XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
JNPatsch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi A4

Potential Buyer

Hello all, my name is Jed; new to the forums and looking to get my girlfriend into a 2013 xdrive 28i x1 with 61,xxx miles. The car is at BMW and we checked it out this past Sunday and really liked the car so much we put a deposit down. The car has yet to go through service as it was just recently traded in and we are awaiting a call back. Car comes with a 6 month warranty from BMW as well as a Brake, oil changes and wiper warranty the previous owner had purchased that would then be active until next November. Anyhow I decided I should probably look into things further to see how the reliability is before we actually pull the trigger and purchase the vehicle. Looking a lot on the forums and all over google and seems like the timing chain tensioner/ guides seems to be a real downfall on these cars and the n20 engine. Is this problem really that widespread or is it just the select few who have reported the problem? I know BMW has extended a warranty on the chain until 70,000 miles but that’s only good for another 9,000 on this particular car. I come from owning mostly Volkswagen and Audi’s and can work on cars myself but like to try and avoid it if I can. I know the plastic timing parts are in all makes and models so that doesn’t really scare me it’s just the what if part. Has anyone done this job themselves? How much did it cost you in parts? Also do you have to pull the motor or can it stay in for the job? Might try to work something out with BMW where they extend a warranty on just the chain and corresponding parts or get a good deal on a service plan.

Thanks for the help.

Here is a pic to intrigue some action here

Last edited by JNPatsch; 12-18-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
MildMethod
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 SDrive20D

I'm too fresh to the X1 scene to comment, but I will say I like that red interior!
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Motor stays in the car...

'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildMethod View Post
I'm too fresh to the X1 scene to comment, but I will say I like that red interior!
I'm also too new to the scene, plus I have the N55 not the N20. However, I also really like that red interior with the Alpine White!

To the OP, I would factor in the estimated cost of replacing the timing chain guides and see if the numbers still make sense for you.

If so, I'll tell you that I'm really enjoying the X1. It's essentially the AWD wagon that I couldn't find at a comparable price from any other marque. I'm still lusting after a Volvo V60 Polestar, but at nearly twice the price of my X1, it was still a pass for now.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

That car looks sharp OP.

One thing that makes internet info hard is that there are sometimes forum members who put on Jb4 or other power adders, get problems on their n20 and try to pass it off as an issue with the stock motor.

That noise makes it hard to assess whether there's an issue for stock cars.

If everything checks out I say go for it.

For what it's worth, see if you can get a drive in a 35i and get a car with Bmw apps. Love both of those things in our x1
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
JNPatsch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi A4

So we decided to pass on the car and went back to BMW to get back our deposit :/ Not worth the the risk I feel, especially at the mileage and cost of the car ($17,500 with 61,xxx) Instead I found a 2013 X1 35i with 42,xxx for $18,500 with nav and all that jazz. Seems like a better and more reliable motor and overall better car for the cost.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Congrats. That look like our Sportline X28i!
The n20 engine be is found in a large amount of BMW's from 2,3,5 series to x1-x4 and z-cars. Globally it's a widely used engine. What we're seeing is internet echoes. Like some one posted earlier, there are all ready some issues with all kinds of engines. Just that some gets resonated more. Google up n55 issues and you'll have sleepless nights and buyers remorse. The mind sees what the mind wants to see.
Extended OCI by the factory is a disservice and contributor to engine reliabilities. When it comes to used vehicles best to change it all the fluids if your unsure.
Appreciate 0