BMW Station Install Instructions - English
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I contacted my UK dealer about the station and link. They've no info on it or an ETA on its availability.

In fact... they didn't even offer to find out or put me on a mailing list for future updates.

Typical UK after sales.

J.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

September.

Parts are listed but no order code as yet, will be as soon as the English BMW link software is out.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Coolio. What do we reckon the cost will be to the UK punter?

J.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #27
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

£200 plus £50 for the fascia.

Coding is a whole other guess though, some may charge 30 mins and others 4 hours.

This needs to be sorted by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #28
maxima.lyj
Rep
Drives: Sdrive 1.8i

is anyone have the download link? or is anyone able to upload this app?
it only be able to download it with Germany itune acct.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #29
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Just set up an account on German itunes.
Grab an address from anywhere in germany.

I would just wait, the prices were released yesterday so probably only a week or so away now anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

The manual states that this kit is not suitable for cars with the hands-free option, I have the basic Bluetooth option on my car so does this rule me out then?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, afraid so.

You could still hook it up and use it to charge and hold your iPhone though.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #32
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I found my USB port charges iPod and iPhone, well ok I'll just get a good Tomtom or Garmin then.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #33
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Groupbuy on e90 post, under 300 if we can get 10

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577465
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

To the OP:

A few questions:
  1. Does the steering wheel phone button do anything?
  2. Track FWD/Back Buttons?
  3. Can you exit the app and use other functions like pandora or navigon and have them still play through the car speakers?
  4. Does the audio only go through bluetooth or is it also hardwired?

Last edited by taibanl; 09-01-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #35
ecoveon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3 - G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
To the OP:

A few questions:
  1. Does the steering wheel phone button do anything?
  2. Track FWD/Back Buttons?
  3. Can you exit the app and use other functions like pandora or navigon and have them still play through the car speakers?
  4. Does the audio only go through bluetooth or is it also hardwired?
Ok, if you have the 6NH option - handsfree installed that needs to be disconnected as the BMW Station option is for vehicles without idrive and hands free.

I used the two cables c1 & D1 to pair the Aux and Power (6FL) to the Iphone cradle. As the vehicle also had Bluetooth, I left that as it is.

So essentially my Iphone gets the power from the USB and pushes the Audio through the AUX port but phone calls are still handled the old way through the Bluetooth. This mutes the music and gives priority to the phone call when one is received. (If i am not wrong, Iphone itself has that built in, giving priority to a phone call over the music)

The steering button still controls the audio volume and answer functions. Track forward does not work.

Since I also had SA640 no coding was required.

No app functions works from the steering wheel, its only controlled through the iphone touch screen.

Maybe, I am missing something here. My dealer was of no help as this was their first installation.

Essentially all I was able to do is to mount the Iphone on the dash and hide the cables for the USB+AUX.

Looking back could have just bought the cable and a windscreen mount for 50 bucks and achieved the same thing.

So folks, if anyone has more info please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoveon View Post
Ok, if you have the 6NH option - handsfree installed that needs to be disconnected as the BMW Station option is for vehicles without idrive and hands free.

I used the two cables c1 & D1 to pair the Aux and Power (6FL) to the Iphone cradle. As the vehicle also had Bluetooth, I left that as it is.

So essentially my Iphone gets the power from the USB and pushes the Audio through the AUX port but phone calls are still handled the old way through the Bluetooth. This mutes the music and gives priority to the phone call when one is received. (If i am not wrong, Iphone itself has that built in, giving priority to a phone call over the music)

The steering button still controls the audio volume and answer functions. Track forward does not work.

No app functions works from the steering wheel, its only controlled through the iphone touch screen.

Maybe, I am missing something here. My dealer was of no help as this was their first installation.

Essentially all I was able to do is to mount the Iphone on the dash and hide the cables for the USB+AUX.

Looking back could have just bought the cable and a windscreen mount for 50 bucks and achieved the same thing.

Thanks!...can you use other audio apps with the cradle (skip the BMW Link and just push audio from any app to the cradle?)

Disappointing that the steering wheel controls do not work :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #37
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I would guess that the BMW LINK software would automatically switch the radio to aux, if using other apps you would need to set it to aux manually as you would now using the aux in.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #38
abishek22
Rep
Drives: coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoveon View Post

do you mean its as good as buying an y cable? which i already have?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #39
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

The whole point of this is it is a car kit fro the phone that also allows you to have access to you music and nav, if you have bluetooth and USB then i can't really see the point other than it looks far better than having it stuck to the windscreen with a cheap looking bracket and loads of wires coming out everywhere.

If you don't have bluetooth or usb or even better both, then it is a great option.
If you have one of the above less so, if you have both then it really just charges your phone and gives you a bracket to hold it so you can see your nav.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #40
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I would guess that the BMW LINK software would automatically switch the radio to aux, if using other apps you would need to set it to aux manually as you would now using the aux in.
I doubt it's software base, I suppose it could be, but I think its more likely that when docked the radio switches to aux.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #41
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I would guess it is wired so when a phone call comes in it puts the head unit into PHONE mode, and then you select music it will put it to AUX mode.
The iPhone has the capability to send those signals, and it is only voltage on certain pins so BMW could do this quite easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #42
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I would guess it is wired so when a phone call comes in it puts the head unit into PHONE mode, and then you select music it will put it to AUX mode.
The iPhone has the capability to send those signals, and it is only voltage on certain pins so BMW could do this quite easily.
I don't disagree. I'm disappointed that it doesnt function with things like the steering wheel controls but based on that and what I know about the pairing...

I think the HU remains in AUX mode while the phone is docked. The phone merely outputs the call audio just like other audio to the HU. The microphone routes data via BT to the phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

I thought the major selling point of the Station is that the Connected Apps you install on the iPhone contains BMW's navigation? Or am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You do get nav and all the connected app stuff, but hardly the selling point. You can buy Navigon for less money.
The BMW nav is ¢49 to activate after a 30 day trial.
Appreciate 0