Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Youpaiyou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

What kind of receiver hitch?

Hello:

I'm starting the process of putting a trailer hitch on my X1. The threads regarding this topic are awesome, but I didn't see what type of receiver hitch you guys were using. I went to the parts store and the receiver hitches vary by depth. Will someone weigh in and tell me the specs of their receiver hitch?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
kvanoman
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 28i M

This is what I use if you don't mind the hitch being highly visible. "2013 BMW X1 With Panoramic Sunroof Only Trailer Hitch Kit from Curt 13140 Hitch & 56146 wiring harness." I think there is a product that is completely hidden, but expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Youpaiyou
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanoman View Post
This is what I use if you don't mind the hitch being highly visible. "2013 BMW X1 With Panoramic Sunroof Only Trailer Hitch Kit from Curt 13140 Hitch & 56146 wiring harness." I think there is a product that is completely hidden, but expensive.
Right. That's the hitch, but I need the receiver part of the hitch. It's the part the trailer connects to. A ball is attached to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
kvanoman
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 28i M

I pull a small trailer that folds and stores. In order to get the height correct I use a Reese receiver 21794 in RISE position. Specifications are a length of 10", a drop of 5 1/4", and a rise of 4". I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I didn't read your message very well and understand now what you are asking.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youpaiyou View Post
Hello:

I'm starting the process of putting a trailer hitch on my X1. The threads regarding this topic are awesome, but I didn't see what type of receiver hitch you guys were using. I went to the parts store and the receiver hitches vary by depth. Will someone weigh in and tell me the specs of their receiver hitch?

Thanks!
The receiver can vary based on your trailering needs. It is best to measure the trailer, preferably loaded and leveled to determine the correct height of the ball, then you can determine your drop or rise. The goal is to try and keep your vehicle and trailer level. Make sure you understand the total weight of the trailer and the tongue weight, which should be between 5-10% of the total gross weight of the trailer, including load.

If you are unfamiliar with trailers and towing, i would suggest the following guide
http://www.jayco.com/pdfs/DigitalTLTowGuide2012.pdf

Bear in mind, in the US, BMW does not recommend towing with the X1...However, in Europe, they are rated for towing
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Execuhitch here.
Specs are:
It fits
you can't see it when not in use
it replaces the factory bumper
it does not compromise the vehicle's crush zone(s) in the event of a rear end crash
it's pricey

If considering another brand you might visit etrailer.com Lots of info there
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Youpaiyou
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay, thanks guys. I'm not going to buy a trailer. Instead, I rent one from Home Depot every few months or so. I'll try and buy a "standard" receiver with an exchange policy and I'll keep swaping it out until it fits correctly.
Appreciate 0