XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #45
Equal
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 Space Grey XLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by silber1 View Post
My xDrive 25i is from June 2010 and I don't have this problem. (Up to now ;->).
But there is a certain highfrequent whissel when I quickly release the gas pedal.
But it is not a problem.
Gerhard
Mine is the same model as yours, manufactured in April 2010 and has that high pitch whizzing sound at around 140km/h. Scheduled to dealer the coming week, see if they will be able to solve that problem. In case they say they do not recognize the problem, does anyone has the Techinical Service Bulletin ID#?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #46
silber1
Rep
Drives: x1

I am still struggling with the gasoline comsuption, which is over 11,6 l/100km.
In Motor Talk Forum there are some threads dealing this isue.
It seems, that the automatic needs much more than acceration with tempomat.
If you start with good gas up to 35 km and then use the tempomat, you need remarkable less fuel than doing the same without tempomat. The automatic gear seems to have more slip with pedual gas, than with automatic gas.
Gerhard
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #47
pereru
Spanish Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Is the TSB (technical service bulletin) number known for this issue?

I have an appointment to fix the same issue with my car, it would be nice to be able to notify the dealer, so that any parts that might be needed can be ordered.

+1

Any news about this???

Salu2
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #48
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereru View Post
+1

Any news about this???

Salu2
I have the same problem with the whistling noise in my X1 23d that I took delivery of in April this year. I've now done 4000 miles and it is getting a little better, but it's still not right for a vehical of this price.

The car is booked into the dealer that I brought it from next week (wc 18/10/2010) to fix the problem. The dealer has checked with Germany and been told that there is a fix, so fingers crossed next week will see the back of it. If the problem is solve I will leave the details on here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #49
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

The fix is rather simple, they just "glue" the windshield rubber seal on the top... As I suspected the sound is coming from the rubber vibrating at highspeed. It's quite an easy fix, though I sure would like to understand how BMW let this kind of crude flaw come out the assembly line... :/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
Diesel-King
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
The fix is rather simple, they just "glue" the windshield rubber seal on the top... As I suspected the sound is coming from the rubber vibrating at highspeed. It's quite an easy fix, though I sure would like to understand how BMW let this kind of crude flaw come out the assembly line... :/
Hi Niknik,

Do you mean that the fix is just to put some black silicone on the upper edges of the rubber that is against the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #51
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-King View Post
Hi Niknik,

Do you mean that the fix is just to put some black silicone on the upper edges of the rubber that is against the windshield?
Yep, seems like it's all they do. They say it takes "1 day" just to let the "glue" attach properly.

I was worried the actual seal might be defective and cause water infiltration in the long run, but they say the seal is perfect and that it's just the "outside" of the rubber that vibrates...
(On the other hand, I have already left the car out for some days under heavy rain and couldn't detect any water leaking in - so I hope it really is like they say.)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #52
cheviot
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 xDrive 18d SE

Whistling Noise

The fix is sticking ten pieces of tape 10mm long between the windscreen top rubber seal and the glass. The fix has been on BMW's data base since June 2010. Or just stick some black electricians tape between the rubber and glass along the top of the wind screen to prove it works. All these fixes on BMW's data base depend on how good the search is to find them, some dealers are better than others.
regards
cheviot
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #53
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Can someone provide a picture of the fix, I'm having a hard time visualising where the tape goes.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:14 AM   #54
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

here's a pic of the fix:

Like it was said, there are about 10 of this "glue points" across the top of the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:17 AM   #55
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
here's a pic of the fix:

Like it was said, there are about 10 of this "glue points" across the top of the windshield.
The craftmanship is horrible! I would not accept this fix at all!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #56
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Well, it's not really noticeable when looking at it at any normal distance... And I rather have it fixed than "reverberating" every single day.
But I guess you can just trim away any visible part of the "glue" if that annoys you (or ask them to do it right - truth be told I just noticed it a couple of days later when looking closely to see what the fix was; after checking it had really fixed the noise issue.)

But I can bug them next time I have to take my car to service...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #57
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

I had my windshield replaced -for the 3rd time- because it was broken, and the whistle noise is back. Ironically, the windshield got broken again 4 days after I have it changed. Also when they "repaired" the rubber band that niknik showed loosened all the way up to the corners after cruising at 180-200 km/h for half an hour. I hate my windshield!!

Last edited by mozdal; 10-19-2010 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #58
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

That's what frightens me the most. That this issue might be a lot more serious, and give extra problems in the future.
From what I could understand at the dealer, when I first complained, they did act like if some models had the windshield completely "lose" and that could crack at any road bump.

If it really is just a rubber band, I think I'm safe... but hearing your case it really doesn't inspire that much confidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #59
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
That's what frightens me the most. That this issue might be a lot more serious, and give extra problems in the future.
From what I could understand at the dealer, when I first complained, they did act like if some models had the windshield completely "lose" and that could crack at any road bump.

If it really is just a rubber band, I think I'm safe... but hearing your case it really doesn't inspire that much confidence.
I think it is not only the rubber band. When they ripped apart the windshield for the last time I saw additional foam bands at the bottom side. As far as I remember the technician also mentioned about those bands. Additionally, I can say that the windshield glass is the weakest glass I have ever seen. A small rock was enough to crack it in both cases.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #60
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
Just got mine back from having the 'fix' carried out. You can feel where the adhesive strips are if you run your finger along the rubber windscreen surround, but not see them. In one area, the centre of the windscreen where it's difficult to reach, there was a little adhesive sqeezed out but this was easy to remove.

I tested the fix on a stretch of road where I knew that I could replicate the problem and it does appear to be fixed...fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #61
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
I've had time to think about this 'fix' and my personal conclusion is that it's unacceptable.

Why? wells it's clear that this is just a 'fix' (could it be called a bodge?) and it does not solve the real problem which is bad design, and/or poor quality materials used in the windscreen surround. Because the 10mm tape patches are spread at intervals along the top of the windscreen the rubber will now not sit totaly flat against the bodywork of the roof panel. As water can find itself through the smallest of openings will this now mean that water will get trapped between the rubber and panel eventualy leading to rust?

The solution? BMW have admitted the design fault by authorising the 'fix'. The windscreen rubber surround should be re designed/manufactured and correctly fitted to cars affected.

I make no apologies for the above as BMW is a premium brand and should not accept sub standard components/fixes.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #62
Diesel-King
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
I've had time to think about this 'fix' and my personal conclusion is that it's unacceptable.

Why? wells it's clear that this is just a 'fix' (could it be called a bodge?) and it does not solve the real problem which is bad design, and/or poor quality materials used in the windscreen surround. Because the 10mm tape patches are spread at intervals along the top of the windscreen the rubber will now not sit totaly flat against the bodywork of the roof panel. As water can find itself through the smallest of openings will this now mean that water will get trapped between the rubber and panel eventualy leading to rust?

The solution? BMW have admitted the design fault by authorising the 'fix'. The windscreen rubber surround should be re designed/manufactured and correctly fitted to cars affected.

I make no apologies for the above as BMW is a premium brand and should not accept sub standard components/fixes.
I agree with Mulberry, this solution is a "chapuza", as we say here in Spain for a fix that is not done properly...

I'm thinking of doing this myself, rather than letting the car be at the BMW dealer and risk being without it for several days...

I will buy some black silicone and seal the rubber stripe around the winshield with it....What do you say about this DIY fix???
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #63
pereru
Spanish Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post

I´m totally agree with you.

WE NEED A SERIOUS SOLUTION!!!!!

Salu2
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #64
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Talked to my service advisor about the issue since I'll have my windshield changed outside the dealer and according to him changing the windshield after the recall does not make the problem start again.

My windshield will be in stock in a week, I'll tell if the problem rises again or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #65
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Anyone know the TSB # for this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Is the TSB (technical service bulletin) number known for this issue?

I have an appointment to fix the same issue with my car, it would be nice to be able to notify the dealer, so that any parts that might be needed can be ordered.
It would be very helpful if someone could provide the TSB number or even a link to the description of the problem in BMW's database (not sure if this is possible)

It will save a lot of time helping the dealer diagnose the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #66
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Gentlemen,

I finally got the TSB for the fix. Unfortunately, I can't upload the document to the internet but I'll write here in detail.

-Action No: 200915
-Fix No: 0051610200 ( Also says special breakdown number)

-Topic: Windshield rubber band may tear apart while using pressurized car washing equipment or when driven at fast speeds.(which was my case)

-Impact: Torn apart rubber band will cause rattling sound while driving. Rubber band may tear apart side to side in some cases.(happened to me)

-Precaution: Windshield rubber band must be repaired.

-Procedure: 6 spacers must be attached to edge side behind the rubber band. That fills the space between rubber band and the sheet iron.

-Positioning of the spacers: First pair of spacers must be aligned 6 cm further from each edge. Remaining 4 must be aligned with same distance, between other two.

-Spacers must be attached with a proper tool.(Small lever)

-Be careful not to attach the spacers above where the curve of the edge starts.

-After all 6 spacers are attached be careful there is no spaces or curves on the edge rubber of the rubber band.

-Part Number of the spacers: 07147167864 (Self Adhesive Spacers) Quantity: 6

I also have a hard copy of the document, but its written in Turkish. What I realized is that the descriptive photos are from the production line and only difference between our faulty cars and the others is that they attach the spacer at the factory.

That was the exact translation of the document, step by step.

I can scan and PM the document to those who want to see the pictures, but they have to promise me not the share the document on internet, or I have the risk that my advisor won't give me any info again in the future

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0