Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive 18d

X1/ adjusting the hydraulic power steering

Our new X1 was just delivered but we are a little surprised by the heavy steering, we are joking its like driving a 2-ton truck.. but seriously, after a few hours of driving, you can actually feel the strain on your arms.

Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the power steering so that less effort is required to steer?

I dont mind the weight training but my wife is really not keen and we bought this cross-over specifically to avoid the large SUV feeling..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

If it has electric power steering, then a simple programming code can be optained from the dealership to adjust the assisted powering steering. If it has hydraulic power steering, the Servotronic option would have added more assistance to the steering, making it "less heavy" around parking spaces and at low speeds. Unfortunately, you can't add Servotronic post-build since it requires an entirely new steering column.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks for the input.

I believe it has hydraulic steering but cant find anything in the manual.

In any case, Servotronic is only an option for the xDrive models and we have the sDrive (rear wheel drive only) version of the X1.

I am also noting vibration on the steering wheel now that we are travelling out of the city, its as though all the motor vibration is being transmitted to the wheel.. and my wrists. The door, dash, window etc don't vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

You definitely have the hydraulic steering. Here in the US Servotronic is available as an option across both of the N20s and standard on the N55. The off-road/rough road vibration in the steering column is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1blue View Post
thanks for the input.

In any case, Servotronic is only an option for the xDrive models and we have the sDrive (rear wheel drive only) version of the X1.

I am also noting vibration on the steering wheel now that we are travelling out of the city, its as though all the motor vibration is being transmitted to the wheel.. and my wrists. The door, dash, window etc don't vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
You definitely have the hydraulic steering. Here in the US Servotronic is available as an option across both of the N20s and standard on the N55. The off-road/rough road vibration in the steering column is normal.
The vibration is on all roads when you accelerate. The gear stick vibrates on other cars I have driven (VW Golf/ Polo but not the Audi A3) but steering wheel vibration is new.

The X1 leather interior gives a quality impression but the BMW mechanics really let this car down. It really isnt pleasant driving it for more than a couple of hours with so much energy being transmitted to the driver from the motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

I think you need to go back to the dealer and ask them to take a look at your car. If you are not satisfy with their answers ask them to let you drive another X1 diesel to compare.

I don't believe what you described is normal. I have had mine for almost 24 months the car is very good to drive and steering wise almost identical to an E90 - as it well should too.

Don't take it for granted that all wheels are balanced and all alignments are as they should just because your car is new. Mine's rear alignment was out when delivered new and had to be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
I think you need to go back to the dealer and ask them to take a look at your car. If you are not satisfy with their answers ask them to let you drive another X1 diesel to compare.

I don't believe what you described is normal. I have had mine for almost 24 months the car is very good to drive and steering wise almost identical to an E90 - as it well should too.

Don't take it for granted that all wheels are balanced and all alignments are as they should just because your car is new. Mine's rear alignment was out when delivered new and had to be adjusted.
Not sure alignment is an issue. I have noticed that the steering wheel only vibrates when the gearing is engaged. In fact, the peddles vibrate slightly too, something I noticed the other day driving with flipflops.

I left the car in neutral on the motorway the other day and going downhill the steering wheel didn't vibrate (all thought every little bump in the road is bounced up to the driver..)

Do you have a manual or automatic?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
thanks for the input.

If you have xDrive it is hydraulic- if sDrive (rwd) it is electric. The steering should not be that heavy (seriously) you may have an issue with the rack.
      07-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Not sure alignment is an issue. I have noticed that the steering wheel only vibrates when the gearing is engaged. In fact, the peddles vibrate slightly too, something I noticed the other day driving with flipflops.

I left the car in neutral on the motorway the other day and going downhill the steering wheel didn't vibrate (all thought every little bump in the road is bounced up to the driver..)

Do you have a manual or automatic?
Automatic.

I don't think there is electric power steering for X1 until LCI. Mine is a sdrive and it is definitely hydraulic.

Like I said you need to take the car back to the dealer. Something is not right. One of your front wheels could be out of balance (though unlikely given your scenario). Or an issue with one of the engine mounts.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
Automatic.

I don't think there is electric power steering for X1 until LCI. Mine is a sdrive and it is definitely hydraulic.

Like I said you need to take the car back to the dealer. Something is not right. One of your front wheels could be out of balance (though unlikely given your scenario). Or an issue with one of the engine mounts.
The steering is definitely not electric, I recently drove an Audi A1 and the difference very noticeable. The X1 drives more like the our old VW Polo which had a mechanical steering system.

An engine mount issue is something I was reading about earlier. The steering vibration is a problem as you have to hold the wheel..!! But the gear stick also vibrates a lot, more so than our previous car and there is quite a large kick back when the car starts- something that happens a lot driving in the city.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
X1blue
Enlisted Member
Rep

The head mechanic at BMW test drove the car and said the steering cannot be modified, its hard and heavy by design. There is no adjustment as with the more modern electric systems.
Appreciate 0