XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

02-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Santiago B.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, BMW M3 YMB, BMW530xit

Down pipe install for x1 35i (N55 engine)

Hello,
I just wanted to share my experience on the addition of the down pipe for my X1 35i xi. So here is the highlights.

1. Installation took about 2 hours at my independent mechanic garage. He had a lift and all the tools needed to do the job.

The original catalytic converter is attached to the turbo, and it was replaced with a VRSF brand down pipe (DP). The Cat was a bit tricky to get out since there is a ring/bracket that holds it in place against the turbo. The DP is later reattached using the same ring.

2. before removing the cat, the oxygen sensors need to be disconnected from the engine bay connection, under the air intake piping(passenger side). It took a little while to find the connectors since there is not a lot of information online for that so check out the pictures. Also the exhaust needs to be removed from the cat area via bolts on the catalytic.

3. Once the cat was removed the oxygen sensors had to be removed from the catalytic itself. The lower one (post Catalytic) broke from the threads striping out its own threads. so only the pre cat oxygen sensor got re-installed in the DP.

3. since the DP doesn't have a catalytic converter the engine trows a code immediately, so i will have to deal with that, maybe by installing the JB4, which eliminates the code, supposedly.

4. The results are worth the trouble IMO. The sound improves drastically and the turbo spools more freely and the engine becomes a lot more responsive to the gas pedal. Even the sightless touch to the gas pedal allows the turbo to work more easily.

If you are thinking on doing this mod, I do encourage you to try it out (at your discretion, especially if your warranty is still covering you) But performance wise will clearly be improved.
Attached Images

Last edited by Santiago B.; 02-12-2016 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

First, thanks for the writeup/pics! We need more people like you around here!

Small point, you didn't need to drop the rest of the exhaust, you should have been able to let it droop down, or move it laterally enough to get the cat out. but it's easy enough to do and does free up space.

The JB4 will not eliminate the code. It will block the CEL from coming on, but the cat readiness monitor will still be incomplete (or failed without the resulting CEL).

This has been an issue with all N55s, since, (and you're in luck), until VERY recently, no o2 simulator or DP fix was available.

Looks like someone finally got an o2 simulator working...

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219459

Without using that, while you won't have a CEL, you will not be able to pass inspection with the DP in place.

That being said, you NEED a JB4, pronto!
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 02-12-2016 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Santiago B.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, BMW M3 YMB, BMW530xit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
First, thanks for the writeup/pics! We need more people like you around here!

Small point, you didn't need to drop the rest of the exhaust, you should have been able to let it droop down, or move it laterally enough to get the cat out. but it's easy enough to do and does free up space.

The JB4 will not eliminate the code. It will block the CEL from coming on, but the cat readiness monitor will still be incomplete (or failed without the resulting CEL).

This has been an issue with all N55s, since, (and you're in luck), until VERY recently, no o2 simulator or DP fix was available.

Looks like someone finally got an o2 simulator working...

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1219459

Without using that, while you won't have a CEL, you will not be able to pass inspection with the DP in place.

That being said, you NEED a JB4, pronto!

Premature Apex
Thanks for providing these links I am sure I will try out something like this in the near future. I did not even know there was such a thing like a O2 simulator. Fortunately for me there is not emissions testing regulations for cars in my state(TN), so i am not worried bout that.

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
So, thread resurrection time. I installed a VSRF downpipe today, it was not a 2-3 hour job (mostly due to figuring it out on my own without a full write up with pictures for an E84 X1 xDrive35i). For an IT guy I can mechanic on most anything. I may try to do one, as I took pictures and tried to make note of all the tools I used. It took me about 5-6 hours, partly because I had to work on my back with jackstands instead of a lift.

First, holy cow there is virtually no room to work on our cars where the stock downpipe is - I have long, skinny fingers and relatively large hands so I got to play contortionist to reach some areas.

2nd, there was absolutely no way to get the old DP out without removing the lower O2 sensor or dropping the subframe (which just wasn't happening). The brackets and O2 sensor hit the heatshield with the subframe attached. I also took off the old bracket from the transmission to give me a little more room.

3rd, the O2 sensors connect under the plastic cover under the bars, both of which you ideally need to remove to disconnect both sensors.

4th, as long as you remove the exhaust support and 8 screws from the exhaust brace in the back, your definitely don't need to completely remove the exhaust.

Lastly, buttoning up the exhaust.. I almost thought I was going to be in the same situation as my old Mazda 626 I replaced the header on where the "bolt on part" was too short and exhaust work would need to be fabbed on. Luckily, the exhaust just shifted and my dad and I manhandled it into position. I was also worried because the bolts are not welded/secured onto the new DP, so theoretically you need to have a wrench on both sides to tighten the nuts, which is impossible in such a tight space. Luckily the lockring washer prevented the inaccessible side from turning.

I did cheat and didn't use an O2 removal socket/claw though! We cut one end of a large close ended 22mm wrench to allow it to slide over the O2 wire - it slipped since it is weaker metal, but the open end and PB blaster broke the bond.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Nice work. First time is by far the worst, much much faster anytime after.

If you remove the bracket (and throw it in the trash can ), you can get the stock DP in and out with the O2s still in it. Not easy, but it can be done.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #6
fixingstill
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
2nd, there was absolutely no way to get the old DP out without removing the lower O2 sensor or dropping the subframe (which just wasn't happening). The brackets and O2 sensor hit the heatshield with the subframe attached. I also took off the old bracket from the transmission to give me a little more room.
Spent 2-3 hrs under my 2014 X1 x35i and stuck at removing the cat out. It looks like I have to drop the subframe. Now that I see your post, I will try to remove the lower O2 sensor first. Thanks for the info. I was planning to hang the engine and drop the subframe tomorrow.

If I can slide it out without dropping surframe, I will cut off the brackets pieces from the cat and I should be able to slide it back in.

BTW, I have a crack on the cat, and it was leaking exhaust.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1