XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
jon328i
Wheelmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39, S209, VB-WRX

i like the X3!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Excuse me? I'm not calling anybody "names" as I want, merely expressing my opinion on the London 2012 Olympic Games. I'm glad Vancouver still manage to utilise their stadium but I think an outlay of £9.3bn for some grunting athletes to push themselves in a new UK stadium is absolutely mental, criminal even, when we have so many other serious problems that need addressing such as poverty and homelessness - on which we spend >£20bn already per year. As mentioned by another poster, businesses are going to be hindered through even simple things like traffic on the road! London and the south will be in absolute meltdown. Then the oxbow lake special of pollution and "sustainable ecoism" - smog city!! I could go on!
As I said before. Vancouver had the same critics and opponents before the games took place. Stuff such as spending to be considered lavish, ineffective and money better spent else where. We also had business being completely distrupted (distruption is 50-60 blocks long!) at one of the main Vancouver corridors due to 3+ years of new Skytrain construction prior to the games. Distrupting traffic and parking to these businesses for the entire duration. Downtown Vancouver along with the Ski to Sky highway (the only highway to Whistler) was blocked off to permit holders only during the games!!!

These voices largely went away after the games. Tourism and marketing for the city generated great positive feedback. Bar/pub businesses was largely well compensated for as people flooded downtown despite closure to private vehicles. Public transit usage was up ever since due to the traffic closure and the passenger volume experienced during the games. Even Whistler turned out with profit despite main highway access being largely closed off to anyone but Olympic officials, athletes, anyone who've paid $2k a night for Whistler accomodations or $1k for a ticket to watch some event.

Obviously it's because the rare successful execution (budget, time, logistics, and maybe Gold medal-wise) and the great atmosphere that ended up prevailing by the end of the game. But you never know whether it a general success or failure until it's all over.
      04-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

That yellow paint looks incredible on that 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
Quote:
I'm certainly not in a bubble! Yes, I understand it will be watched by billions but not one person I have spoken to inside the UK gives a flying proverbial! I mean £9.3bn is a ridiculous spend of money in economic climates like this. All for what? So some athletes (whom I do have respect for) push themselves to the limits. Meh, maybe I'm just bitter but it's also asking for a terrorist threat isn't it... I sincerely hope there isn't but it wouldn't surprise me if there was at least a "bomb scare".
Just my opinion though...
Call us names all you want. We said the exact same things before going into the 2010 Winter Olympics that took place in Vancouver. It ended up to be great, and the consensus after the games is that it was money worth spending. The infrastructure built for the games (new Skytrain line, Vancovuer <-> Whistler highway upgrade, Olympic speed skating oval converted multi purpose facility) have all been well used afterwards.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Winter_Olympics
Quote:
A final audit conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers released in December 2010 revealed total operation cost to have been $1.84 billion and came in on budget resulting in neither surplus nor deficit. Construction of venues also came on budget with a total cost of $603 million.[13]

PricewaterhouseCoopers' study estimated a total contribution to the BC economy of $2.5 billion of Gross Domestic Product, and as well created 45,000 jobs and contributed an additional $463 million to the tourism industry while venue construction by VANOC and 3rd parties added $1.22 billion to the economy.

Yes, Canada have hosted epic failed Olympics before (Calgary, Montreal). So it can be good and it can be bad. It's all on the execution.
Funny that you mention Calgary Olympics was a flop.

It was actually rated as one of the best Olympics in years and the facilities are now seeing a decline in usage due to the much newer infrastructure built less than 700 miles away in Vancouver.

Sorry for the tangent!!!!

Back on topic........... Congrats to BMW for stepping up and being such an integral part of an amazing global event such as the Olympics. They should reap some benefits from the added publicity and visibility on their great product (both BMW and MINI)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #27
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

interestingly enough, saw the 1 series ActiveE (complete with body decals) in Manhattan Beach, CA the other night.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #28
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
Quote:
Excuse me? I'm not calling anybody "names" as I want, merely expressing my opinion on the London 2012 Olympic Games. I'm glad Vancouver still manage to utilise their stadium but I think an outlay of £9.3bn for some grunting athletes to push themselves in a new UK stadium is absolutely mental, criminal even, when we have so many other serious problems that need addressing such as poverty and homelessness - on which we spend >£20bn already per year. As mentioned by another poster, businesses are going to be hindered through even simple things like traffic on the road! London and the south will be in absolute meltdown. Then the oxbow lake special of pollution and "sustainable ecoism" - smog city!! I could go on!
As I said before. Vancouver had the same critics and opponents before the games took place. Stuff such as spending to be considered lavish, ineffective and money better spent else where. We also had business being completely distrupted (distruption is 50-60 blocks long!) at one of the main Vancouver corridors due to 3+ years of new Skytrain construction prior to the games. Distrupting traffic and parking to these businesses for the entire duration. Downtown Vancouver along with the Ski to Sky highway (the only highway to Whistler) was blocked off to permit holders only during the games!!!

These voices largely went away after the games. Tourism and marketing for the city generated great positive feedback. Bar/pub businesses was largely well compensated for as people flooded downtown despite closure to private vehicles. Public transit usage was up ever since due to the traffic closure and the passenger volume experienced during the games. Even Whistler turned out with profit despite main highway access being largely closed off to anyone but Olympic officials, athletes, anyone who've paid $2k a night for Whistler accomodations or $1k for a ticket to watch some event.

Obviously it's because the rare successful execution (budget, time, logistics, and maybe Gold medal-wise) and the great atmosphere that ended up prevailing by the end of the game. But you never know whether it a general success or failure until it's all over.
Well, fingers crossed then!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
Funny that you mention Calgary Olympics was a flop.

It was actually rated as one of the best Olympics in years and the facilities are now seeing a decline in usage due to the much newer infrastructure built less than 700 miles away in Vancouver.

Sorry for the tangent!!!!

Back on topic........... Congrats to BMW for stepping up and being such an integral part of an amazing global event such as the Olympics. They should reap some benefits from the added publicity and visibility on their great product (both BMW and MINI)
My bad. I was a toddler in 1988. I read the wiki on it. Seems to be a pretty good Olympic from a financial and operational perspective. 0 Gold medal tho... ouch.

I am sure London would've learned a lot from the totally extravagant Beijing Olympics (who managed to clean the air up before the game... nuts), the reasonably budgeted one in Vancouver with IOC commenting as some of the best atmosphered Olympic game ever (who managed to fill snow back up Cypress mountain despite low snow pack and above 0 temperature). It doesn't have to be a Montreal every time.
      04-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #30
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, fingers crossed then!
Hope you'd end up enjoying the games.
      04-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #31
PJPHughes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

If only we could get the 320d in the US....Efficient Dynamics version or regular....are US BMW drivers really not interested in a 54mpg (US) car? Sign me up today.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
shvydkist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie's BMW View Post
Hey North America / World. Notice the MPGs and use of Diesel Vehicles.

BRING THEM HERE !!!
Yeah I was wondering if these are IMP MPG though. I had a look on the co.uk website and it looks like that's the case, with the 320d ED translating to 57.3 US MPG. ...still a 7 MPG gain on the useless and most likely more polluting Prius.

The funny thing is, according to the co.uk website it's more popular to display COMBINED MPG which is what the 68.9 IMP MPG is. Highway on this car registers a whopping 78.5 IMP MPG translating to 65.3 US MPG.

Now I'm sure the car is sort of slow compared to our 335s, M3s and 550s but as most others have said, sign me the F* up! Think of it this way, if you did less than a thousand miles a month (mostly highway), you'd fill up once a moon cycle.

I guess, for me, today it's bummerpost.com.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPHughes View Post
If only we could get the 320d in the US....Efficient Dynamics version or regular....are US BMW drivers really not interested in a 54mpg (US) car? Sign me up today.
seriously, that would be a great commuter! Bring it!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #34
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

pretty cool. I love the mini

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #35
tastelikechicken
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is

lol BMW Bike
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #36
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Hope you'd end up enjoying the games.
I do too, I hope I'm proven wrong!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #37
MDaniel
Private
Rep
Drives: Opel Signum

2722 vehicles!!!!
I think thats to much cars! After the event, who are going to buy those cars? I don't know but, BMW will have trouble getting rid of all cars. I hope not!
Appreciate 0