Plasti-dipped my wheels

So i got bored today and dipped my wheels, tell me what you think
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:22 AM   #2
fredrik_wt
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d M

Looks great! Is there a filter at the pic? Is some kind of bronze color?
I Will maybe try to paint My 18" M at My withe X1 M in red. Thats an advantage of plasti dip, you can East change Your mind
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

how long do you think that will last on there? is it durable to with stand the daily driving, and will it wash off when you clean your wheels? i heard of powder coating wheels but not plastic dipping. let us know how it works out. btw what wheels are on your ride, they look nice
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
fredrik_wt
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d M

Check youtube and other forum, plasti dip rims is not unusuall
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Dirtyduc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta D
how long do you think that will last on there? is it durable to with stand the daily driving, and will it wash off when you clean your wheels? i heard of powder coating wheels but not plastic dipping. let us know how it works out. btw what wheels are on your ride, they look nice
They are 19" mrr gt-7. The color was copper. This stuff is very durable! I am going to do my whole car in the next month or two
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i ///M-Sport

Could you post some better/close up pics? I really like the color! Just wanna see the finish on it
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Sackman1886
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive 28i

Did you spray them on the car? Or did you jack it up and remove the wheels to spray? How long is the dry time. You're supposed to wait about 2 weeks before you wash them, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Looks great!

A LOT of the off-road community (trucks, SUVs, etc.) plasti-dip their wheels. Helps against rock chips and looks pretty damn good if done right (and it's easier on the wallet than powdercoating).

I've plasti-dipped the front grill and a few other parts on my truck, and my recommendation would be to lay down 1 nice and easy coat, followed by two medium-heavy coats. Give it about 30 minutes to dry between coats. The key is to lay down even coats across the entire area. Keep your hands moving when spraying. Best part is, if you don't like it, you can just peel it right off and either try again, or toss it.

That being said, plasti-dip WILL peel over time, quicker if you live where there is a lot of road salt being put down, or where there are a lot of rocks on the road. For wheels, I would advise taking the wheels off first, plasti-dipping them, then putting them back on. Be careful when putting them back on, the plasti-dip will peel if you rub it against the lugs!

I hate it when people say, "you drive a BMW, can't you just pay to have your wheels powdercoated?" As I stated above, you can peel plasti-dip off if you don't like it, whereas you can't with powdercoating. If done properly and carefully, plasti-dip can look really cool and actually offers a useful feature, like protection for the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Dirtyduc
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I took the wheels off. Like squishy said I waited about 30 minutes between coats. I love this stuff! And lets me modifying my car without commitment. I've done my emblems as well. I got my car and lowered the same day. I'm curious to how the wheels are going to hold out when they aligned it. Not sure if I'm going to wait two weeks to wash it. If he gets screwed up I can always spray them again :-)
Appreciate 0