XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Any feedback on non run flats

Thinking about changing the Perrelies P7 that came on my 2014 X1 - 18" wheels with Continental Ecopro Non run flats, there are good reviews on this tire. I would get the spare/donut wheel tire that is available to carry in my X1.

The main reason I want to make this change is I am getting a very harsh ride with the current tires on the 18" wheels. Also it sounds like a nightmare to find a competent tire installer who has the equipment and the expertise to change a run flat.

Has any one changed to Non run flats on their X1 and what is the differences have you experienced:

noise - comfort - less harsh ride, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Haven't done it on the X1, but did on our previous 135i. General summary is:
  • Much smoother, softer ride
  • Quieter in just about every condition
  • Less tramlining
  • Much softer sidewall feel with mushier turn in
  • Exposes just how soft the rebound control is and really makes you want to change spring rates

I was happy with the change and if you're looking for a better ride and aren't concerned with giving up a little bit of feel and sportiness, it will be okay without additional changes. If you want to preserves some of the sportiness, you'll likely want at least new springs, if not new shocks too.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I changed my tires as soon as my RFT caught a nail and the dealer had only one in stock. Also, the previous all season RFT OEM tires which are still on my OEM wheels leave black marks on my garage floors; that doesn't happen with the new non-RFT tires.
I found that (maybe due to the lack of elasticity in certain areas) RFT are more prone to punctures.
I moved from OEM RFT on 17 rims to Non-RFT on 18 M rims (non-staggered) since I do not intend to have summer/winter wheels (I hate having the technicians touching my cars).
I am currently running Continental ExtremeContact DWS and I am very happy with the change. Ride is smoother and I am happy I am not paying $500 anymore for a tire, and since is more popular it means it can be found easier.
I am a Michelin guy but there is no proper all-season tire for this vehicle yet.
That RFT help is bullshit, I live in Canada, if it happens 200 km away (a little mountain trip) I am screwed anyway, I just postpone the agony, running few more km with the RFT that is not available to any other tire shop, it doesn't make sense for them to stock such expensive and rare tire. Even the dealer had only one in stock when I had my problem with the nail and that one was for another client too. No RFT for me, ever.
BMW should start install a spare tire in these "outdoor" vehicles because so far they don't offer any freedom.

Last edited by Teutonic; 11-06-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

My "winter" set has non-RFT Pilot AS. Much better than the RFT summers that were OEM. Never an issue running non-RFTs. I keep a small pump and plugging kit in the boot and drive with complete confidence
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

I'm skeptical that Non-RFT's will make me dislike the suspension...can any of you satisfied non-RFT drivers with the base suspension comment?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
I'm skeptical that Non-RFT's will make me dislike the suspension...can any of you satisfied non-RFT drivers with the base suspension comment?
From the suspension point of view I like mine more. So from 17" RFT to 18" NonRFT I like it more, much more. First thing I noticed is that if I drive over a bump the vehicle is more refined. Those RFT are terrible at absorbing shocks. The comfort definitely improved.

Handling wise is pretty similar, however I found that the NonRFT tires tend to be a little bit softer in the curve but after I got home and compare them I realized that those Continental tires are not very "squarish" on design, they are curving from the middle of the wall towards the rolling surface of the tire which is narrower than the previous RFT and that will compromise a little bit but not much. Next time, I will try something wider and more square but definitely NonRFT.

Last edited by Teutonic; 11-06-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I changed my tires as soon as my RFT caught a nail and the dealer had only one in stock. Also, the previous all season RFT OEM tires which are still on my OEM wheels leave black marks on my garage floors; that doesn't happen with the new non-RFT tires.
I found that (maybe due to the lack of elasticity in certain areas) RFT are more prone to punctures.
I moved from OEM RFT on 17 rims to Non-RFT on 18 M rims (non-staggered) since I do not intend to have summer/winter wheels (I hate having the technicians touching my cars).
I am currently running Continental ExtremeContact DWS and I am very happy with the change. Ride is smoother and I am happy I am not paying $500 anymore for a tire, and since is more popular it means it can be found easier.
I am a Michelin guy but there is no proper all-season tire for this vehicle yet.
That RFT help is bullshit, I live in Canada, if it happens 200 km away (a little mountain trip) I am screwed anyway, I just postpone the agony, running few more km with the RFT that is not available to any other tire shop, it doesn't make sense for them to stock such expensive and rare tire. Even the dealer had only one in stock when I had my problem with the nail and that one was for another client too. No RFT for me, ever.
BMW should start install a spare tire in these "outdoor" vehicles because so far they don't offer any freedom.
RTF pricing are indeed really prohibitive.
Since you got non-RTF, do you have a compact spare tire and a tire jack?
If so how much did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1-2012 View Post
RTF pricing are indeed really prohibitive.
Since you got non-RTF, do you have a compact spare tire and a tire jack?
If so how much did you pay?
I do not have a spare tire and a tire jack. I have a BMW kit with foam for emergency. I bought however a fifth M wheel since my wife scratch one of them on the lip, and I am planning to install a new tire on that one and maybe put it in the trunk as a spare for long trips. The wheel was $600 but I will have it forever and is perfect match. Not very convenient but I have no other choice since BMW thinks that X1 tires are made of Kevlar.
I presume that I can try my jack from my other vehicles and see if it works. I have full BMW roadside assistance anyway, important is to have the spare, a jack can be found.

Anyway, if you think that a RFT will give you some help somewhere in the woods, you are wrong.

there is a donut that is available, I didn't have time to look into it, I must do my homework very well, the donut MUST have the same total diameter with the wheel on your vehicle otherwise you will damage your differential.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Same problem for me. Picked up a mail and more I'm stuck with a $500 bill. Had I had normal tits it would have been a few tire and a $50 plug. The rft are garbage and heavy. Good news is if you bump up an inch in diameter, the handling will feel much like the smaller size with the rft
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Had I had normal tits...
I hate to ask…so I won't
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Same problem for me. Picked up a mail and more I'm stuck with a $500 bill. Had I had normal tits it would have been a few tire and a $50 plug. The rft are garbage and heavy. Good news is if you bump up an inch in diameter, the handling will feel much like the smaller size with the rft
Well, after you're done with checking the mail (and btw your tits are fine, everyone is unique) could you tell me by what witchcraft handling will feel similiar with a bigger non-rft tire?

I would figure more sidewall, and softer sidewall would mean a far more compliant, perhaps a bit overly soft ride
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I hate autocorrect. My tits are very normal, my TIRES however are not normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

I currently have a X3 and find that the non run flats give a better ride. With the new X1 I will be putting on Winter tires that are run flats because that was all that was available when the tires were purchased. When I wear these out I will go with non run flats. I do carry a BMW M series tire repair kit.
Appreciate 0