XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray

Thinking my x28i isn't making full power... advice?

Hey all,

Took my Xdrive 28i in to dealer today for its first oil service, a rattling headliner/sunroof, and an ASS reset to last-used-mode. Routine stuff. Got a loaner for the day... nearly exact spec as mine ... an Xdrive 28i with 8K miles. Drove it back home.

Wow.

Nearly everywhere in the powerband, the loaner feels noticeably quicker - at part throttle or WOT. I consider my butt dyno to be fairly well-calibrated, so I'm scratching my head here. I know there can be slight variations from car to car, but the difference seems too extreme. And I'm pretty sure this isn't anything related to the 'ol sluggish throttle/turbo lag issue that's been brought up.

My service advisor said he's keeping it overnight for the ASS and rattle work and would look into my perceived power claim. He mentioned that a tech might run another comparable loaner and my car back-to-back to confirm. "Perhaps it's a programming issue", he says. Dunno, I guess I'll know more tomorrow. I'm almost crossing my fingers I get a "you're right, it's not making full power" diagnosis and then a fix, whatever that might be.

In the meantime, I've done some low-level searches on the matter but nothing related pops up. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on what might cause this? (Other than senility).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ScottE; 10-24-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

One of the reasons after my vehicles are broken in I take them to a dyno and get them tested. Two main reasons, make sure its power is close to its rating, and in case any engine/control work is done on it that they don't mess something up. I've had the latter happen before and it was only the baseline dynos that helped me prove it and make them find and fix what they messed up.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Loaners tend to be driven harder, and not babied. I.e. they can be better broken in for harder driving. Do you regularly let the engine open up to redline?

Also, what do you put in the tank? The engine runs on minimum 87, but 91 is recommended. If you fuel with 87, and the dealer puts 91 or 93 in the tank, that would make a difference.

You also don't say how far yours has gone. If this is a 15,000 miles service (you said first oil change), the air filter might want a change too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
My fuel cap says 89 min, 91 recommended. I've filled with 94 and noticed no difference.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I don't regularly open it open to redline, probably 4-5 times a week for an on ramp or passing maneuver. I do put 91 in the tank, so that should be alright. I'm at 12.5K mi, so I'll ask them about the air filter. Thanks for the suggestion.

I do get the loaner being better-broken-in-thing. Wonder if it feels punchier because the engine/trans cut its teeth that way early on. I babied mine for the first 1K and have been driving moderately ever since. Maybe I'll ask for a reset of the adaptive software and see how it goes.

Waiting for the dealer's diagnosis today...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

You could get a ScanGuage to check for : horsepower, fuel trims, instant mpg, boost, gallons per hour, temp, 0-60 performance, etc.

All that is out of the box for $159-$169.

I got mine from RV World for $138 total.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep

That's a good idea. Didn't know they were that inexpensive. Probably worth my peace of mind and always good to have a new toy.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
You could get a ScanGuage to check for : horsepower, fuel trims, instant mpg, boost, gallons per hour, temp, 0-60 performance, etc.

All that is out of the box for $159-$169.

I got mine from RV World for $138 total.
The way you tout yours really is quite compelling. If you aren't employed by them, perhaps you should send them an email asking for a sponsorship?

I'm thinking about getting one for myself now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
The way you tout yours really is quite compelling. If you aren't employed by them, perhaps you should send them an email asking for a sponsorship?

I'm thinking about getting one for myself now.
Yeah, I'm on my third one which I put in each car, and asked them to email codes for transmission temp.

They sent me another ScanGuage with a code in it for test.

That wasn't the one, but I'm not gonna sweat the trans temp since the 8 speed goes in many other luxury performance cars up to 750hp, so I don't think I can break the trans.

I noticed the water coolant temp is all over the place depending on load or cruise, and will go up to 233 deg f under cruise without AC on.

With AC on it's always 215 deg f cruising.
Appreciate 0