XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
dylzsrt
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1

Picking up new X1 tomorrow...concerned about run flat tires

Hi guys,

I finalized the deal on a 2012 space gray x1,xdrive28i today. It has the sport package, premium package and lighting package. Was pretty excited about it until I started reading about the horrible ride that run flats give. I didn't even notice what brand of tire it is...are they goodyears? Has anyone swapped these out at time of purchase for something else? If so, what were your choices and what is the stock sizing. I'm thinking about trying to do a deal on a tire swap out before picking it up. Any thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
dylzsrt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylzsrt View Post
Hi guys,

I finalized the deal on a 2012 space gray x1,xdrive28i today. It has the sport package, premium package and lighting package. Was pretty excited about it until I started reading about the horrible ride that run flats give. I didn't even notice what brand of tire it is...are they goodyears? Has anyone swapped these out at time of purchase for something else? If so, what were your choices and what is the stock sizing. I'm thinking about trying to do a deal on a tire swap out before picking it up. Any thoughts??
I did do a search and found some stuff on the run flats, but still not sure if it would be an option to swap these out at purchase or not. hmmmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

Dont change them, run flats rule.

I live in Mexico, got X1 with RF for almost 8 months now, roads have plenty holes to ruin my tires, fell in a couple of them already, and not a single problem. I only once got a nail and I was so thankful I had RF that I could drive 5 km to the nearest gas fix them without getting towed.

Yes they are expensive to change, but you are not buying a hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

I don't find the ride too hard at all - even on 18" rims.

Had a nail too ... the TPMS let me know straight away there was a reduction in pressure so I was able to get the tyre repaired without incurring any further damage.

I too was a little nervous about runflats, but I don't have any problems with them at all now. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure your tyre dealer has your brand and size in stock, or can obtain them quickly, just in case you need a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
dylzsrt
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I'll just run them for now and see what i think before getting too excited about it.I guess it's like anything else, there is good and bad involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe I'll just run them for now and see what i think before getting too excited about it.I guess it's like anything else, there is good and bad involved.
They ride fine. Nothing to worry about.
      10-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
X1 white pearl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28I xdrive 2012

Quote:
Hi guys,

They are good tyres, i have no complaints at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
jackinbc
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Also consider that the X1 has no spare and no jack - those items will be required of you switch to non-run flats. And, you are buying a BMW for its handling not a cushy ride (for that get a Buick).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Hi guys,

This is the 4th or 5th generation of RF and they are much improved. I find the perfectly OK. Add the sport suspension and things then get a bit hard for me.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
This is the 4th or 5th generation of RF and they are much improved. I find the perfectly OK. Add the sport suspension and things then get a bit hard for me.
Sports suspension, sports seats, 18" alloys and run flats, and no problems at all............great handling.

Perhaps if you were going to take the car off road on a regular basis a different set up would be better, but for road use the current set up is fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

I do not believe the current generation of RunFlat mirrors the complaints of old generation of run flats. I have no complaints. Anyhow you'll end up with GoodYears or Pirelli's. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what you'll end up with.

In the end, you have no spare anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredRacing View Post
I do not believe the current generation of RunFlat mirrors the complaints of old generation of run flats. I have no complaints. Anyhow you'll end up with GoodYears or Pirelli's. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what you'll end up with.

In the end, you have no spare anyhow.
You might like to look at this company. BMW alloys plus tyres, and BMW get you home kits etc

You can also see what each wheel will look like on your car. I should mention that I have no involvement with the company, but liked their web site: http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I have the 320 18" wheels with Pirelli RF's and sports suspension. The ride on bad UK roads is a bit bone shaking, but the rest of the time it's fine.

With this setup the handling is great and you can throw the X1 around corners with ease.

Only downside is my rears need replacing after 13k miles. Not too good.

J.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
bradschaching
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Hi guys,

Hi,
My August 2010 X1 came with Pirelli run-flats. I bought it in May 2011 as a demo model and within three weeks drove over two nails and needed to buy a new one! The ride is fine to me but I was driving a Honda Jazz beforehand so it has been a huge improvement!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I've done over 10,000km on my runflats and no problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #16
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Here's my experience with RFTs so far.

My first set on my 20d were Goodyear Efficient Grip on the big Y spoke 322 alloys, different width wheels front and rear. I got about 44,000 kilometres from them. The rears were uniformly worn down and the fronts had feathered on the inner edges/corners even though there was still tread across the flat surface. No punctures even though I do a fair bit of rough dirt road driving including some snow and mud.

There was no stock of the same tires so I ended up with Pirelli P7s.

On both makes of tire the car performed well, its a firm sporty ride and corners incredibly well and has a firm ride.

So after 3,500 kms on the Pirelli P7 RFT's I had a rear wheel puncture. This was at the start of a 4 day weekend away trip to the Victorian Alps about 400 km from Melbourne. I was only about 100km into the trip when ding the warning came on. The car didn't feel any different however I stopped to find a roofing self tapping screw imbedded on the edge of the tread close to the sidewall. I drove to a nationally branded tire retailer in a country town who whipped it off, repaired it and had me back on the road in about an hour for $30.

I continued my trip, drove about another 800 kms without any problem until my last rest stop just 2 hours before home on day 4. When I restarted again ding the warning. Same tire, leaking at the repair.

So I limped home stopping to pump up the tire at every opportunity. The tire never actually ran flat I managed to keep it reasonably inflated but still kept to a reduced speed just in case.

So today off to the my local branch of this national tire retailer I go. They took one look at the tire and stated that P7 RFTs cannot be repaired and must be replaced. End of story. They then quote me a price $150 more than the BMW
dealer.

So now I've off the road for 2 days until the new tire is fitted by BMW.

I now need to decide whether RFT's are ok for me given the experience I've just had as getting a puncture with a rft does not mean you can continue your journey. It only means you can limp to the nearest tire centre who 1. cannot fix the tire for you and 2. cannot supply a new tire immediately. So going to a tire centre is a waste of time. Probably better to have BMW come out and pick up the car on a flat bed. This wrecks the trip and probably is delayed as well as for most of my trips I'm in remote areas of Victoria or NSW.

Expensive puncture too!!

So I've been a happy camper with my RFTs until now. Not sure what to do next.

Comments are welcome

Last edited by yohans; 11-02-2011 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #17
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

I'm in the same boat as you, so I've set up with a regular spare with the idea that if my runflat goes flat I can put on the spare and keep going. If I puncture that then put on the runflat again! So, I can't take as much luggage on a long trip, but at least the trip keeps going. Plus, if I am happy to carry around the spare there's no reason not to switch to regular tyres when the runflats wear out down the track. And the spare+reg tyre is cheaper than just 1 runflat replacement. Also I don't need to drive on the runflat and wreck it getting to a tyre shop. Plus no downtime whilst the local tyre place orders in a new runflat because they can't find one in the state (or in the counrty even). If you want to go with reg tyres next time around it's probably cheaper to buy the 5 rims +reg tyres than to buy 4 runflats!

Really happy with runflats, but like having the backup of the reg spare even if I only leave it at home and just take it on my longer trips.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

Yohans, Aus X1,

How expensive are the Pirelli runflats to replace in Australia? I have 17's on mine.

OP, the ride is fine on the runflats, and the handling is also great.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Haven't looked up the prices, but goodyears were about $360 17".
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Pirelli 18 inch different widths
Front 480
Rear 700
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

I did a fair bit of research on run flats prior to buying and decided I didn't want the hassle or expense of replacement (if even possible in country Australia). I blew two tyres on a trip to Jindabyne (500kms from Sydney once) and didn't want to be in that situation again with run flats. It would still be a problem but easier to replace in the country.

I swapped my Pirelli p7 run flats for non run flat Pirelli p7s. The tyre dealer did it at no cost and I bought a spare rim so I just swapped 4 run flats for five regulars and we were both happy.

Like AusX1, if I've got a long trip planned, I'll just take the spare with me as a back up. Not exactly ideal but a solution I can live with. The drive and handlng on the non run flats is great.

Last edited by bacchaebabe; 11-03-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

I see what you mean about getting 5 new rims and normal tyres!!!
Appreciate 0