Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

X1 xDrive 28i Sprint Booster installation & review

Tools and materials needed:

1 Sprint Booster module interface
T30 Torx screw driver
small and thin flat head screw driver

First disassemble throttle pedal assembly by unscrewing the screw (T30 Torx) in front lower of the pedal hidden by a round plastic cap where you need the small flat head screw driver to take it off to expose the Torx screw. Then you should feel the whole pedal assembly loose and you need to pull the whole thing upwards to come off from the floor. Lay it sideways and you should see a plastic connector all the way on the back and you should pinch both sides (locks) of the connector with your finger and at the same time pull the connector away from the assembly. Never pull the wire!! When it's tough or having a tough time cause connector won't give, try while pressing the locks on both sides with fingers, work the connector slowly around the edge with the flat head screw driver to pull it away from the housing. Took me a couple of tries before it starts pulling away. Once you got the OEM connector disconnected, the Sprint Booster is simply just a plug and play by connecting it in between. Before putting everything back, start up the vehicle and see if the Sprint Booster is working by pressing on the gas pedal with hand and you should be able to feel if it's working. Now connect the switch that came with the module. I chose a location where it's not easily seen by anyone but easy enough for the driver to reach it when it's needed to be changed (see picture below). Now put everything back together and enjoy driving with the very responsive throttle actions!!

Review and comments:
I have been driving the X1 with the Sprint Booster on most of the times on racing mode (red light) and occasionally on highway driving with sport mode (green light) for the last two weeks. I just can't say it more than enough how this simple and small module mod changed the way my X1 drives now. No more throttle lag!!! As soon as you step on the pedal the car takes off, yes no more 1 second delay on the throttle response. Just because of this mod, my X1 feels really like the ultimate driving machine and so much fun to drive now Yes the module cost $300 but it's worth it. In my opinion, this should be the very first thing you should do to your X1 before doing anything else. Yes, your MPG should drop a little (maybe around 2 MPG) but hey, if you can buy a BMW, what is a small drop on MPG in exchange for a much better driving experience. It's a give and take I'm willing to take anytime!!

Last edited by Nova Rounder; 05-12-2015 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Just as an FYI, the stock cable comes out from beneath the carpet. Because the sprint booster adds length from the cable connector to the pedal connector, I think it is better to just tuck the Sprint booster and settings harness under the carpet and have it come out at the top of the carpet (switch cable beneath the carpet). It is easy to pull back the top of the carpet and put it back again. You can then mount the switch where you have it with no wires showing on top of the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Thanks for posting. Is the drop in mpg mainly from more aggressive driving? Or is there something else going on?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
Thanks for posting. Is the drop in mpg mainly from more aggressive driving? Or is there something else going on?
the module making the throttle controller think that every time you step on the gas pedal that you kind of punching it, so yes.... aggressive response of driving
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 04:45 AM   #5
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themishmosh View Post
Just as an FYI, the stock cable comes out from beneath the carpet. Because the sprint booster adds length from the cable connector to the pedal connector, I think it is better to just tuck the Sprint booster and settings harness under the carpet and have it come out at the top of the carpet (switch cable beneath the carpet). It is easy to pull back the top of the carpet and put it back again. You can then mount the switch where you have it with no wires showing on top of the carpet.

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the (hiding wire) tip!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Thanks for the post. Must have option, mpg be damned.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

I have a sprint booster and i love it. i switched it to green and unplugged the wire altogether.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

You guys still liking your Sprint Booster?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
You guys still liking your Sprint Booster?
yep!! the other day I turned off the booster while sitting at the light up front, I was like "no way I'm turning it off again!". Almost all the time mine stays on sport mode (green light)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Anyone have any details on how this works?

If it indeed just alters the output signal from the throttle position (aka an input of 10% throttle now equals 30%)...then how does it eliminate the throttle tip-in delay?

If I floor the car from a standstill, there's still a delay. It's not throttle position dependent.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Anyone have any details on how this works?

If it indeed just alters the output signal from the throttle position (aka an input of 10% throttle now equals 30%)...then how does it eliminate the throttle tip-in delay?

If I floor the car from a standstill, there's still a delay. It's not throttle position dependent.
I think maybe it could be, depending on how the signal works. Even if you floor it, you have to first pass through the initial tip-in point. So it's possible that the first thing that gets sent is a low throttle signal no matter how hard or lightly you step on it. If the booster sends a higher signal right off the bat, which it looks like it does, that could greatly reduce any normal lag. I'm no electrician, though, so this is pretty much just wild speculation on my part.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Yup, much better with than without.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

I just took delivery of one - will give it a run Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Uh, well...followed the instructions very closely...got it installed...started the car...ugh! Check engine light instantly came on, and engine sounded as if it was going to choke-out. Turned it off, then restarted - even worse this time. Quickly turned it off, removed Sprint Booster, and reassembled pedal. Used BMWhat to diagnose - 15 codes! Cleared the codes, rescanned...no codes this time. Took it for a drive and all seemed normal.

Don't think I did anything wrong - connections seemed oriented and seated properly. That's a disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, apparently I botched the installation the first time. The car is supposed to be "sleeping" during the install, but I do recall trying to move the seat back - I must have awakened the car. Anyway, I tried again today, kept keys away, and didn't do anything to awaken the car. All went fine. I took it for for a spin... There's still the familiar delay, waiting for the turbo to spin-up, but once the acceleration begins...whoosh! Both green and red, the little beast accelerates much quicker - with the red...be ready to fly!

One thing I'll have to keep an eye on, I was out for about 20 minutes of jetting around, upon returning home and shutting down, the cooling fan continued to run another 5 minutes or so - it's never continued to run before today - that said, it is a very hot, sticky day here in Maryland.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

I tried to install mine yesterday, and after removing the torx screw, the pedal assembly wouldn't pull up far enough to lay on it's side. I couldn't access the plug, and didn't want to force the pedal assy to lift up. Is there also a retaining tab? I'm very restricted working in small spaces because my upper spine is fused, limiting my movement.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

You have to lift the entire assembly, while in its original orientation, straight upward - there's a bit of a hook/bracket at the top of the assembly, where it kinda interlocks with the car. The carpet and padding are very thick where the cable comes through, but you should be able to work open the slit in the carpet, and pull through enough cable to allow you get the pedal in a position you can work with. You only needs couple of inches. Once you're ready to reassemble, attaché the gizmo to the pedal first (a "duh" moment for me, as I didn't the first time) - since the pedal is now detached, you could do this step anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

Oh, also, the cable is routed through a little channel at the top of the pedal - removing the cable from this channel might give you all the slack you need.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #19
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I'll give it a try this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #20
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Gio View Post
There's still the familiar delay, waiting for the turbo to spin-up, but once the acceleration begins...whoosh! Both green and red, the little beast accelerates much quicker - with the red...be ready to fly!
100% throttle is 100% throttle. Your car is no faster with or without it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not saying that top end speed is any higher, but I am saying I'll get there quicker - whether my mark is 50, 65, or 80 mph, I'm getting there quicker with this gizmo than without it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #22
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I am very sceptical of this device.
Your pedal gives the ECU a signal of pedal position between 0 and 100%
If this device does it better than your pedal, then the sensor in your pedal is broken or not calibrated.
In other words your pedal on its own newer gives 100%
Appreciate 0