matthewuk
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive20d

Quote:
Had my winter tyres fitted this morning. The only ones that BMW do for the X1 in the UK at the moment are the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. Did a bit of reading about them and they seem OK. Interesting how they work, if you want have a look here Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Anyway, we are forcast heavy snow tonight so I shall have a go

For the record, they are non-RF on steel rims with plastic BMW wheel covers. The covers are not bolted to the rims as I think someone mentioned on here. It looks like they are but you can just pull them off, which I will do to fit chains. On a dry road they are slightly noisier than my Pirellis but the ride is slightly softer as can be expected.
My bad - I thought they were bolted on...sorry.

This review was enough to persuade me the tyres are a very decent option. Yes a bit more expensive getting them from BMW but they swap them twice a year (and valet your car each time!) and store your unused wheels.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...2/verdict.html

Did you get the goodie bag with the torch as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #58
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Matthew, could you elaborate on "a bit more expensive" please ?
      12-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #59
matthewuk
Rep

Quote:
Matthew, could you elaborate on "a bit more expensive" please ?
BMW charge £840 but that includes steel wheels, trims and all the wheel swap service.

Currently cheapest on the internet (for the same size) I can find is £231 each. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...110&sowigan=Wi

So BMW are cheaper!

Proper price is probably more like £150 each. So a £240 premium gets the steel wheels, trim and all the BMW service elements. Each change takes '1 or 2' hours according to the service manager (I think they need to balance them and, of course, check them in and out of storage - it's certainly a little more involved than just swapping wheels) so I feel far from ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #60
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

I paid 260€ for 2 Nokian WR32, so it would have come to 520 for 4. 25€ for the swap... 550€ roughly (without steel rims).

Well, you didn't do too bad indeed.
      12-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #61
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
BMW charge £840 but that includes steel wheels, trims and all the wheel swap service.

Currently cheapest on the internet (for the same size) I can find is £231 each. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...110&sowigan=Wi

So BMW are cheaper!

Proper price is probably more like £150 each. So a £240 premium gets the steel wheels, trim and all the BMW service elements. Each change takes '1 or 2' hours according to the service manager (I think they need to balance them and, of course, check them in and out of storage - it's certainly a little more involved than just swapping wheels) so I feel far from ripped off.
Gatekeeper, As Matthew says above it works out to £210 per tyre but that includes rims/trim, 2 free changes/year and storage of the alternate set. Cheapest I could find the same tyres for are £169 per tyre. But then nobody has them in stock after the bad weather we have had. Another thing is that in the UK some insurance companies have problems/issues with after market rims/tyres. Having BMW fit them retains all the warranties/insurance etc. Hope that makes sense?

Matthew, not got the set yet as they are out of stock. Did manage to convince them to give it to me for free so its on order.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #62
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Isn´t it possible for you to buy winter tyres for the Scandinavian market. They are outstanding in every test. The winter tyres you guys use is "continental tyres". Those tyres are a long way from real winter tyres.
Here is some examples of Nordic winter tyres without pikes, have you heard about them???

Continental ContiVikingContact 5
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

What say you???
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #63
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
Isn´t it possible for you to buy winter tyres for the Scandinavian market. They are outstanding in every test. The winter tyres you guys use is "continental tyres". Those tyres are a long way from real winter tyres.
Here is some examples of Nordic winter tyres without pikes, have you heard about them???

Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

What say you???
Hi Tompak, I have done quite a lot of research into winter tyres here in the UK and have not come across any of those that you mention. I think our winters are not severe enough. As far as I can tell the difference between your winter tyres and the "continental" ones are that yours are an even softer compound and designed for very low temps. I don't think your tyres would last very long here with our mix of dry then icy, cold then warm roads. I suppose ours are a balance between the two extremes.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #64
matthewuk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post

Goodyear UltraGrip Ice+
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

What say you???
To be honest, we probably don't need them and I'm not sure how good they would be on a usual winter day in the UK. Our winter is relatively mild and I think regular winter tyres designed to work very well at 7C and lower (common) and well enough in snow and ice (relatively rare) are a very good fit in the UK.

Our winters are probably like your summers on most days!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 04:39 AM   #65
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Mild Winters might be a thing of the past... It's the third consecutive Winter here where there is substantial snow falls and low temperatures (- 19c in DEC 09, and we hit a - 12c last Friday !). I mean,this is the kinda stuff I used to encounter in Eastern Ontario !
      12-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #66
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post
I think regular winter tyres designed to work very well at 7C and lower (common) and well enough in snow and ice (relatively rare) are a very good fit in the UK.
You are correct sir! Regular winter tires have a softer rubber compound as normal rubber gets hard like a hockey puck at low temps = less grip. You can run the winters at higher than 7C, but they would wear a little faster than normal tires.

The trade-offs are the duration of low temps, cost of changing and how badly you need the extra traction and control. Here in Canada I run my snows from Nov to April, so it's worth it.

I had used the Nokian Hakkas a few yers ago on my Miata and it went like a tank through the snow! They are great tires.