Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
...Many people on here specifically bought the X1 BECAUSE of its handling. After all, it's not particularly nice inside, it's not good looking, and it's not cheap...
Strongly disagree, but I'm a wagon nut, so my opinion might be a tad skewed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Strongly disagree

I also liked the Z3 which tons of people hate as well in the looks department.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #25
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Strongly disagree, but I'm a wagon nut, so my opinion might be a tad skewed.
I love the look as well, but I say that knowing I tend to pick relatively unpopular cars as far as others are concerned.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #26
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 MSport 35i Ultimate

well, this is certainly getting spirited

FWIW, I like the way the X1 looks or I would not have bought it.
I also like the way it performs too. I chose the E84/35i Xdrive MSport over the 4 cyl S drive models because of its sporting intent (at least). I moved from Infiniti sport coupes (G35S M Coupe, and G37S M Coupe) which are very raw sporting vehicles compared to the X1. I did it because I was ok with the compromises the X1 presented, and it offered me a way to get some more utility (vs a Coupe) and still have a solid, smile inducing driving experience.

It has not let me down on all scores and thats why I bought my lease.

So, as for tires, I believe I do understand that the Pirelli RFT's with their very stiff sidewalls and pretty harsh ride are part of its current/stock performance profile. Remember, I do like the car with its stock tires enough to have bought it. BUT .... having read enough comments on this forum and others, I would like to go back to standard (non-RFT's) tires .. mostly to see if I can get the ride to smooth out a bit, while not making a huge compromise in dry handling (80% of my driving in N Cal) .. and also having a tire that will do reasonably well in the snow when I head up to the Sierra's 3-4 times a year. The RFT's are also pretty stupidly expensive compared to most other non-RFT options .. at least IMO.

Back on topic ..
DSW06's do seem to review well
but I am also open to other suggestions that are proven by experience.

I need to take care of this in the next 2 weeks or so as I am already in a treadware mismatch situaiton and I don't want that to continue very much further into the new year.

Thanks for the insights and spirited defenses of various solutions to my situation.
      01-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #27
hooligan_G01
Rep

If you want an all season with a bit stronger handling ratings in the wet/dry (i.e. stiffer sidewalls than the DWS06s, but softer than the RFTs), I think the Michelin AS3+ are about the best option out there, based on the reviews I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #28
hooligan_G01
Rep

Here's a good summary of testing from TireRack - now, this only deals with tires that they carry, but....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #29
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

got a quote for tires yesterday from local Goodyear shop that I have had good luck with on several other vehicles over the years.

Continental DWS06's
Pirelli RFT's .. same as stock model I have on now
Michelin AS3+

Pretty amazingly to me, they are all pretty close in price to each other +/- $20.00.
Will make a choice this week and get them on early next.

Leaning towards the Michelin's at this point. Seems like a decent compromise between the DWS06's and Pirelli RFTs.

thanks for the insights and info.
      01-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #30
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

You can't really go wrong with these choices as they are the top in their segments. You're unlikely to out drive them in the dry on public roads. Maybe you can evaluate their performance on inclement weather (rain, snow, ice) to find any strong differentiators.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, I took a different route than you and went with a dedicated set of 17s with Pirelli RFT snow tires

I LOVE it. the impact harshness going over bumps is almost gone, the steering is lighter while steering retaining similar feel, and the sidewalls are still very stiff (still a RFT) so the handling feel around town is quite similar. The car is great in the snow with this setup.

congrats on buying out your car. Hope you have many more years of trouble free ownership
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #32
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
It looks like you are basing your input in reading reviews. As opposed to my own experience. But ok lets go there. Let's tirerack.com reviews. In the nature of statistics there something called sample size. Both the continentals DWS with 51M and 06 with 5.xM miles. They both have excellent reviews and are upper tier of their segment. The larger sample size normalizes extremes and provides more accurate picture of these products. More so i am speaking as a former owner not web mining data to support ones agenda.

The X1 while is a decent handler its class it is not a common sight at weekend track events or autoX. Whether you accept or not our X1 is no M3 or Miata. Owners that take their X1 to track are exception than the rule. You can drive a Corolla S to the track and tell to the world that it handles well but it doesn't change its owner demographics and it's target use. All season tires are about compromises, it comes down to which area you can live with on your driving application.

I suggest you read the poster's intended use of the tires. No track application. Let it sink in.
What are you talking about?

We're talking about all-season tires here. No one is talking about the track, or an autox course. No one is running DWSs at the damn track.

The fact of the matter is, the sidewall is very soft, which can be felt driving the car around the block. In daily driving, and particularly depending on your size/aspect ratio, they can drastically affect the way a car feels. Couple that with literally any kind of spirited street driving, and you may find yourself pulling them off the car, as many, many others have.

Do you know why they made the DWS06 in the first place?

They were responding to a lot of negative public opinion about the handling of the tire (on the STREET). So they sacrificed some snow performance in order to bring the sidewall a bit more in line with other high performance all-season tires.

Another fun-fact...they were so lamented by so many people that Discounttiredirect (big online retailer) requested Continental make another high performance all-season with a better handling. They marketed it as an improved version of the DWS and sold it exclusively (before the 06 was released).

"Let that sink in." The tire has its reputation for a very good reason.

Your average, I'll say, "enthusiast" could EASILY feel the difference between a DWS and an AS3, for example, even driving to the grocery store. Have you even tried them?

More generally, I think the overall point of your post is quite flawed:

Might your average soccer mom not feel the difference that many like me felt so drastically? Sure.

But, which you blatantly ignore...

Your average soccer mom doesn't post on enthusiast car forums.

Your average soccer mom doesn't buy a 300 bhp, $45k little X1.

Maybe, just maybe, the OP is even half of an enthusiast who enjoys his car's handling even a bit. In which case, recommending the DWS is asinine.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 01-26-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #33
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

got the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 Plus tires on the car today

I finally got around to getting the OEM RFT's off my X1 today.
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus in the stock size 225/45ZR18XL.

FWIW Michelin is running a promotion (at least here in CA) that drops the per tire price meaningfully from what I was quoted in Jan, and then takes $70 off the total bill. Saved me about $300 form the Jan quote, so pretty good deal to start with which makes me happy right off the bat.

I was only able to put a few miles on the new rubber today, some local low speed roads and some highway, but I did immediately notice that the ride was less harsh, and was also quieter than with the OEM RFT's. Handling still seemed tight, and I did not notice the steering being too "soft", but I did not exactly push it very hard either.

I will get a chance this weekend to get on some familiar twisty roads and see how the new Michelin's handle being tossed around a little.

Thanks again for the tire insight and info. Much appreciated.

now I have to start thinking about one of the simpler Dinan tunes and see if I can squeeze a bit more driving fun out of this already nice car.
      02-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #34
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfschim1 View Post
I finally got around to getting the OEM RFT's off my X1 today.
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus in the stock size 225/45ZR18XL.

FWIW Michelin is running a promotion (at least here in CA) that drops the per tire price meaningfully from what I was quoted in Jan, and then takes $70 off the total bill. Saved me about $300 form the Jan quote, so pretty good deal to start with which makes me happy right off the bat.

I was only able to put a few miles on the new rubber today, some local low speed roads and some highway, but I did immediately notice that the ride was less harsh, and was also quieter than with the OEM RFT's. Handling still seemed tight, and I did not notice the steering being too "soft", but I did not exactly push it very hard either.

I will get a chance this weekend to get on some familiar twisty roads and see how the new Michelin's handle being tossed around a little.

Thanks again for the tire insight and info. Much appreciated.

now I have to start thinking about one of the simpler Dinan tunes and see if I can squeeze a bit more driving fun out of this already nice car.

Can you post the details of this promotion? I'm only seeing $70 off the total price right now. Where did you buy the tires? Like, what vendor?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #35
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc647 View Post
Can you post the details of this promotion? I'm only seeing $70 off the total price right now. Where did you buy the tires? Like, what vendor?
responded to your PM. But for anyone else who might be interested, I got the tires at Costco. Their starting price was about $25 less per tire than any other quote I got, then with the $70 Michelin discount deal, it really dropped the price of getting 4 new paws on my X1.

Also, just to give some feedback on the A/S 3 Plus performance vs the OEM RFTs, I am really enjoying the new feel of my X1. It is certainly quieter and less harsh of a ride, but I don't feel like I have given up anything meaningful in terms of handling. I had it out on some nice twisty stuff last weekend, roads that I am very familiar with, and the car felt just as tight to me as it did with the presumably stiffer RFTs. Now keep in mind that I am not a race car driver and this car does not go to the track, BUT .. I do like to put it into sport mode, work those paddles and throw it around a bit, and the new rubber did not take away anything that I can detect as far as grip, cornering etc.

very happy with the change so far .. and also happy to have gotten a pretty good deal on 4 new tires.

Last edited by pfschim1; 02-21-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #36
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm 6 weeks into the tire change from RFT to the A/S 3's on my 2015 35i XDrive M and thought I'd report back on my experience.

I definitely don't miss the harshness of the OEM RTF's
Daily driving, or weekend cruising is a much smoother experience with the new rubber, and still plenty spirited.

On the curves at speed, I notice the effect of the somewhat softer sidewalls on the A/S 3's compared to the OEM RFT's .. at least that's what I think I am noticing. We have done our usual handful of trips to the mountains this winter (just came back from a trip yesterday) and once you are up there, the roads are pretty twisty (mostly in a good way). I feel like I am not able to be quite as aggressive on the repeated inside/outside curves these twisty routes provide as I had been with the RFT's. It's nothing terrible as I am rarely going more than 10-15 over the posted speed (40-55).

Overall, I am happy about the change (had to get new tires one way or the other), it definitely gives the car a smoother ride. But, I would say there is a noticeable driving dynamics change on twisty roads at speed. My X1 remains very nimble, quick (enough) and fun to drive, but it does seem to lean into curves at speed a bit more than before. Another thing here may be that I need to get more experience with the new tires. I did drive the RFT's for 4 years and have only been running the A/S 3's for 6 weeks, so maybe just some more time with them will help me adjust my handling of the car.

cheers

Last edited by pfschim1; 03-29-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #37
dragoon6779
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

I just got somebody else's lease turn it (apparently the wife of a salesman). A nice 2015 M-Sport with all the options except cold weather (no problem in Arizona). A very nice car!

I have read lots of posts slamming the run flats, so I guess I will have to figure out what regular tires I can put on (19's on front and rear).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1