XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

Rumor: turbo 4 only for europe...USA later on!

BMWBLOG.COM is reporting a rumor that the turbo 4 will show up only in Europe while the first X1s coming to North America will have the NA in line 6....later on though, the turbo 4 will replace the NA engines.....Does anybody know more about this. I follow BMWBLOG and they are good at what they do, soi I trust their news.
I, for one, wish this is true as I am a big NA BMW engine fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6er View Post
BMWBLOG.COM is reporting a rumor that the turbo 4 will show up only in Europe while the first X1s coming to North America will have the NA in line 6....later on though, the turbo 4 will replace the NA engines.....Does anybody know more about this. I follow BMWBLOG and they are good at what they do, soi I trust their news.
I, for one, wish this is true as I am a big NA BMW engine fan.
I agree and have been saying this for some time now. Have a look at my post 23 in http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=477885&page=2
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Canada will get it first!

There is an official BMW Canada annm't on this.

Richmond Hill, ON. *Closely following the North American premiere of the BMW X1 at the Montreal International Autoshow on January 13,* 2011, BMW Canada is pleased to announce that the new BMW X1 xDrive28i will debut in late spring of 2011, equipped with BMW’s first four-cylinder gasoline engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology.
With over 115,000 units sold worldwide since its launch in late 2009, the BMW X1 is a runaway success. As the first, and only, premium compact sport utility, the highly anticipated BMW X1 arrives in Canada as a single version, the X1 xDrive28i. The all-new 2.0 litre four-cylinder engine powering the X1 xDrive28i incorporates BMW TwinPower technology featuring a single high-performance twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Direct injection, Double-Vanos variable camshaft timing and Valvetronic variable valve control.
Belying its relatively modest displacement,* the all-new engine has an output of 241 horsepower, and 258 lb-ft of torque (from 1,250-4,800 rpm) and is mated to a standard close-ratio 8-speed automatic transmission. *Epitomizing BMW’s Efficient Dynamics philosophy, the X1 xDrive28i will set new performance and efficiency benchmarks in its segment, sprinting from 0-100 km/h in just 6.5 seconds, while sipping fuel at an combined rate of only 7.9 liters/100km (European figures).
As with other BMW xDrive models, the X1 xDrive28i is equipped with BMW’s sophisticated infinitely-variable xDrive permanent all-wheel-drive system. Integrated with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and engine management systems, BMW’s xDrive system can distribute up to 100% of the engine’s power to the front or rear axles, ensuring BMW’s hallmark agility and roadholding in all driving conditions. The DSC system also includes integral ABS, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC), Cornering Brake Control (CBC), Brake Drying, Fade Compensation and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) functions.
Measuring 4454 mm in length with a height of 1545mm, the X1 xDrive28i takes its place as the most compact of the BMW Sport Activity Vehicle lineup, yet is clearly identifiable as a BMW X model from every angle. Square-contoured wheel arches, increased ground clearance, narrow guard strips along the lower edges of the body and the upright BMW kidney grille all point to robust design. The long hood, short front overhang, a long wheelbase of 2760mm and the steeply sloping rear windscreen accentuate the sense of length and confirm the sporting credentials of the new X1 xDrive28i.
The unique design concept of the X1 xDrive28i offers interior adaptability unique in the premium compact segment. Its elevated seating position and driver-centric cockpit design contribute to an exhilarating driving experience, while a generous feeling of space and wide range of storage options will appeal to customers with an active and varied lifestyle.
The rear cabin offers three full-size seating positions. One or more sections of the 40:20:40 split-folding rear seatback can be lowered to increase luggage capacity from 420 litres to 1,350 litres.
The X1 xDrive28i, of course, encompasses the full range of BMW passive safety technology and has already achieved the highest 5-star rating in the demanding Euro NCAP crash test program.* Equipment includes standard front and side airbags for the driver and front passenger, anti-whiplash front headrests and side head curtain for both front and rear occupants. All seats feature three-pivot automatic seatbelts, the front seats being equipped with belt force limiters and pyrotechnical belt tensioning.
With the combination of the new four-cylinder TwinPower Turbo engine, 8 speed automatic transmission and xDrive all-wheel-drive, the virtues of the new X1 xDrive28i are a perfect fit for for the Canadian market and the premium compact sport utility segment.
Built at BMW Plant Leipzig, the new BMW X1 xDrive28i is schedule to go on sale in Canada in late spring of 2011 (as a model year 2012). Pricing and additional technical details will be announced closer to market launch.

Last edited by DUH CAR; 01-26-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Stop the haters.....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Canada will get it first!

OK, we will see Tbh there are some conflicting reports inside BMW about this. Officially BMW in Europe are saying the world debut of the T4 (N20) engine is at the Geneva Motor Show in March with orders in Europe opening at that time.

I am not certain either

Maybe Canada gets the T4 and the USA gets the I6

PS: BMW have just introduced the 3.0d X3 here in the UK. I wonder how long before they offer it in the X1. X3 3.0d does 0-60 in 6.2s. That should make the X1 3.0d (if and when) do the 0-60 in 6.0s
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you guys for the info. good info DUH CAR, I guess this confirms the future of X1 in Canada. I am not a big fan of turbo small engines, and rather a big fan of NA BMW engines...thus the news saddens me a lot, but hey...we can't win every time. I hope the new engine probves to be a good one, otherwise I will be leaving the brand for good.

All the best
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Thank you guys for the info. good info DUH CAR, I guess this confirms the future of X1 in Canada. I am not a big fan of turbo small engines, and rather a big fan of NA BMW engines...thus the news saddens me a lot, but hey...we can't win every time. I hope the new engine probves to be a good one, otherwise I will be leaving the brand for good.

All the best
Yeah, I'm depressed again too. No manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

We'll I'm the opposite, I'm depressed if we get the 3.0 liter NA. I want the much better gas mileage and torque of the turbo 4 and will not buy an X1 if we truly get the 3.0. From the way I read the articles it says the US will get the turbo 3.0 but it never said we would get the 3.0 NA. It sounds like they are trying to introduce it and rollit out to the Z4 and 5 series first and probably don't have enough engines to go around. I'm sure were getting it instead of the 3.0 NA but it sounds like maybe spring of 2012. I had the 3.0 NA in two X3's and its a fine engine but times change and with gas headed for $4+ in the US and owning a Clubman S I don't want another 17 mpg X series like my X3's were.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

No manual.. guess that is now confirmed. I'm out.
      01-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

I am out too.
too bad, I need another car and BMW does not have one that I want...528 without the x-drive, 328 too old and too small, X3 without comfort seats, X1 with a new engine...and all with RFTs....may be Audi can win me over, I will try the A4 on the week end!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, I was standing on the ledge, but I found a glimmer of hope. Based on what I see on the BMWCA page no version of the new 5 is available in Canada with a manual transmission. However, both the 535i and the 550i are available in the US with a 6 speed manual.

Based on that, I'm keeping the torch burning that the X1 will be available in the US with a manual.

BMW if you are out there, PLEASE don't screw this up! I beg you to bring this car to the US with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
kolomee
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335xi

Hate to rain on your parade, but here in Canada, the 535i and 550i are both available with the manual as well. The stupid thing is that when you select the Sports Package on the 535i, you can't pick the 6MT as an option. What kind of retarded thinking is that?

And BMW has lost me as a potential customer if they can't bring either the X1 or X3 with the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolomee View Post
Hate to rain on your parade, but here in Canada, the 535i and 550i are both available with the manual as well. The stupid thing is that when you select the Sports Package on the 535i, you can't pick the 6MT as an option. What kind of retarded thinking is that?

And BMW has lost me as a potential customer if they can't bring either the X1 or X3 with the 6MT.
I don't get it how you all can discount the X1 before the release spec is finalised or at the very least have driven one. Do you all decide on which car to go for based on paper spec?

1. I am a committed petrolhead
2. I love cars
3. I love manuals
4. I love driving

I thoroughly test drive every manufacturer and model within a set range of requirements, its part of the fun.

In order to arrive at my decision to go for the X1 I have driven:

1. Audi Q5 2.0 TDi and TFSi, in manual and auto
2. Audi All Road in 2.0 TDi manual
3. Audi A4 Estate 2.0 TFSi Auto
4. BMW 3-series Estate 2.5i Manual
5. Merc C-Class Estate 250 CDI Auto
6. Merc E-Class Estate 250CDI Auto
7. Merc E-Class Coupe 250 CGI Manual
8. Volvo XC60 2.4d in Auto

And of course the X1 (there is no petrol model in the UK) in:

1.8d SDrive Manual
2.0d Xdrive Manual and Auto
2.3d Xdrive Auto

I won't go into the pros and cons of each or my process of arriving at the X1 except to say that the 2.0d Xdrive in Auto was the nicest drive of all.

Its my first diesel (it really is that good) and my first auto and I can in all honesty say that its one of the nicest all round cars I have owned.

Anyway just my two bits.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep

The list of wagons/small utes with all wheel drive available in the US with a manual is down to four cars: 328 Estate, Countryman, Saab 9-3x, and Subaru Outback/Forester. That's it. And the Subarus are only offered with a stick in the f4 normally aspirated mode. The 328 wagon will likely become auto only when the next generation arrives next year.

For someone who really values driving a manual, there is next to nothing to even test drive. I've test driven all of the above 4. Well, regarding the Saab...I sat in it and was so appalled by the interior quality (or lack thereof) that there was no point in even turning the key.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

The M5 I believe was introduced in US only in manual format because of demand. Apparently the transmission was worse than the SMG - slower too (same for Ferrari California).

I applaud those who love manuals, but sometimes an auto makes sense. Currently in the UK and indeed South Africa the new X3 in 2.0d guise is not available in manual. But personally, I think this only makes sense in such a large car - imagine town parking in manual - it can't be fun.

I'm just surprised they offer manual 5s anywhere, not least in Canada esp. the bigger engined ones like the 550i. And I still think gadgets like iDrive combined with a manual requires much larger levels of concentration on the road - it's not safe to me.

But still - will not begrudge any manual lovers here! Oh and 911 lovers the next one will have a 7 speed manual. A first I believe. (When both hands will ever be on the steering though I don't know).

Last edited by manicm; 01-28-2011 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

Disounting the X1 is based on the turbo engine, not the drivability of the car. I did not drive the car but I'm sure it drives like other BMWs, awsome...my problem is the turbo 4, BMW failed me and others with the N54 and N55 engines, why the T-4 would be any different?
Turbo engines are not as reliable as the NA ones, furthermore, true BMW fans like the NA engines, even the 4 cylinder ones...I owned a 318 for msany years.
BMW should offer the X1 with the inline 6 and with the turbos to suit all. my two cents!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
...my problem is the turbo 4, BMW failed me and others with the N54 and N55 engines, why the T-4 would be any different?
Poop happens. Cars are mechanical things. Look at Toyota.

As far as the N54 fuel pump issue, BMW issued a recall and replaced the affected ones. There is also a 10 year warranty on it. I think they did the best they could.
      01-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I actually agree, just checked the specs - the engine in a 528i is just as efficient and more powerful than the x28i !

Just note that a car like an X is much less aerodynamic than a saloon though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

[ Poop happens. Cars are mechanical things. Look at Toyota.

As far as the N54 fuel pump issue, BMW issued a recall and replaced the affected ones. There is also a 10 year warranty on it. I think they did the best they could.]

I respect ur opinion, but, what BMW presents is a band aid not a fix...this is a more serious issue than the Toyota, just imagine loosing power while packing into a major street!
BMW failed with the N54 and N55, period.....
I don't trust their Turbo engines, but I do love their cars and their NA engines...case n' point, BMW should offer both engines to suit people like yourself and me...a turbo for you and a NA for me.
also, BMW is known to discount consumer feedback, big time...may be its time they start paying more attention to what we say, look at GM.....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep

I don't know if this was posted yet. Here is the actual transcript from BMWNA CEO speaking in Washington. He says the turbo 4 will be released in the US before the end of 2011. The heading before the actual transcript says the 6-speed will be standard, but O'Donnel doesn't mention the gearbox in his talk.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/01/28/ne...fore-year-end/
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

BMW has no choice just like Audi and Mercedes but go to turbo or supercharged engines for future gas milage and emission reasons. Ford is doing it as well and it's a matter of time before the Japanese get it. They are so hung up on Hybrids they need to get their heads out of their butts. By 2016 manufacturers will have to get the same performance out of smaller engines and it's the only way. The only other way is too go to 8 speed auto and again the Japanese are way behing the German manufacturers. They still have 4 and 5 speed auto's on a lot of Toyota's, Subaru's and Honda's. While I love the NA engines the new X3 2.8 (3.0) gets worse gas milage than the X3 turbo 3.0. Try marketing that one, an upgraded mopre pwerful engine getting the better gas milage.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #21
kolomee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I don't get it how you all can discount the X1 before the release spec is finalised or at the very least have driven one. Do you all decide on which car to go for based on paper spec?

1. I am a committed petrolhead
2. I love cars
3. I love manuals
4. I love driving

I thoroughly test drive every manufacturer and model within a set range of requirements, its part of the fun.
At the risk of getting , for myself (and maybe there are still others out there like me who are a dying breed), the manual transmission is in the set range of requirements. Pretty much near the top, actually.

Sure, there are a lot of nice cars out there which are auto-only, and no doubt fun to drive in its own way. But at the end of the day, I ask myself, will I eventually miss the joy of having the third pedal and rowing my own gears? The answer is still a resounding YES; so any vehicle that can't be had with an MT gets crossed off the list automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
kolomee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
The M5 I believe was introduced in US only in manual format because of demand. Apparently the transmission was worse than the SMG - slower too (same for Ferrari California).

I applaud those who love manuals, but sometimes an auto makes sense. Currently in the UK and indeed South Africa the new X3 in 2.0d guise is not available in manual. But personally, I think this only makes sense in such a large car - imagine town parking in manual - it can't be fun.

I'm just surprised they offer manual 5s anywhere, not least in Canada esp. the bigger engined ones like the 550i. And I still think gadgets like iDrive combined with a manual requires much larger levels of concentration on the road - it's not safe to me.

But still - will not begrudge any manual lovers here! Oh and 911 lovers the next one will have a 7 speed manual. A first I believe. (When both hands will ever be on the steering though I don't know).
Is there really much of a difference between parking a car with a manual vs an automatic? Sure, the autobox might be easier to just hop in and drive if it's a car you're not familiar with, but after a bit of familiarization with the clutch, parking any car should be the same.

Same issue with the iDrive and MT. Not sure if anyone should really be fiddling around with the idrive while driving, stick shift or not. By the time you might deem yourself sufficiently familiar with iDrive to attempt it without losing concentration on the road, you would probably be proficient enough with the shifter to not think too much about it either.
Appreciate 0