Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

2012 Versus 2013

Ok, so I might consider replacing my 2012 with a new 2013 X1.
I want to get rid of my Run Flat Tires, they suck big time from comfort point of view plus one of them decided to have a screw on it, so I have payd today $530 to replace it (one tire!). Second, my 318 wheels are very nice but you must be a gynecologist to be able to wash them inside and the dust drives me nuts. Yes, I know BMW special brush, bla bla, but it takes a lot of time and I still manage to hurt my hands anytime I wash them, and I am a clean freak. So I was looking at the 355 wheels from the X1 M Sport package because they are 5 spoke and very accesible for washing. I know they say that the suspension is tuned fo these tires (I am not really buying that), however, changing 17" RFT with 18 non runflat should be kinda the same from the suspension point of view. So, before I am buying new wheels and spend $3000, I got the ideea of replacing the car. New exterior mirrors are nicer on the 2013 LCI model, however the rear bumper is worse than my 2012 which I found it with a more simpler and beautiful design and with the back up sensors much nicer placed.

Anyway, playing with "Build and price" tool I can see some other differences than my 2012:

1. First of all BMW sucks in Canada, they don't offer the M package for the 28i in Canada like they do in the US. Only on 335. WHY BMW?
I don't want the 335 engine, the 8 speed transmission is in my opinion much much nicer than the 6 speed, plus the gas consumption is almost 2l less/100km. Not to mention we love our 28i and the power is plenty for our needs. This car is excellent if you know how to drive it.

2. Why they don't offer the beige leather in interior with the X Line? If I pick beige interior (which I like) they cancel the X-Line. How dumb is that? I might consider the Oyster interior but the overhead liner is grey? Black in the bottom, oyster in the middle and grey on the top? Three colors? It doesn't really works for me. Actually four, because the wood trim is brown; or in my car right now I have the "Diamond Black" wood trim which is absoluytely fantastic and works great with the black.

3. I looked on the 2013 pictures and I found that the over-head console is different. Where is the passanger airbag and S.O.S. Button on the new 2013? See attached picture.

4. The new 2013 does not have the headlamps washer? Because in the "Build and price" pictures they don't show. On the forum I have seen M package with washers but not on the 28i.

5. The Harman Kardon Hi-Fi sound system with two subwoofers is it standard on the Xline or not? I couldn't figure it out (The X-Line pictures do not show the Harman Kardon badge on the doors speakers).

I am not sure if there are differences between the US X-Line and the canadian one, so if some canadians colleagues will give me their input that will be greatly apreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-22-2013 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

I know, the option limitations are really annoying and pointless. All these things are made on the same production line, so there's no technical reason for the limitations.

I went for the oyster, though I do share your concern about what it will look like with the multiple tones (haven't received it yet). I really would have liked it with the anthracite headliner, like on the M.

Anyway, I think I can answer question 5. The HK audio is available as an option on the 35 but not on the 28. The 28 comes with a basic audio system, & there's a $2,000 package that gives you the "hifi system" (which is a step below HK) along with comfort access and electric seats. I think the main difference between the basic and HiFi audio is that the latter has tweeters in the A pillar.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
luvmyone
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 RWD 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Ok, so I might consider replacing my 2012 with a new 2013 X1.
I want to get rid of my Run Flat Tires, they suck big time from comfort point of view plus one of them decided to have a screw on it, so I have payd today $530 to replace it (one tire!). Second, my 318 wheels are very nice but you must be a gynecologist to be able to wash them inside and the dust drives me nuts. Yes, I know BMW special brush, bla bla, but it takes a lot of time and I still manage to hurt my hands anytime I wash them, and I am a clean freak. So I was looking at the 355 wheels from the X1 M Sport package because they are 5 spoke and very accesible for washing. I know they say that the suspension is tuned fo these tires (I am not really buying that), however, changing 17" RFT with 18 non runflat should be kinda the same from the suspension point of view. So, before I am buying new wheels and spend $3000, I got the ideea of replacing the car. New exterior mirrors are nicer on the 2013 LCI model, however the rear bumper is worse than my 2012 which I found it with a more simpler and beautiful design and with the back up sensors much nicer placed.

Anyway, playing with "Build and price" tool I can see some other differences than my 2012:

1. First of all BMW sucks in Canada, they don't offer the M package for the 28i in Canada like they do in the US. Only on 335. WHY BMW?
I don't want the 335 engine, the 8 speed transmission is in my opinion much much nicer than the 6 speed, plus the gas consumption is almost 2l less/100km. Not to mention we love our 28i and the power is plenty for our needs. This car is excellent if you know how to drive it.

2. Why they don't offer the beige leather in interior with the X Line? If I pick beige interior (which I like) they cancel the X-Line. How dumb is that? I might consider the Oyster interior but the overhead liner is grey? Black in the bottom, oyster in the middle and grey on the top? Three colors? It doesn't really works for me. Actually four, because the wood trim is brown; or in my car right now I have the "Diamond Black" wood trim which is absoluytely fantastic and works great with the black.

3. I looked on the 2013 pictures and I found that the over-head console is different. Where is the passanger airbag and S.O.S. Button on the new 2013? See attached picture.

4. The new 2013 does not have the headlamps washer? Because in the "Build and price" pictures they don't show. On the forum I have seen M package with washers but not on the 28i.

5. The Harman Kardon Hi-Fi sound system with two subwoofers is it standard on the Xline or not? I couldn't figure it out (The X-Line pictures do not show the Harman Kardon badge on the doors speakers).

I am not sure if there are differences between the US X-Line and the canadian one, so if some canadians colleagues will give me their input that will be greatly apreciated. Thank you.
I have a 13 x135 M Sport...
What I know is ...
The 13's don't have the headlight washers because the led bulbs in the new LCI run a lot cooler and don't require them.
As for the HK sound system ..it is an $850 upgrade on all lines.
And my SOS button is still up in the overhead console.
Cheers
      03-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan Turbo, Jet Black

Another 2013 35i M-Sport owner here.

I'd never noticed you couldn't get the 28i with M-Sport here before.
The rest, pretty much as luvmyone......no headlight washers (thankfully), SOS and passenger airbag light still in the overhead console and the HK system was an extra cost option.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
jm6001
Banned
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M

I thought the M Sport wasnt an option in Canada for the 28 too but then I saw a thread with a guy from BC just taking order of a 28 M Sport... I am confused..

EDIT: heres the link to the post

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=28
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6001 View Post
I thought the M Sport wasnt an option in Canada for the 28 too but then I saw a thread with a guy from BC just taking order of a 28 M Sport... I am confused..

EDIT: heres the link to the post

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=28
M-sport is not available on the 2012's, and is only available on the 2013 x35i.
This guys x1 was "special" ordered. He must have paid a hefty price for it!

To the OP, why not talk to a dealer and get a 2014 build sheet. Some option configs are a little different now and you get more options for cheaper.
      03-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
I know, the option limitations are really annoying and pointless. All these things are made on the same production line, so there's no technical reason for the limitations.

I went for the oyster, though I do share your concern about what it will look like with the multiple tones (haven't received it yet). I really would have liked it with the anthracite headliner, like on the M.

Anyway, I think I can answer question 5. The HK audio is available as an option on the 35 but not on the 28. The 28 comes with a basic audio system, & there's a $2,000 package that gives you the "hifi system" (which is a step below HK) along with comfort access and electric seats. I think the main difference between the basic and HiFi audio is that the latter has tweeters in the A pillar.
Please post some pictures when you will receive the car.
I think you are wrong with the Harman-Kardon. they can't offer it just for the 35i model. Mine has the harman kardon top sound system with the 11 speakers and it's a 28i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyone View Post
I have a 13 x135 M Sport...
What I know is ...
The 13's don't have the headlight washers because the led bulbs in the new LCI run a lot cooler and don't require them.
As for the HK sound system ..it is an $850 upgrade on all lines.
And my SOS button is still up in the overhead console.
Cheers
Regarding the headlamps washer, I think you understand wrong, I am refering to the washing system, when you wash the windshield you have some litle nozels that come out and spray the headlamps so you can wash the headlamps too (see my second picture). I like those.

Regarding the Harma Kardon audio system, guys THERE IS NO $850 OPTION UPGRADE ANYWHERE regardless the line you pick. It is a part of Premium Package. Am I looking on the wrong website? www.bmw.ca
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-22-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
jm6001
Banned
Rep

Do the M Sports get the heated steering wheel too? or is it not compatible with the M wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
jm6001
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Please post some pictures when you will receive the car.
I think you are wrong with the Harman-Kardon. they can't offer it just for the 35i model. Mine has the harman kardon top sound system with the 11 speakers and it's a 28i.

regarding the headlamps washer, I think you understand wrong, I am refering to the washing system, when is a you wash the windshield you can wash the headlamps too.

Regarding the Harma Kardon audio system, guys THERE IS NO $850 OPTION UPGRADE ANYWHERE regardless the line you pick. It is a part of Premium Package. Am I looking on the wrong website? www.bmw.ca
I was just on the bmw.ca website there is a $800 add on for the HK, but when you add it, its actually almost 2000 in other crap you have to get with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
M-sport is not available on the 2012's, and is only available on the 2013 x35i.
This guys x1 was "special" ordered. He must have paid a hefty price for it!

To the OP, why not talk to a dealer and get a 2014 build sheet. Some option configs are a little different now and you get more options for cheaper.
But It can be done?
Yeah, good ideea with the 2014, maybe I should wait 3-4 months.

Quote:
Do the M Sports get the heated steering wheel too? or is it not compatible with the M wheel?
No, M gets the heated steering wheel but no heated seats. I get -40 sometimes, I need heated seats.
M package and Sport package are a Non No for me because it has no heated seats, it has limited interior colors and limited exterior colors (I want light interior in leather and Sparkling Bronze Metallic or Cashmere metallic). They offer the interior I want in the 35i model only. WHY BMW? How stupid is that? I don't want the 35, why I can not have an Sport package with beige interior? Isn't the color "too fast"?

Quote:
I was just on the bmw.ca website there is a $800 add on for the HK, but when you add it, its actually almost 2000 in other crap you have to get with it.
I buy my cars fully loaded, I am just asking if the Harman-Kardon is there in the X-Line package because I can't see the HK badge on the A pillar tweeters.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-22-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Regarding the headlamps washer, I think you understand wrong, I am refering to the washing system, when is a you wash the windshield you have some litle nozles that come out and spray the headlamps so you can wash the headlamps too (see my second picture). I like those.
I can't speak for luvmyone, but I knew what you were referring to with the headlight washers, and I don't have them on my '13 M-Sport......don't want them either (they annoyed the crap out of me on my 335), but everyone is different and I'm not sure why they're not there, at least as an option or something.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
jm6001
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But It can be done?
Yeah, good ideea with the 2014, maybe I should wait 3-4 months.

No, M gets the heated steering wheel but no heated seats. I get -40 sometimes, I need heated seats.
M package and Sport package are a Non No for me because it has no heated seats, it has limited interior colors and limited exterior colors (I want light interior in leather and Sparkling Bronze Metallic or Cashmere metallic). They offer the interior I want in the 335i. WHY BMW? How stupid is that? I don't want the 335, why I can not have an Sport package with beige interior? Isn't the color "too fast"

I buy my cars fully loaded, I am just asking if the Harman-Kardon is there in the X-Line package because I can't see the HK badge on the A pillar tweeters.
Wow! No heated seats are a huge negative! I didn't even notice that!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
No, M gets the heated steering wheel but no heated seats.
It's exactly the other way around - you can get heated seats, but not a heated M steering wheel.
I know, I have one.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
It's exactly the other way around - you can get heated seats, but not a heated M steering wheel.
I know, I have one.
Yeah, I believe you, the manager at BMW is a friend of mine so I gave him some homework to do. They have one in showroom now, the problem is I don't think you gona get that anymore. Have a look at the configurator. If you choose Heated Seats they are removing the M Sport Package. Down on the list you will find Heated Steering Wheel. Even when you visualize the interior picture, they are removing the heated seats buttons (see the picture).

Funny thing, they show the 28i transmission shifter on 35 model.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-22-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Like Grovsnus, I have an M-Sport with heated seats.....no heated wheel though. 2013 Canadian model as well (9/2012 build date).

Don't necessarily go by the pictures in the configurator as proof. That picture shows a 35i with the 8 spd shifter and we all know that isn't the case
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineguv View Post
Like Grovsnus, I have an M-Sport with heated seats.....no heated wheel though. 2013 Canadian model as well (9/2012 build date).

Don't necessarily go by the pictures in the configurator as proof. That picture shows a 35i with the 8 spd shifter and we all know that isn't the case
Yeah I saw that, but it can be a 28i M Package interior as well (that they don't offer in Canada); there is no difference in the interior between 28i si 35i when you compare same package.
But look on the build sheet above. You can see that I choose the heated seats and the message of M Package removal is there. Also, lower on the list you can see Heated Steering Wheel.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-22-2013 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
skylineguv
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I would imagine it's because selecting the "heated seat" option deselects the "sport seat" (which are also heated) option and the M-Sport package along with it.

Honestly though, the configurator is an annoying setup at best and I'd rather trust a proper build sheet with all the included option codes listed. Not to say that BMW package/line/option setups are logical, far from it sometimes, but the configurator isn't the best for definitive information that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The configurator is also broke when you select the executive package, (which includes the lights package), and then it still allows you to select the lights package adding a$1000 to your build.
      03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1
The configurator is also broke when you select the executive package, (which includes the lights package), and then it still allows you to select the lights package adding a$1000 to your build.
they won't fix it either even if you tell bmwca what's wrong with the site.

have commented on those surveys that pop out when you clear your browser cache a few times and still the errors persist
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Ok, thank you for your imput egntlemen. I was relying on the "Build & Price" tool, but it seems that this tool it is not a reliable one.

I need to go down and work with their special program to see what can be done and how.
I might just buy the M wheels and maybe shop for a new X1 when the 2014 will show up.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thank you for your imput egntlemen. I was relying on the "Build & Price" tool, but it seems that this tool it is not a reliable one.

I need to go down and work with their special program to see what can be done and how.
I might just buy the M wheels and maybe shop for a new X1 when the 2014 will show up.
Yeah, you seem pretty happy with your car except for your rims. Why not just buy some different rims?
A new X1 will come with RFT's so that won't get you much farther.
      03-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Yeah, you seem pretty happy with your car except for your rims. Why not just buy some different rims?
A new X1 will come with RFT's so that won't get you much farther.
The car is just awesome! No complaints.
Oh well. I was thinking I can get more for it now and replace it sooner.
But maybe I will take your advice and wait and use it. Nothing wrong with it really, and we use it every day.

Thank you
Appreciate 0