Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
cheychey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1

Planning to Install an Android Nav

Hi All. I'm planning to an android nav system into my 2012 bmw x1. Was wondering if anyone has a similar setup and how it has been. I'm planning to go to this place locally in toronto. They posted a video of a post install x1, which looks and spec'd exactly as mine here. I called them and its going to cost $950 cdn + tax comes with the backup camera too. 2-3hrs installation time i was told.
Appreciate 1
Seagull287.50
      07-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
That does look well integrated.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Three concerns:
1. Doesn't look like it folds away.
2. There is a reason why every screen inside a vehicle has a matte finish.
3. That's a long reach to the dash if something cant be accessed via idrive knob.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Have you considered Bimertech Android mirroring? It is not quite the same thing as what you mentioned above but is another solution you may not have considered.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
cheychey
Canada
Rep

I should have mentioned this earlier, but I don't have idrive at all and a third party backup camera system at the moment. Also he told me if you have idrive you don't lose that function. You can still go back to it. There is an option called Original Car, which takes you back to the idrive menu. Since I don't have idrive that option wouldn't work. I didn't confirm with him but I'm kinda sure that would be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post
Have you considered Bimertech Android mirroring? It is not quite the same thing as what you mentioned above but is another solution you may not have considered.

Last edited by cheychey; 07-14-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
cheychey
Canada
Rep

1. No it doesn't fold away.
2. Don't know about the matte finish. I have seen the original units on aliexpress and it looks like it comes with a matte finish screen protector. Don't know if he provides it, but either way i could get one to reduce the glare.
3. I'm actually a short guy (5ft 4inch ) so my seat is upright and pushed really close to the dash so am able to reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
Three concerns:
1. Doesn't look like it folds away.
2. There is a reason why every screen inside a vehicle has a matte finish.
3. That's a long reach to the dash if something cant be accessed via idrive knob.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheychey View Post
I should have mentioned this earlier, but I don't have idrive at all and a third party backup camera system at the moment. Also he told me if you have idrive you don't lose that function. You can still go back to it. There is an option called Original Car, which takes you back to the idrive menu. Since I don't have idrive that option wouldn't work. I didn't confirm with him but I'm kinda sure that would be the case.
It seems you would need to add the iDrive wheel and buttons or use as a touch screen only unit. I agree that it probably wouldn't be worth adding iDrive then cameras/screen mirroring.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
Beamer1980
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive28i

Just had this unit installed in my car last week. Not as smooth as the OEM system but extremely happy with it. The navigation and rear camera work really well. Took 2.5 hours to install the screen, rear camera and control wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Beamer1980
Rep

Some photos of the everything installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Seagull287.50
      07-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #10
cheychey
Canada
Rep

Nice. Did you have the oem before this? Also where did you get it installed from? 4x4 shop? Could they have install the aux cable from the back? Btw Thanks for the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer1980 View Post
Just had this unit installed in my car last week. Not as smooth as the OEM system but extremely happy with it. The navigation and rear camera work really well. Took 2.5 hours to install the screen, rear camera and control wheel.

Last edited by cheychey; 07-22-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Beamer1980
Rep

I didn't have the OEM idrive before this, I just had the base stereo with the cubby where the display screen now is. I had it installed at 4x4 shop. Not sure if they could've installed the aux cable from the rear, I didn't ask actually.

I've had the unit for a week now and haven't had any issues. It's the nicest of all the aftermarket units I've seen over the past couple of years. The screen is nice and large. I like the option of switching back to the stock stereo if I choose to. It has Tom Tom navigation loaded with has a lot of cool options and I also like the ability to add apps on (waze, youtube, etc). The display looks really nice, video is perfect HD quality. The control wheel is a bit sluggish but it's something I can deal with. The rear view camera is amazing. I didn't have one before and it makes a huge difference. Nice being able to see the turning radius. For the price and the features, I'd definitely recommend this unit. They do sell an extended warranty, which I didn't get, but you have the option of adding 2 additional years to the 1 year warranty that it comes with. At the $169 price tag for the 2 additional years, I just took my chances.

Quote:
Nice. Did you have the oem before this? Also where did you get it installed from? 4x4 shop? Could they have install the aux cable from the back? Btw Thanks for the photos.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
cheychey
Canada
Rep

Thanks a lot for that info. This will definitely on my to do list, once I done with the expense of replacing the timing chain on my X1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer1980 View Post
I didn't have the OEM idrive before this, I just had the base stereo with the cubby where the display screen now is. I had it installed at 4x4 shop. Not sure if they could've installed the aux cable from the rear, I didn't ask actually.

I've had the unit for a week now and haven't had any issues. It's the nicest of all the aftermarket units I've seen over the past couple of years. The screen is nice and large. I like the option of switching back to the stock stereo if I choose to. It has Tom Tom navigation loaded with has a lot of cool options and I also like the ability to add apps on (waze, youtube, etc). The display looks really nice, video is perfect HD quality. The control wheel is a bit sluggish but it's something I can deal with. The rear view camera is amazing. I didn't have one before and it makes a huge difference. Nice being able to see the turning radius. For the price and the features, I'd definitely recommend this unit. They do sell an extended warranty, which I didn't get, but you have the option of adding 2 additional years to the 1 year warranty that it comes with. At the $169 price tag for the 2 additional years, I just took my chances.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
BrianML
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 318is, 328i, 340i

Any dealers for this in the states? Since you don't have the OEM iDrive, how are the iDrive features enabled? I have been thinking about something like this, mostly because I miss having a backup cam.
      07-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
cheychey
Canada
Rep

My understanding it doesn't enable idrive features if you didn't have idrive to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianML View Post
Any dealers for this in the states? Since you don't have the OEM iDrive, how are the iDrive features enabled? I have been thinking about something like this, mostly because I miss having a backup cam.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
Beamer1980
Rep

That's right, it does not enable idrive features, if you don't already have it.

Quote:
My understanding it doesn't enable idrive features if you didn't have idrive to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #16
Beamer1980
Rep

Just an update on the Unit as I've had it about a month and a half now. The unit itself works really well. I was told that the aux output from the deck had to be inserted into the cars aux input to hear audio for the navigation but this isn't the case. The nav audio still comes through if you're playing music through the radio or the stock USB port.

The cars vehicle check symbol has been coming on since I got the unit installed (intermittently). The light comes on for a few seconds when I open the drivers side door every once in a while. I made a separate post about this on the thread. I was expecting it to be due to the fact that some maintenance was overdue. I took the car in for a scheduled oil change last week and they mentioned that everything looked good.

I've had the vehicle maintenance light come on 3 times since I took it in for the service. I took it back to the dealer today for an inspection. The dealer determined that it was the navigation unit that was causing the issue. They stated that the light was coming on due to several K-CAN Communication faults. They disconnected the unit from the car and did a road test which showed no errors. As soon as they plugged the unit back in, the errors returned. Dealer recommended that I uninstall the unit as the car is still under warranty and any electrical issues that come up in the future will not be covered if the unit is still installed.

I will be taking the car to 4x4 shop as they were adamant that there would be no issues. I called the shop after the inspection today and they stated that they have installed over 100 of these units and haven't seen a single issue. I'm hoping that they can solve the problem as I really like the unit. If they're not able to fix it, I'll have to uninstall the unit.
Appreciate 1